PDA

View Full Version : RADIO MIX MODE PROBLEM

riceil
10-03-2013, 10:40 AM
2013 BRP Can-am Spyder RT Limited

Radio Mix Mode --- Two days after purchasing the above bike, I took it back to dealer with not being able to set/adjust the mix mode for the radio, ( while on mix mode being able to talk/sing to co-rider and still able to hear music at a lower volume.) because music goes completely out because of wind at speeds of 50 mph and greater and/or speaking in mic (J&M elite). I was told by the dealer that I needed the BRP mic and headset. Well, I purchased the recommended headset and still have the same issue. Since then, my wife and I went to two BRP conventions (Americade and Maggie Valley) and both locations informed us that it should work as I expect it to, mentioned above. I've taken this bike to the dealer three times now with this issue.

FACT: My wife and I sat on a 2013 Can-am Spyder RT at the BRP rally at Maggie Valley this year, same model and color of my bike and the system/radio works as I expect, rider & co-rider are able to talk to each other without the music going completely out.

FACT: Not able to adjust the controls for the sensitivity from what the dealer set to help with the wind cutting the radio off while driving.

FACT: Mix mode does NOT work.

HELP!!! :sour:

boomerkc
10-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm definitely not an authority on any of this, but might suggest you have your mic turned the proper direction. Typically, on my SENA SMH-10, the mic has a mic side and a blocked side. If your's is like this, you may want to check your headset manual and make sure your mics are turned the correct direction so the mic is facing you mouth and not to the front which would pick up the wind, etc.

riceil
10-03-2013, 11:09 AM
I'm definitely not an authority on any of this, but might suggest you have your mic turned the proper direction. Typically, on my SENA SMH-10, the mic has a mic side and a blocked side. If your's is like this, you may want to check your headset manual and make sure your mics are turned the correct direction so the mic is facing you mouth and not to the front which would pick up the wind, etc.

Thanks for the response however, both mic's of both helmets are facing our mouth. Plus we have a mic cover to help block out the wind.

stevedfive
10-03-2013, 01:08 PM
You can adjust the mic sensitivity. I am on a phone so I can't send the pic but it's the far right radio adjustment in the CB main screen. I will PM you my phone number and feel free to call. You did not need to buy the BRP headset, the J&M works just fine.

stevedfive
10-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Adjustments:
Left - CB Squelch
Left Center - CB Volume
Right Center - Intercom Volume
Right - VOX Microphone Sensitivity

NancysToy
10-03-2013, 08:09 PM
The VOX (microphone sensitivity) sounds like it needs to be adjusted. Please be aware that very few, if any, communications systems work well at speed with open helmets. There are even problems with some full-face and modular helmets. There are simply limits to what VOX sensitivity can compensate for...even on a more sophisticated system like the Starcom1...which has the best noise reduction on the market, IMO. Wind noise can quell the audio. Try adjusting the windshileld. Sometimes that will make the air still enough to calm things down.

finless
10-03-2013, 08:57 PM
The VOX (microphone sensitivity) sounds like it needs to be adjusted. Please be aware that very few, if any, communications systems work well at speed with open helmets. There are even problems with some full-face and modular helmets. There are simply limits to what VOX sensitivity can compensate for...even on a more sophisticated system like the Starcom1...which has the best noise reduction on the market, IMO. Wind noise can quell the audio. Try adjusting the windshileld. Sometimes that will make the air still enough to calm things down.

BINGO! Scotty once again said it best.
I cannot get my Sena units to work properly with VOX commands above 50 MPH and this is with full face helmets!
They just cannot seem to differentiate the difference between wind noise and the PUFF you make to start a command.
However with the windshield fully up on my RTS (which I do not like) it gets a lot better but it is still not perfect!

Scotty, once again you pointed out the truth buddy!
The VOX system is not perfect so don't expect it to be.

FYI this is NOT BRP's problem! All this is Sena equipment and if your using something else like scala, etc..... it's their problem. Taking it to the dealer is a waste of time! The console only extends the settings to the display... it has NO REAL control over the units itself and quality of VOX. Those same settings you see on the console can be done with the units themselves on any bike! Make sense?

Bob

vpetty
11-18-2013, 10:46 PM
Did this photo come from a user manual, if so could you please give me the name and where I could obtain one. Thank you

Adjustments:
Left - CB Squelch
Left Center - CB Volume
Right Center - Intercom Volume
Right - VOX Microphone Sensitivity

stevedfive
11-18-2013, 11:22 PM
The left photo came from the 2010 RT operators manual, page 33. The right photo came from the BRP CB installation guide. PM your email and I would be happy to email whatever you need.