PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS

bjt
07-09-2008, 07:32 AM
Any GPS really.

Here's the scenario...

I have a Garmin Zumo 450. It is listed as being waterproof. After I left the GPS on the bike, outdoors, in two torrential downpours, it seems to take longer than it used to to initially acquire the GPS satellites. Before, if I left the Spyder parked outside, when I turned it on again the GPS came up "locked in" with GPS satellites already acquired. Now, every time I start the Spyder, whether indoors or out, the GPS has to acquire the satellites which is taking about a minute. I know that a minute is not that long and in no way affects my use of the GPS. I'm just concerned that the rain may have affected it and it may be breaking down. Do any other GPS owners leave their GPS on the bikes, in the elements, 24/7? Any thoughts, ideas, advice?

SpyderMark
07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Do any other GPS owners leave their GPS on the bikes, in the elements, 24/7? Any thoughts, ideas, advice?

According to Garmin, your Zumo 450 is waterproof to the IPX7 standard. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. The device is meant to be used while riding in the rain, so a couple of downpours sitting still shouldn't cause any problems.

That being said, I'm not sure I would leave one out in the elements continuously. I wouldn't be as concerned with rain as much as sun -- heat kills electronics rather quickly. The device gets a good supply of cooling air if you use it while riding; sitting still it gets only whatever breeze is available.

Then again, the problem may have nothing whatsoever to do with the elements, it may just be malfunctioning. Since it sports a high-sensitivity receiver, it should get a lock in much less than a minute. Your best bet would be to contact Garmin's tech support people and see if there is anything you can do to troubleshoot/repair it yourself (software/firmware upgrades, hard reset, etc).

Regards,

Mark

Rokonman
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
You may want to remove the unit from its mount and check the operation while using it's internal, battery power. If your hardwired, circuit is "switched" and the battery is not up to standards, you could experience a "cold" start every time you turn on the ignition. Just a thought.