PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas on how to mount gauge.

kman
10-06-2013, 04:50 AM
I am going to install a afr gauge on my Spyder and would like some ideas on how and where to mount the gauge.I have a 2008 RS.Also it looks as if the only place to weld in the bung for the o2 sensor is opposite the stock sensor or possibly on the Hindle exhaust pipe in front of the muffler.

MikeinGA
10-06-2013, 10:18 PM
I am going to install a afr gauge on my Spyder and would like some ideas on how and where to mount the gauge.I have a 2008 RS.Also it looks as if the only place to weld in the bung for the o2 sensor is opposite the stock sensor or possibly on the Hindle exhaust pipe in front of the muffler.

What afr gauge?

Mike

james danny
10-06-2013, 10:30 PM
What afr gauge?Mike air fuel ratio gauge

Chupaca
10-07-2013, 12:24 AM
why can't you read off the exsisting 02 sensor..?? As for the gauge..assuming it is the standard size, might be tough. Not a whole lot of room for one that size. Maybe in one of the dash mount cases used in cars. :dontknow:

kman
10-07-2013, 02:55 AM
why can't you read off the exsisting 02 sensor..?? As for the gauge..assuming it is the standard size, might be tough. Not a whole lot of room for one that size. Maybe in one of the dash mount cases used in cars. :dontknow:

vtspyder had a video on mounting one but when I clicked on it,it said video no longer exits.I don't think you can just tap into existing bung and get accurate readings.I am installing a wideband gauge from Innovative Motorsports.I have the Juicebox pro and want to tweak my map for the different riding conditions.My Spyder is running good but I feel like I am running a little too rich.

DrewNJ
10-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I'm in the process of doing the same with an innovate mtx-l on our Spyder. Not sure yet where to mount the gauge. So far it's either looking at doing a pod on the steering just above and to the side of the key OR I might do some tinted plastic and integrate the gauge UNDER the front plastic where the tank bag would sit. This would make it only visible when the gauge is lit....

For a bung I'm not sure either. I don't want to go directly across from the stock O2. Might go slightly downstream or swap the o2 and afr upstream/downstream....gotta do some homework for sure.

Gene, you can't tap into the existing sensor. The stock o2 sensor is a narrow band sensor (think on-off switch). The innovate mtx-l is a wide band to be more accurate. Using a narrow band afr would be a total waste of time.

kman
10-20-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm in the process of doing the same with an innovate mtx-l on our RSV powered spyder. Not sure yet where to mount the gauge. So far it's either looking at doing a pod on the steering just above and to the side of the key OR I might do some tinted plastic and integrate the gauge UNDER the front plastic where the tank bag would sit. This would make it only visible when the gauge is lit....

For a bung I'm not sure either. I don't want to go directly across from the stock O2. Might go slightly downstream or swap the o2 and afr upstream/downstream....gotta do some homework for sure.

Gene, you can't tap into the existing sensor. The stock o2 sensor is a narrow band sensor (think on-off switch). The innovate mtx-l is a wide band to be more accurate. Using a narrow band afr would be a total waste of time.
Well,I mounted it in a pod to the left of the key.I didn't want to put the bung across from the stock sensor either so I had it welded on the Hindle exhaust just in front of the muffler.Just an fyi I am running the Juicebox pro on map 3 and get afr readings from 12.8/1to 13.2/1 in most of the rpm range.I amgoing to tweak it some to see if I can run a little leaner when cruising and may even load the zero map to see what it does with the stock mapping with my set-up.

DrewNJ
10-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Awesome info! Thanks for sharing.
I was kind of thinking of the same mounting area but wasn't sure if it would be to far downstream.
I'm currently running an HMF pipe with only an O2 modifier so initially the afr will go directly into the stock o2 bung. The machine runs great but I have a feeling I'm slightly rich down low/off idle. I'll report back later in the week once I get everything hooked up. If it needs tweaking I'm going power commander V. But skipping the auto tune.
Very cool to see someone else tuning the right way with an AFR.

Any pics of your pod mount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kman
10-20-2013, 07:48 AM

DrewNJ
10-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Worked great! Thanks!
That gauge is much bigger on there than I imagined it to be!:yikes: