PDA

View Full Version : Scorpio Alarm - Key Fob Distance

rsuthers
07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
For those of you with a Scorpio Alarm. When the alarm is set to go off, how close do you need to be to the bike for it not to trigger. I'm not talking about the 1/2 mile range of the key fob, but the distance to the bike where you don't set off an alarm if you sit on it or whatever. Thanks!

spydersam
07-08-2008, 08:11 PM
When mine was working it seemed to be fairly close, within 10ft.

retread
07-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Please explain "when mine was working" I'm planning on buying a Scorpion alarm, and would like info. Thanks.

spydersam
07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Please explain "when mine was working" I'm planning on buying a Scorpion alarm, and would like info. Thanks.

LOL OK....
I purchased an I900 with the custom harness for the Spyder (more on that in a minute). I installed the unit with the perimeter sensor but left out the kill module. Even with the custom harness you will need to splice a single wire to install the kill module if you want it. It was not that important to me as I was purchasing the Scorpio because I work at a school and liked the idea of being notified on the remote if the kids decided to sit on my bike. It was working perfect for a about a week. I was at an outdoor event and noticed the signal icon was blinking which was not normal. When I went to leave I could not disarm the alarm. I ended up driving down the road with the alarm going off :opps:
Thank goodness I did not have the kill switch module in.
All said and done I contacted Scorpio and they are sendng me a replacement main module and remote. After further investigation I believe my remote is what went bad. The replacement unit is due here tomorrow and should take me less than 30 minutes to put back in.
On a side note there is a way with the I900 to program in a sequence of blinker lights to manually disarm the alarm without the remote. I did program it in when I installed the unit, the problem was I could not remember how to activate the system to enter it so I could not manually disarm it where I was. When the replacement comes you can bet that I will place those instructions somewhere on the bike in case it happens again.
The unit is very easy to install with the harness, I never did bother to find out which wire needs to be spliced for the kill module. If you want to use that portion of the alarm you will need to find out.
Scorpio is sending the replacement with a box for me to return the old one. Their support was responsive but they did not have another unit to send me immediately, it took a few days for them to get stock. I ended up ordering a second remote with the replacement but I am second guessing that now as I cant keep it on the bike or the alarm would never arm.
While the unit was working I did like it allot. I have the rear seat bag from BRP and I could keep stuff in it and not worry about it as much as if someone went into it as I would be paged up to 1/2 mile away.
Let me know if you have any other questions and I can let you know how things work out.

retread
07-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks, I'm stacking up a bunch of stuff to buy/install when the snow flies (good weather = ryding), and want to make sure what I get will do what it should.

Extracool
11-24-2008, 06:30 PM
You mentioned a custom harness, I talked to a Scorpio representitive today 11/24/08 he said they do not have a custom harness for the Spyder that you have to buy a general harness?

araneae
11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
I'd say 10 ft is about right on the deactivation range for the remote. I hooked up the kill feature but the range is no where near 1/2 mile, I guess that is under ideal conditions. Best I got testing it in the neighborhood was about 500 feet to kill the engine. The perimeter alarm works great and has alerted me a few times when the curious get a little to close while at work.

Bryan

SSPSpyder
11-25-2008, 02:53 AM
I have the I600 - the perimeter sensor is adjustable

jetskier
02-12-2009, 03:05 AM
Scorpio confirmed it is 10ft.