PDA

View Full Version : Garmin power supply

golfsferr
10-03-2013, 04:23 PM
As soon as I come up with a mount for the Garmin on my STS, I'm hoping to power it by the roadster's battery. Are there "how to instructions" out there? :pray:

captblack
10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Go to Amazon and search for a power cable for your model of Garmin. It will have leads from the 12v source through a transformer and then to a plug for the GPS. On my RT, I removed the gauges and use the light power wire for the GPS. My Vulcan has an AUX supply line in the headlight can.

Cable runs less than $20, I believe.

golfsferr
10-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Go to Amazon and search for a power cable for your model of Garmin. It will have leads from the 12v source through a transformer and then to a plug for the GPS. On my RT, I removed the gauges and use the light power wire for the GPS. My Vulcan has an AUX supply line in the headlight can.

Cable runs less than $20, I believe.
Thanks, once I pull the gauges will the head lamp wires be obvious?

quickster47
10-03-2013, 09:31 PM
As soon as I come up with a mount for the Garmin on my STS, I'm hoping to power it by the roadster's battery. Are there "how to instructions" out there? :pray:

What model Garmin are you mounting on your ST-S?

Carl

captblack
10-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks, once I pull the gauges will the head lamp wires be obvious?

No, the Spyder does not use the head lamp wires ... Not sure how the ST dash is set up but on the RT, when you pull the dash panel to unplug the gauges you will find a 3 prong plug. I attached spade plugs to the Garman wire and just plugged into that plug. You will find a ground and 12v power there. The third wire is for the fuel level or temp so you might want a meter to verify or maybe someone can post the wire colors.

La20614
10-04-2013, 06:38 AM
I would also like to power my gps through the gauge panel, just not sure how to do that. Have read that you can disconnect the fuel gauge and bars will show up, I'm all for that and with that being said is it fairly easy to do and are you saying there would be a connect to hook up the gps?

golfsferr
10-04-2013, 07:32 AM
No, the Spyder does not use the head lamp wires ... Not sure how the ST dash is set up but on the RT, when you pull the dash panel to unplug the gauges you will find a 3 prong plug. I attached spade plugs to the Garman wire and just plugged into that plug. You will find a ground and 12v power there. The third wire is for the fuel level or temp so you might want a meter to verify or maybe someone can post the wire colors.
Before I go any further, Does doing any of this void the warranty?

golfsferr
10-04-2013, 07:33 AM
What model Garmin are you mounting on your ST-S?

Carl
Nuvi 760