PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to replace shocks??

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 11:38 AM
I have a 2012 RT with 6,000 +\- miles on it. It has a Bajaron sway bar and rides like a dream. The front tires are at 17 and the rear ones at 28. I keep the bile spotless, and I check everthing every time I clean it. There are no leaks from the front or rear shocks. The front shocks are on the middle setting.

A mechanic is telling me that the front shocks are worn out. This seems counter-intuitive to me because the bike rides like a dream. In cars I used to push down on a corner to see the damping effects of the shock absorbers. If the car bounced on the springs, I knew the shocks were worn out. Is there a similar and simple test for a Spyder? One that a non-mecanically inclined person such as myself can do? It is not that I don't trust the mechanic--it's just that after being taken a few tmes over the last 63 years, I just want to be able to confirm what I'm being told.

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
At 6000 miles? I hope not, but I don't know motorcycles well.

Chupaca
10-09-2013, 11:48 AM
there were some issues with the shocks and were replace by BRP. If that's the case they should change them. On the other hand it is strange they should tell you your shocks are worn if you have noticed nothing. With that mileage and the care you take it does seem odd. If you are set at the middle it would be soft to some and could be the reason. If they were bad you would notice it. I would get a second opinion before changing them...jmo..:dontknow:

jerpinoy
10-09-2013, 11:54 AM
It seems too early for a bad shock.

SpyderAnn01
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Some people have said that the stock shocks are throw aways but I don't agree. If your Soyder is handling fine I wouldn't change it that is unless they will give them to you under warranty

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks to all for confirming what I thought....leaves me with one question though...what kind of mileage should I expect from the front shocks? I used to replace shocks on my Yamaha every 15,000 just to ensure safety. But I have no idea on my RT...

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 12:27 PM
He's trying to sell some shocks... :gaah:

SpyRyd
10-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Thanks to all for confirming what I thought....leaves me with one question though...what kind of mileage should I expect from the front shocks? I used to replace shocks on my Yamaha every 15,000 just to ensure safety. But I have no idea on my RT...

I've got over 21,000 miles on my '12 RT Ltd and am still running the original shocks. I understand the 2012 models came with the best shocks then any of the earlier models.

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Some people have said that the stock shocks are throw aways but I don't agree. If your Soyder is handling fine I wouldn't change it that is unless they will give them to you under warranty

What's a Soyder?

Is that a Spyder made of soybeans? :popcorn:

lol

cuznjohn
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
i changed mine because the bike was nose diving and i bought the elkas and wow what a difference

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
kinda what I thought. But it's confirmed now. I'll find a new mechanic too.

BajaRon
10-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Anything is possible, of course. But the 2012 OEM shocks, while not on a plane with Elka's, are a pretty good units. They should be good for 20K or more. Can you get better shocks? Sure! Are your OEM shocks worn out? Very unlikely at 6K. Do you need new shocks? I doubt it.

Don't let someone talk you out of being happy with your ride. Consider the information but be prepared to toss it if it does not fit reality. Just because they are wearing a shop jacket with a name tag and get paid for what they do does not mean they are always right.

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Anything is possible, of course. But the 2012 OEM shocks, while not on a plane with Elka's, are a pretty good units. They should be good for 20K or more. Can you get better shocks? Sure! Are your OEM shocks worn out? Very unlikely at 6K. Do you need new shocks? I doubt it.

Don't let someone talk you out of being happy with your ride. Consider the information but be prepared to toss it if it does not fit reality. Just because they are wearing a shop jacket with a name tag and get paid for what they do does not mean they are always right.

Personally I appreciate your input on this.

It's nice to hear from informed people on subjects we seem to know little about, thanks. :thumbup:

OldCowboy
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM

:agree: No way in heck you need new shocks after 6000 miles. Any time a mechanic has told me I have bad shocks, he's been able to show me where they're leaking. If yours aren't leaking, you were having smoke blown up your :cus:.

NancysToy
10-09-2013, 05:10 PM
First I have to ask, what were the syptoms that made you ask your tech for his opinion...or did he just volunteer it? If he just volunteered it, remember that scheme is one of the oldest phony money makers in the automotive business. Few owners know how to check, and they panic at a planted drop of oil, a squeak, a scrape, or even just the mechanic's word. If you don't realize it is broken, you sure don't need to fix it! If this is the case, I'd find another dealer and turn this one in to BRP and the BBB.

If you are having problems, describe them and maybe we can suggest solutions. Your shocks are on a pretty low setting, and there is performance to be gained from the sounds of it. BTW, the old test of shocks is still the same...push down hard and see if it rebounds repeatedly or makes clanking noises. There are just fewer places to push on a Spyder, so you may need to be creative. If you are just worried, I'd suggest you wait until you notice performance degrading.

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I just want to know why, if a ST-S is a sportier version of a Spyder, why we don't have any shock adjustments? :banghead:

ulflyer
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
You'd get a better ride, with the shocks all the way up. It would seem stiffer at first but you'd soon notice that it handles better on curves and even out on interstate where there is lots of turbulence.

If you know anyone with a similar machine, test the two of them by putting your foot on one peg and pushing up and down to see how much it springs. Use your buddy's to compare. Otherwise go to a dealer and do the same with a new one to get a feel for it.

As others have said; highly unlikely yours are bad.

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM
I just want to know why, if a ST-S is a sportier version of a Spyder, why we don't have any shock adjustments? :banghead:

YOu don't get "shock adjustments"l becuase the new front suspensins are more sensitive to ride height changes...

Blue Star
10-09-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a 2012 RT with 6,000 +\- miles on it. It has a Bajaron sway bar and rides like a dream. The front tires are at 17 and the rear ones at 28. I keep the bile spotless, and I check everthing every time I clean it. There are no leaks from the front or rear shocks. The front shocks are on the middle setting.

A mechanic is telling me that the front shocks are worn out. This seems counter-intuitive to me because the bike rides like a dream. In cars I used to push down on a corner to see the damping effects of the shock absorbers. If the car bounced on the springs, I knew the shocks were worn out. Is there a similar and simple test for a Spyder? One that a non-mecanically inclined person such as myself can do? It is not that I don't trust the mechanic--it's just that after being taken a few tmes over the last 63 years, I just want to be able to confirm what I'm being told.

Dan,
As you know we both bought our RT-S a couple months apart. I am currently at 6200 +/- miles (not bad since I am not retired), so I will go outside and check mine. Okay, I just went out and did the push test on my Spyder, and the shocks seem just fine. On a side note, I have mine set at the high (5) setting. I would be very skeptical of this mechanic, and did he know you have the Bajaron sway bar installed?

Blue Star
10-09-2013, 05:33 PM
You'd get a better ride, with the shocks all the way up. It would seem stiffer at first but you'd soon notice that it handles better on curves and even out on interstate where there is lots of turbulence.

If you know anyone with a similar machine, test the two of them by putting your foot on one peg and pushing up and down to see how much it springs. Use your buddy's to compare. Otherwise go to a dealer and do the same with a new one to get a feel for it.

As others have said; highly unlikely yours are bad.

Dan,
Are you going to the meeting Saturday? If so, you can compare mine to yours since ours are so close in mileage.

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 05:38 PM
YOu don't get "shock adjustments"l becuase the new front suspensins are more sensitive to ride height changes...

Hmm...so what happens if I decide to buy Elkas?

Worthless change?

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Dan,
As you know we both bought our RT-S a couple months apart. I am currently at 6200 +/- miles (not bad since I am not retired), so I will go outside and check mine. Okay, I just went out and did the push test on my Spyder, and the shocks seem just fine. On a side note, I have mine set at the high (5) setting. I would be very skeptical of this mechanic, and did he know you have the Bajaron sway bar installed?

Im thinking I would go down this mechanics throat w a word or two!

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Hmm...so what happens if I decide to buy Elkas?

Worthless change?
Not at all!
But put BajaRon's Anti-SwayBar on first... :thumbup:

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Not at all!
But put BajaRon's Anti-SwayBar on first... :thumbup:

Thanks

been trying, but he's been sold out. :(

There is is a company on eBay that sells lots of Spyder sway bars, maybe he stocks them?

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
:lecturef_smilie: ONLY put a RonBar under the snout of your ST! nojoke
It'll be worth the wait...

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 06:28 PM
I'm not very patient. lol

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 06:34 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Careful; Your Missus might mistake impatience for boredom... Then she'll break out the job jar to cure it...:yikes:

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
At the moment she's totally pissed over a certain company sending me the wrong HID kit after spending 3.5 hours working on it, so I'm not mentioning ANY mods! lol

BajaRon
10-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Thanks

been trying, but he's been sold out. :(

There is is a company on eBay that sells lots of Spyder sway bars, maybe he stocks them?

I have had a continuous stock of sway bars for every Spyder model all summer. Not sure why you think I'm 'Sold Out' of them. I can ship one out to you tomorrow.

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 11:15 PM
Dan,
Are you going to the meeting Saturday? If so, you can compare mine to yours since ours are so close in mileage.
We can't go this Sat--a cruise ship has berths waiting for us! I plan on the Oct 20th meet though.

Dan_Ashley
10-09-2013, 11:18 PM
First I have to ask, what were the syptoms that made you ask your tech for his opinion...or did he just volunteer it? If he just volunteered it, remember that scheme is one of the oldest phony money makers in the automotive business. Few owners know how to check, and they panic at a planted drop of oil, a squeak, a scrape, or even just the mechanic's word. If you don't realize it is broken, you sure don't need to fix it! If this is the case, I'd find another dealer and turn this one in to BRP and the BBB.

If you are having problems, describe them and maybe we can suggest solutions. Your shocks are on a pretty low setting, and there is performance to be gained from the sounds of it. BTW, the old test of shocks is still the same...push down hard and see if it rebounds repeatedly or makes clanking noises. There are just fewer places to push on a Spyder, so you may need to be creative. If you are just worried, I'd suggest you wait until you notice performance degrading.

Thanks! There are apparently no issues with my shocks, but issues with the mechanic! Thank you for helping me out on this. I did the test like some suggested, and my shocks are just fine.

Blue Star
10-10-2013, 01:03 AM
We can't go this Sat--a cruise ship has berths waiting for us! I plan on the Oct 20th meet though.

I'll tell you what. I will take your place on the cruise ship, and you can compare the bikes. I am sure Dee won't mind. Oh wait, then I wont be there. Have fun on your cruise.

WhiteFang
10-10-2013, 01:22 AM
whats your warranty on the OEM shocks?

SNOOPY
10-10-2013, 05:28 AM
I have had a continuous stock of sway bars for every Spyder model all summer. Not sure why you think I'm 'Sold Out' of them. I can ship one out to you tomorrow.

Speaking of the heim joints, I have the ones they say are bad. You told me you have been sold out. Been waiting to order both together ? :dontknow:

BajaRon
10-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks! There are apparently no issues with my shocks, but issues with the mechanic! Thank you for helping me out on this. I did the test like some suggested, and my shocks are just fine.

I would say Spyderlovers has saved owners a lot of money on unnecessary stuff, and cost them a lot of money for stuff you just gotta have! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
10-10-2013, 09:41 AM
I think that you're 100% correct... :shocked: :D

BajaRon
10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Speaking of the heim joints, I have the ones they say are bad. You told me you have been sold out. Been waiting to order both together ? :dontknow:

I am sold out of the Heim Joint Links. I cleaned out the supplier for the components and I cannot find anyone else that carries the same or comparable quality units. I could get lesser quality parts and they would probably work ok. But I just hate doing business that way.

The Heim Joint Links are extremely easy to install at any time. You remove Bolt #3 and Nut #4 (2 on each side), remove the old HJL (#38), insert the new HJL, replace the 2 nuts/bolts and you're done. You will have to raise the front of the Spyder enough to get under it.

I understand you're wanting to install the HJL's at the same time as the bar goes in. That makes sense. But it may be a few more weeks before I can get the links in stock.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/Diag2-2013RTLinka_zpsbadc2f78.jpg?t=1381417130

If you have the recalled OEM composite plastic links (#4 with no paint dot) BRP will replace them at no charge. Those have been breaking with the stock sway bar.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/Spyder/BadLink_zps17c421d0.jpg