PDA

View Full Version : Recall fix Came unglued

kubie
10-06-2013, 05:15 PM
I had the right side plastic off today to see if I could find out why my Break lights are sticking and staying on, and noticed that the recall fix that goes around the vapor can was unglued and hanging down I tried to stick it back on but I don't think its going to stay. any ideas on what to put on it to keep it stuck?

Before you ask I think the break solenoid switch is going bad The I can here it click but it doesn't always click off, I took it to the dealer for the 4600 mile service and he couldn't fix it because he couldn't get it to stick on. so I thought I would find it and see if I could fix it..... Ummmm NO!!!! its tucked in behind the passenger floor boards in between the frame and the cat converter. and I couldn't get to it, so it will have to go back to the dealer. Its been in limp mode twice because the light stuck on, and drained the battery once when I backed into the Spyder shed and didn't see the break light on when I closed the doors! My Spyder (The Silver Streak) is a 2013 ST-S with 4750 miles. Any one else have the break lights sticking on?

Kubie

cuznjohn
10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
my dealer said to me all the 13's are having this problem and no fix for it yet. i find myself checking every time i get off the bike

kubie
10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
I Check all the time now even when I'm ryding down the road. I put the toe of my boot under the pedel and lift. just to make sure its off!:banghead::banghead::yikes:

willey
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
We have a 2013 with 11,000 miles.The brake light never sticks.

capt.jim
10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
My brake light has only stuck once so far. A couple tie wraps around the canister should hold the heat shield on there. Mine is now sitting on the shelf next to my 08 GS canister.

SNOOPY
10-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Never had the brake problem.

As far as the heat shield to canister, clean the canister good w/ alcohol or a plastic prep cleaner and re adhere the shield.

twain
10-06-2013, 07:00 PM
I had the same problem with brake light sticking. Bike kept going into limp mode the VSS failure. Took into shop and the brake switches were bad due to the heat from my ST. The changed them out and no more issues. Completely drained a new battery. Maybe this will help.

NancysToy
10-06-2013, 07:02 PM
It is important that the heat shield problem is reported to the dealer ASAP. If the fix is prone to failure, the safety of all the recalled Spyders is at stake. BRP won't be aware unless it is reported. The problem could be as simple as needing to add a step to the procedure to clean the canister before installing the shield, or it could have been due to an error on the technician's part, but it is important to report it and have it addressed.

The sticking brake light problem has a service bulletin describing the repairs. In some cases shaving the rubber stopper does not do the job and the switch must be replaced. Your dealer should be able to take care of this for you if you report it. If not, you need a new dealer.

billybovine
10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
It is important that the heat shield problem is reported to the dealer ASAP. If the fix is prone to failure, the safety of all the recalled Spyders is at stake. BRP won't be aware unless it is reported. The problem could be as simmple as needing to add a step to the procedure to clean the canister before installing the shield, or it could have been due to an error on the technician's part, but it is important to report it and have it addressed.

The sticking brake light problem has a service bulletin describing the repairs. In some cases shaving the rubber stopper does not do the job and the switch must be replaced. Your dealer should be able to take care of this for you if you report it. If not, you need a new dealer.

:agree: On both counts.

Chupaca
10-07-2013, 12:04 AM
:agree: with both of them...!!

Magdave
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
My canister was loose bouncing around near the header. Tech told be it was because the fix was so thick it doesn't want to stay clipped in place.:dontknow:

jerpinoy
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
The heat always cause the problem.

Huddleston
10-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I had the right side plastic off today to see if I could find out why my Break lights are sticking and staying on, and noticed that the recall fix that goes around the vapor can was unglued and hanging down I tried to stick it back on but I don't think its going to stay. any ideas on what to put on it to keep it stuck? ...
Kubie

When I suggested that the recall fix was a band aid and that there is still a fire potential, even though reduced, I was jumped on with both feet. I remain unconvinced that the potential is eliminated. However, my canister will not melt again, sitting in a storage box.

3 Wheel Addict
10-07-2013, 03:56 PM
When I suggested that the recall fix was a band aid and that there is still a fire potential, even though reduced, I was jumped on with both feet. I remain unconvinced that the potential is eliminated. However, my canister will not melt again, sitting in a storage box.
Who jumped on you? Cause your right! They did nothing to fix the source just protect the items that could melt.

Edsts
10-16-2013, 07:57 PM
These units was built on Friday or Monday ,

friday techs were in a rush to go drinking
Monday techs were way too tired and mess it all up, lol :yes:

SNOOPY
10-16-2013, 08:01 PM
:shocked:

DrewNJ
10-17-2013, 08:01 AM

I hear what your saying. Many times the best advice falls on the deaf ears of sheep, following the masses that are to busy drinking the forum kool-aid....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk