PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a 'canisterectomy' on an ST ?

nhoj
10-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Where did you run the vent line?

What did your dealer think?

Thanks, John

SNOOPY
10-07-2013, 07:05 PM
I thought the canister was there for a reason?:dontknow:

Maybe you could route the vent to the muffler so you could have flames like those 50's cars?

Just kidding kiddies, don't try this at home. :disclaimer:

capt.jim
10-07-2013, 10:20 PM
I did mine last week, connect the tank vent to the other overflow line from the canister with a plastic or preferably metal connector or inline fuel filter. They are 2 different size hoses, but I think a 1/4" fitting should fit both, with the tank side being a tighter fit. Be sure to plug the hose going to the purge valve and leave the purge valve electrical plug connected. My dealer said "good for you".

SNOOPY
10-08-2013, 05:26 AM
I did mine last week, connect the tank vent to the other overflow line from the canister with a plastic or preferably metal connector or inline fuel filter. They are 2 different size hoses, but I think a 1/4" fitting should fit both, with the tank side being a tighter fit. Be sure to plug the hose going to the purge valve and leave the purge valve electrical plug connected. My dealer said "good for you".

So what is the real benefit here?

nhoj
10-08-2013, 07:46 AM
So what is the real benefit here?

The cannister is a source of many discussions lately. Search in the GS/RS shop talk forum as they were quite active in removing the cannister.

Some of the reasons to remove it:
-It can't melt if it isn't there
-Reduction in 'gas smell' after shutting the bike off
-Gas dripping on the floor from the cannister overflow tube
-The 'good' effects of having one are eliminated once you overfill your gas tank and the cannister is flooded
-More space under the panels. Its crowded under there and freeing up space can only help heat flow.

Others may suggest more benefits

SNOOPY
10-08-2013, 01:31 PM
The cannister is a source of many discussions lately. Search in the GS/RS shop talk forum as they were quite active in removing the cannister.

Some of the reasons to remove it:
-It can't melt if it isn't there
-Reduction in 'gas smell' after shutting the bike off
-Gas dripping on the floor from the cannister overflow tube
-The 'good' effects of having one are eliminated once you overfill your gas tank and the cannister is flooded
-More space under the panels. Its crowded under there and freeing up space can only help heat flow.

Others may suggest more benefits

Now that hat does sound good, what are the downsides?

I imagine can be a problem if you need warranty of something w the engine.

Bob Denman
10-08-2013, 02:34 PM
The downsides... :shocked:
If a BRP tech ever catches you; he'll smack you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper! :lecturef_smilie:

DrewNJ
10-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Another benefit is that it makes the machine run a slightly richer at idle, decel and part throttle (times when normally purging air from the canister).

My dealer didn't even blink when having to do my water pump, which is pretty much right behind where the canister would be. He even put the hoses I had modded back the way I had them when putting everything back together.

Why do some think it would cause a warranty issue? How would a missing canister cause another part to fail? If anything it simplifies the system for less failures.

SNOOPY
10-08-2013, 04:15 PM
....Why do some think it would cause a warranty issue? How would a missing canister cause another part to fail? If anything it simplifies the system for less failures.

Because manufacturers will use any excuse they can not to cover a part.

SNOOPY
10-08-2013, 04:16 PM
The downsides... :shocked:
If a BRP tech ever catches you; he'll smack you on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper! :lecturef_smilie:

I'd pee on his tires when he isn't looking. :dog:

DrewNJ
10-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Because manufacturers will use any excuse they can not to cover a part.

Guess it depends on the work.
I've been into modded bikes, jetskis, jeeps and now the Spyder. Never have been denied a warranty repair for something that broke unrelated to a mod that's been in place.

The key is to build a good relationship with the dealer. They make the call and have the ability to make a big deal about something or not. Mine doesn't care about most of the mods we do because we aren't trying to get something covered that shouldn't be.
WAY to many people on here are to quick to go directly to BRP first. By doing that you burn the bridge with your dealer.

If your that worried about your dealer making stink about the missing canister you could always put it back on if you have to take it in for work. It takes only a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SNOOPY
10-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Guess it depends on the work.
I've been into modded bikes, jetskis, jeeps and now the Spyder. Never have been denied a warranty repair for something that broke unrelated to a mod that's been in place.

The key is to build a good relationship with the dealer. They make the call and have the ability to make a big deal about something or not. Mine doesn't care about most of the mods we do because we aren't trying to get something covered that shouldn't be.
WAY to many people on here are to quick to go directly to BRP first. By doing that you burn the bridge with your dealer.

If your that worried about your dealer making stink about the missing canister you could always put it back on if you have to take it in for work. It takes only a few minutes.

Guess I could ask the service tech in advance how the service dept feels about certain things I'd like to change and how it might effect warranty. Like the canister, aftermarket muffler, etc.

Bob Denman
10-09-2013, 08:01 AM
Do NOT call them and ask this! :lecturef_smilie:
You already know what the answers are; don't pin a target on your collar!

And the dealer doesn't have the final say with warranty issues. The parts in question are sent back to bRP; they probably look them over carefully! :shocked:

SNOOPY
10-09-2013, 09:31 AM
Do NOT call them and ask this! :lecturef_smilie:
You already know what the answers are; don't pin a target on your collar!

And the dealer doesn't have the final say with warranty issues. The parts in question are sent back to bRP; they probably look them over carefully! :shocked:

I was thinking asking them face to face how they felt about minor mods like the canister removal, exhaust changes. This way I could get a feel of how they feel. :dontknow:

The good side is some of these service guys where I bought at, also ride Spyders.

ncll
10-10-2013, 11:40 PM
I was thinking asking them face to face how they felt about minor mods like the canister removal, exhaust changes. This way I could get a feel of how they feel. :dontknow:

The good side is some of these service guys where I bought at, also ride Spyders.

I just got my yellow 2013 Rt back today from recall. It was there for 31 days. The double brake cylinder and the evaporator canister had melted along with various tube etc.
The tech said the bike should have caught fire. I was lucky.
I asked about removing the evaporator canister and was informed that it would void the warranty.
Until the warranty runs out I'll risk it.

SNOOPY
10-11-2013, 06:11 AM
I just got my yellow 2013 Rt back today from recall. It was there for 31 days. The double brake cylinder and the evaporator canister had melted along with various tube etc.
The tech said the bike should have caught fire. I was lucky.
I asked about removing the evaporator canister and was informed that it would void the warranty.
Until the warranty runs out I'll risk it.

Thank you, and that is ridiculous that it was in the shop that long!

Bob Denman
10-11-2013, 06:53 AM
:agree: 31 days :shocked:; your patience is amazing! :2thumbs:

DrewNJ
10-11-2013, 12:52 PM
No manufacturer can void a warranty entirely for a mod. It doesn't work that way.
It's kind of funny that some of you are worried about a warranty being voided by removing the canister but have no concern about the warranty when wiring up a bunch of aftermarket lights or swapping out the exhaust.