PDA

View Full Version : Current update on my 13 RT-S

3 Wheel Addict
10-04-2013, 06:40 AM
I really can't understand how some of us are having the extreme heat issues and some are not on the same year and models? I went back to my dealer last night and i'm seriously considering going back to a Goldwing. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong but i'm logging gas cap temps around 150 to 160 degrees and it's not summer time anymore. Sometimes I swear I can smell plastic burning? They did get my fuel smell in the garage problem solved even though they said there was nothing wrong, clearly something was fixed?? I think the thing handles poorly and it darts all over the road. My shift switch is now getting stuck (sometimes)! The new thing is that it stalls at traffic lights. After talking with them in the past they want to charge me money for diagnostics because warranty don't pay unless there is a problem, is that my fault... it's the whole "can't fix it if it ain't broke" thing. I suppose I could start buying some things to address the heat issues, like wrapping the pipes or adding extra vents but should I have to? Reading this forum as well as other forums there is quite a few that have the issues that I have and I don't mean the heat on the leg thing either I mean a real concern the it will catch fire! How does a person put that out of their mind while riding? (current status 25 days old 578 miles)

charles4690
10-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I really can't understand how some of us are having the extreme heat issues and some are not on the same year and models? I went back to my dealer last night and i'm seriously considering going back to a Goldwing. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong but i'm logging gas cap temps around 150 to 160 degrees and it's not summer time anymore. Sometimes I swear I can smell plastic burning? They did get my fuel smell in the garage problem solved even though they said there was nothing wrong, clearly something was fixed?? I think the thing handles poorly and it darts all over the road. My shift switch is now getting stuck (sometimes)! The new thing is that it stalls at traffic lights. After talking with them in the past they want to charge me money for diagnostics because warranty don't pay unless there is a problem, is that my fault... it's the whole "can't fix it if it ain't broke" thing. I suppose I could start buying some things to address the heat issues, like wrapping the pipes or adding extra vents but should I have to? Reading this forum as well as other forums there is quite a few that have the issues that I have and I don't mean the heat on the leg thing either I mean a real concern the it will catch fire! How does a person put that out of their mind while riding? (current status 25 days old 578 miles) I have the same problems and have been told by two diff dealers that they are all like that and run hot. This is not much fun anymore. I have been letting the Spyder sit and riding my two wheeler. Cant figure out a plan to correct the heat issues or move on to something else. Maybe with the cooler season coming it wont run so hot.

flamingobabe
10-04-2013, 08:28 AM
told by two diff dealers that they are all like that and run hot.

this is not acceptable to me.....the 2013'sRT and ST are HOT.....multiple problems.....I just had a tech ...find an exhaust leak and it seems to have helped on the heat some....the gasket was burnt down to the copper.....so was it a faulty gasket? or poor production of gaskets? or the extreme heat from exhaust? I know that I had about 4000 miles on my bike when all the heat started....gas cap too hot to touch, boiling gas, heat rising out of vents near handlebar area, panels extremely hot....bike stalling or surging....and on and on...then at 7500 miles we found the melted master cylinder....BRP has been taking care of me since...I have a case #...and do not want that case closed until all is right....

real concern the it will catch fire! How does a person put that out of their mind while riding? (current status 25 days old 578 miles) that is a hard one....good luck...have your dealer check for exhaust leaks...gaskets

MidLifeCrisis
10-04-2013, 08:31 AM
Lose the splash pans and do all of the above. Wrap the pipes and insulate what you can. It all adds up to a comfy ride. Gone are the days when you could tell your shop something is wrong and have them listen. Now they plug machines in and if no code shows up, it aint broke.

I just ended up replacing my trucks rear air-springs, shocks and auto levelers myself after the dealer charged me $65 to tell me all was well. The rear would drop to the axles and ride like a low rider for no reason. The bags ended having a small leak and the levelers were shot. Had someone actually looked, they would have seen them. They made off with a free $65 though. Still convinced my shocks went out, because of the rear dropping like it would...funny how it all happened at the same time. The computer didn't see anything wrong and the tech couldn't see anything wrong with my truck sitting 4 inches lower than the one next to it.

cuznjohn
10-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I really can't understand how some of us are having the extreme heat issues and some are not on the same year and models? I went back to my dealer last night and i'm seriously considering going back to a Goldwing. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong but i'm logging gas cap temps around 150 to 160 degrees and it's not summer time anymore. Sometimes I swear I can smell plastic burning? They did get my fuel smell in the garage problem solved even though they said there was nothing wrong, clearly something was fixed?? I think the thing handles poorly and it darts all over the road. My shift switch is now getting stuck (sometimes)! The new thing is that it stalls at traffic lights. After talking with them in the past they want to charge me money for diagnostics because warranty don't pay unless there is a problem, is that my fault... it's the whole "can't fix it if it ain't broke" thing. I suppose I could start buying some things to address the heat issues, like wrapping the pipes or adding extra vents but should I have to? Reading this forum as well as other forums there is quite a few that have the issues that I have and I don't mean the heat on the leg thing either I mean a real concern the it will catch fire! How does a person put that out of their mind while riding? (current status 25 days old 578 miles)

my heat under the seat area is something i can live with i think because i avoid traffic jams as much as possible. but last sunday when riding at speeds from 65 to 75 my heat gauge was running almost all the way to hot. i was at a point where i was riding with my right foot extended out to the side past the front wheel to try to cool it down. i have a hand brake so i was not too worried about the brake if i needed it. as far as going all over the road i have the ron sway bar and had the ball joints changed and the elka shocks installed and the bike runs straight now, the ball joints were a recall but we should not have to pay for better shocks and sway bars. i have just over 1000 miles on it but to be honest i seem to avoid just taking joy rides like i used to with friends during the week

SpyderAnn01
10-04-2013, 08:58 AM

I think you should contact BRP and have them open a case file. Explain to them all of the issues that you are having and get them to authorize your dealer to look further into things. What has your dealer done to address the handling issues with you? There were some bad shocks on the 2013 RT, I had them on mine, and after they were replaced my handling improved greatly. I had taken mine into my dealer for the handling and they said that mine handled better than the dealer demo (I had BajaRon's sway bar on mine) I got BRP involved and was authorized to have the shocks changed and when the dealer rode it after they realized that their demo had bad shocks also. Good luck

3 Wheel Addict
10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
to be honest i seem to avoid just taking joy rides like i used to with friends during the week

That's a real shame that it has come to that. Joy rides is what it's all about. I'm concerned that my wife won't get on it and ride with me. The handling issue is worse for her. I have a Ron bar coming but do I really want to put more parts on it if I won't keep it. It's a real shame...

cuznjohn
10-04-2013, 11:14 AM
That's a real shame that it has come to that. Joy rides is what it's all about. I'm concerned that my wife won't get on it and ride with me. The handling issue is worse for her. I have a Ron bar coming but do I really want to put more parts on it if I won't keep it. It's a real shame...

i have a few led add on's i want to install but have not because i don't know for sure if i am keeping mine, i also removed the vented windshield and put the original back on, i removed a few led lights i installed and took the air horn out just in case i trade it in. i still have the original seat to put on and than i am going to put the original exhaust back and take the hand brake off as soon as i hear from the dealer with a trade in value. i called today but the sales man said the boos is handling personally being i am good friends with people he knows. so that worries me now lol

MrLooney
10-04-2013, 12:11 PM

I have a 2011 RS~S and I have had steering problem in the past. I changed to the Ron Bar, RT Shocks, shock relocaters and a LASER ALIGNMENT. But never had / have any real heat issues.
I did remove the RT shocks and went back to my stock ones because of the shock relocaters.

Now I am happy as a clams in salt water!
yesterday after helping some other Spyder riders tinker on our bikes.. I left and headed for the countryside for a 45 minute spin.. WOW I thought, My Roadster is really handling well! Smooth and pleasant ride thru the countryside hanging tight in the corners and accelerating down the straights. :yes:

cuznjohn
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM

i am not out today because my feet are hurting from my diabetes so i don't want to put any heat on my right foot because of that

BLACK REV 800 X
10-04-2013, 12:37 PM
After reading all these posts about heat issues on the 13 RT, I decided to use my point and shoot thermometer and do some checking on my RT-S.

Two weeks ago I took a 20 mile ride to get gas, and got home and checked temps. The highest on the TW surface I could find was 101, just in front of the seat. I opened the seat and my gas cap was 110, and the surrounding area was between 102 and 108. I shot down into the gap at the seat latch opening and got 130 in the inner engine compartment.

The next day we were on vacation and headed out for a ride. We rode 110 miles at 55 to 70 mph, and stopped for gas. I took the temps again and got exactly the same as the night before, with the two highest being the gas cap at 110 and the gap into the inner compartment at 130.

We then did some sightseeing and drove back home, putting another 140 miles on, with the last 30 miles riding about 75 mph. As soon as I pulled into the garage I checked temps. Exactly the same as before.

I checked them last Tuesday night after a 50 mile slower ride and got the same thing again.

So it appears with mine I can ride 20 miles or 140 miles , at various speeds, and get the same consistant temps.

Just an FYI if someone else wants to check the actual temperature with a temp guage to see what temps they have. Just saying for instance the "gas cap is too hot" is pretty subjective and without taking the actual temp of the cap it is hard to compare with other units.

For me this RT-S is a lot cooler riding than that last motorcycle I had.

Jackspyder
10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
After reading all these posts about heat issues on the 13 RT, I decided to use my point and shoot thermometer and do some checking on my RT-S.

Two weeks ago I took a 20 mile ride to get gas, and got home and checked temps. The highest on the TW surface I could find was 101, just in front of the seat. I opened the seat and my gas cap was 110, and the surrounding area was between 102 and 108. I shot down into the gap at the seat latch opening and got 130 in the inner engine compartment.

The next day we were on vacation and headed out for a ride. We rode 110 miles at 55 to 70 mph, and stopped for gas. I took the temps again and got exactly the same as the night before, with the two highest being the gas cap at 110 and the gap into the inner compartment at 130.

We then did some sightseeing and drove back home, putting another 140 miles on, with the last 30 miles riding about 75 mph. As soon as I pulled into the garage I checked temps. Exactly the same as before.

I checked them last Tuesday night after a 50 mile slower ride and got the same thing again.

So it appears with mine I can ride 20 miles or 140 miles , at various speeds, and get the same consistant temps.

Just an FYI if someone else wants to check the actual temperature with a temp guage to see what temps they have. Just saying for instance the "gas cap is too hot" is pretty subjective and without taking the actual temp of the cap it is hard to compare with other units.

What was the air temperature when you did this? Maybe some heat problems are more of an issue in areas where air temperatures get warm. ??

Well Hell
10-04-2013, 01:16 PM
So 3 wheel: I am gathering that having the heated grips is not an issue when replacing factory grips with bigger or nicer grips. Is that the case since I was wondering how that might work out.:pray: Thanks for the update on your travels.:ohyea:

ARtraveler
10-04-2013, 02:17 PM
told by two diff dealers that they are all like that and run hot.

this is not acceptable to me.....the 2013'sRT and ST are HOT.....multiple problems.....I just had a tech ...find an exhaust leak and it seems to have helped on the heat some....the gasket was burnt down to the copper.....so was it a faulty gasket? or poor production of gaskets? or the extreme heat from exhaust? I know that I had about 4000 miles on my bike when all the heat started....gas cap too hot to touch, boiling gas, heat rising out of vents near handlebar area, panels extremely hot....bike stalling or surging....and on and on...then at 7500 miles we found the melted master cylinder....BRP has been taking care of me since...I have a case #...and do not want that case closed until all is right....

real concern the it will catch fire! How does a person put that out of their mind while riding? (current status 25 days old 578 miles) that is a hard one....good luck...have your dealer check for exhaust leaks...gaskets

Similar thoughts here. Guess its time to say more and get in trouble with some--again.

Dealers that have adopted the "that's the way they all are" approach are so full of BS that their eyes are brown. I am also thinking that they are just hoping the problem will go away--hence not wanting 2013's in trade, or offering prices so low as to make even the non-financial wizards say Whoa!

There are a few that are happy and have not had problems. But, there are enough ongoing complaints that I really do believe there is an/are issue(s) that need to be found and corrected.

If the problem is not solved, do I smell class action lawsuit in the future? IMO: This is not going to go away until the customers who spent their money are happy.

3 Wheel Addict
10-04-2013, 02:18 PM

My dealer checked my gas cap temp and they stated that the highest they could get was 126 degrees, "just 2 degrees higher than our demo" they told me. The day I drove it home from the service dept. I pulled in the garage and went in the house to get the temp gun came back opened the door "Corbin seat has fuel door" shot the cap and recorded 148.2 degrees. I have been able to reproduce this getting results anywhere from 140 to 150 degrees. And if you remove the cap and feel the metal neck you will let go right now! I think this heat is also my issue with stalling out and stumbling from a dead stop, vapor lock or heat soak issues. Still don't have a clue to where the burning plastic smell is coming from??

Magdave
10-04-2013, 02:19 PM
So 3 wheel: I am gathering that having the heated grips is not an issue when replacing factory grips with bigger or nicer grips. Is that the case since I was wondering how that might work out.:pray: Thanks for the update on your travels.:ohyea:

Hijack start a new thread:yikes:

3 Wheel Addict
10-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Called BRP today and now have a case number. Waiting on them to call me back, i'm sure they are calling the dealer first.

cuznjohn
10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
i used a rectal thermometer and put in in the exhaust opening and it blew up :roflblack::roflblack:

BLACK REV 800 X
10-04-2013, 07:39 PM
What was the air temperature when you did this? Maybe some heat problems are more of an issue in areas where air temperatures get warm. ??
On the 20 mile short ride it was about 55 out. On the longer ride it was mid 70's. Probably won't get much warmer this year.... Only 48 out now.

3 Wheel Addict
10-04-2013, 10:19 PM
I went out for a short ride just around town. Never left the city limits and never got out of 3rd gear, ride length 4.6 miles... this was my gas cap temp upon returning home and pulling in the garage.

BLACK REV 800 X
10-05-2013, 07:55 AM
I went out for a short ride just around town. Never left the city limits and never got out of 3rd gear, ride length 4.6 miles... this was my gas cap temp upon returning home and pulling in the garage.
Wow, this is the kind of data needed for BRP to hopefully take action and help out those with heat issues. I cant get close to that temp no matter what I do.

3 Wheel Addict
10-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Here's more data for ya... first temp taken the day I drove it home from the dealer and they said it was only getting to 126 degrees. Second temp a few days later and I rode to work and checked it there. The third was just checked on a short ride around town as listed above. As you can see I can easily repeat the temp. The temp is taken on the "flat" side of the gas cap not the handle part it is a few degrees cooler. Also checking around the side plastic panel by the brake pedal is getting to around 110 degrees as well as the yellow body panels just in front of the seat.

3 Wheel Addict
10-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Wow, this is the kind of data needed for BRP to hopefully take action and help out those with heat issues. I cant get close to that temp no matter what I do.

SEE! Why is it some and not others?? It just don't make sense as they all come down the same assembly line, don't they??

Pirate looks at --
10-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Here's more data for ya... first temp taken the day I drove it home from the dealer and they said it was only getting to 126 degrees. Second temp a few days later and I rode to work and checked it there. The third was just checked on a short ride around town as listed above. As you can see I can easily repeat the temp. The temp is taken on the "flat" side of the gas cap not the handle part it is a few degrees cooler. Also checking around the side plastic panel by the brake pedal is getting to around 110 degrees as well as the yellow body panels just in front of the seat.

your temp gauge might be wrong? Why not take it and your bike to the dealer

SpyderAnn01
10-05-2013, 01:07 PM

Now that you have a case number you should send these pictures to customer service. Also, if there is anyone else with a 2013 who also has one of these thermometers maybe they could gather data also. The more info we send to BRP the more likely they will be to get to the bottom of the problem.

cuznjohn
10-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Now that you have a case number you should send these pictures to customer service. Also, if there is anyone else with a 2013 who also has one of these thermometers maybe they could gather data also. The more info we send to BRP the more likely they will be to get to the bottom of the problem.

after reading this past i ordered one on amazon, not too expensive and i am wondering what the temp is coming out of the right side vents when the fan goes on.

3 Wheel Addict
10-05-2013, 05:03 PM
after reading this past i ordered one on amazon, not too expensive and i am wondering what the temp is coming out of the right side vents when the fan goes on.

The air coming from there is suppose to be hot and I can deal with that but when you get your temp gun start checking places that shouldn't be hot... like the gas cap! Maybe this is all ok but coming from a service background I can't believe the tank and cap should be getting that hot, it can't be good.

CurtG
10-05-2013, 05:38 PM
The IR point and shoot thermometers likely wont read the air temp at the opening. They depend on the ir output from solid objects for their readings. You will likely get a reading from the surrounding body parts which may or may not be close to the air temp coming out the opening.

Ride and ride safe,

Magdave
10-05-2013, 06:17 PM

Mine read 155 deg at the hole.

3 Wheel Addict
10-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Mine read 155 deg at the hole.
Define hole?? With cap removed? I point my at the flat edge of the cap from about 2 1/2 feet away which will encompass about a 5 inch circle and that will fit the cap and the surrounding plastic. Sounds like your just a tad hotter than mine. I hope a few more chime in with temps from their bikes. Mine goes in next Saturday for the "sticky" shift switch and the oil leak from the pressure switch, oh and the heat issue and burning plastic smell!!

Magdave
10-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Define hole?? With cap removed? I point my at the flat edge of the cap from about 2 1/2 feet away which will encompass about a 5 inch circle and that will fit the cap and the surrounding plastic. Sounds like your just a tad hotter than mine. I hope a few more chime in with temps from their bikes. Mine goes in next Saturday for the "sticky" shift switch and the oil leak from the pressure switch, oh and the heat issue and burning plastic smell!!

Check the whole thread and you can see my temp readings :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?58192-Recall-done-BRP-call-and-extra-insulation/page3