PDA

View Full Version : Tank Bag Idea

LittleJohn
07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I havent done this yet, but plan on looking into it. I thought Id share this idea with all of you in case any of you want to try it as well.
Ive seen other "plastic" bike owners remedy the limited tank bag selection in the following way.

Find a magnetic tank bag that meets your size / shape requirements.
Note where the magnets hit the "tank" area
Place either magnets or metal strips on the back side of that panel where the magnet hits (using a strong adhesive)

Voila, you can now use your magnetic tank bag and easily remove / install it as if you had a metal tank.

jeuchler
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I havent done this yet, but plan on looking into it. I thought Id share this idea with all of you in case any of you want to try it as well.
Ive seen other "plastic" bike owners remedy the limited tank bag selection in the following way.

Place either magnets or metal strips on the back side of that panel where the magnet hits (using a strong adhesive)

Voila, you can now use your magnetic tank bag and easily remove / install it as if you had a metal tank.

That is a cool idea, LittleJohn.

I have never, ever demagged a computer with a magnet nearby, and I even had a co-worker whose wife left a pair of neodymium magnets on his CPU case without harm (!). However, I wonder if a magnet strong enough to extend a field through the plastic panel might cause any of the "computers" on board to go kerfluey? :dontknow:

hevnbound
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
It's a great idea and it's been done before very successfully. Howsomever ... the unusual slope, the upside down "V" shape and small
flat spot on top makes it very hard - if not impossible - to find a bag that
will conform to the contour!! I've tried!

The closest I've come is the Scotty bag by Held USA. It has a unique fitment system but it doesn't work. The bag leans to the right or the left depending on the weight distribution you put inside!!

I just don't like the plain-jane looks of the BRP bag and the colors are obviously designed only for the Black/Silver Spyder. I'm going to try to
figure out a way to modify the fitment system of the Scotdty.

If you or anyone comes up with a good alternative to the BRP bag, let us all know!!

http://www.kneedraggers.com/image_storage/5/52/5521d30ca3258a91ff65821016d845da_refined.jpg (http://www.kneedraggers.com/image_storage/5/52/5521d30ca3258a91ff65821016d845da_rough.jpg)

bjt
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I have tried the metal under the plastic and a magnetic bag. That doesn't work as well as it would seem. The plastic was just too thick for the magnets that came with the tank bag. There was magnetic attraction but not enough to hold the tank bag in place at all. I contemplated getting stronger magnets for the tank bag or magnets to install under the plastic but I just decided to pop a couple of snaps in the plastic just under the front edge of the seat and put two hooks on the front of the bag. Those hooks then attach to the big rings under the handlebars.

The maker of the tank bag? iCon. It is a very flexible bag that fits on the tank area very well because of it's lack of stiff lining to make it conform to a certain shape. It's not perfect but it works okay and it was quite a bit cheaper than the BRP tank bag.

I'm still waiting to see if Nelson-Rigg comes up with a Spyder specific tank bag like they alluded to a while back.

barkingspyder
07-08-2008, 11:22 PM

I've seen this on Buell forums. The users were very happy when using strong magnets under the plastics. Now where did they find these magnets????

scottmanesis
07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
I hope that Bagster makes a tank bag system for the Spyder..........their tank covers look good even when not using it to hold down a tank bag. Here is it installed on Pashnits busa.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4317

hevnbound
07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
I hope that Bagster makes a tank bag system for the Spyder..........their tank covers look good even when not using it to hold down a tank bag. Here is it installed on Pashnits busa.

Agree 110%!! I have one on my current '07 Suxuki Bandit. Had one on my; Honda ST1300 & VFR, Ducati ST3 and ST1100. I love the flexibility of the different bags available and when I sold each bike, the tank looked like it just came off of the showroom. They offer some security since the majority of bikers have no idea on how to take the bag off. I emailed them earlier about the Spyder but received no response.