PDA

View Full Version : TRBLE with oil change

gottago
10-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Was doing my year end oil change and winter prep today. Well things didn't quite go as planned. Got the oil drained ok no problem. got upper (short) filter out, was doing one at a time so as not to mix up different size bolts. While putting bolts back in with new filter 1st one (upper) went in fine, 2nd one (lower) was turning kind of easy so I kept turning till it tightened up a little, set my torque wrench at 50 inch lbs ( was gonna do it in stages- 50, 70, 97inch lbs) sounds good right? Well got 1st one to set and darned if the bolt on the 2nd one( lower) broke off. On my way to the dealer to have him (maybe) easy out the broken piece and finish the oil change. Question- Has anyone had this happen to them while tightening up the bolt for filter cover, 50 In lbs doesn't seem like it should snap a bolt off... just wondering any advice is of course greatly appreciated.:banghead:

Chupaca
10-01-2013, 05:45 PM
if you don't tighten the bolts in sequence little at a time one then the other the cap can get a bit off and stress the bolt and they will break. The bolt also may have been over tightened before and weakened. Have seen this posted before. Don't know the torque on those bolts my torque wrench is in my hand...hope they get you out quickly...:thumbup:

Olddood
10-01-2013, 05:49 PM
11 nm on the filter caps and 20 nm on the drain plug

boborgera
10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
if you don't tighten the bolts in sequence little at a time one then the other the cap can get a bit off and stress the bolt and they will break. The bolt also may have been over tightened before and weakened. Have seen this posted before. Don't know the torque on those bolts my torque wrench is in my hand...hope they get you out quickly...:thumbup:

:agree: Torque wrench's can get people in trouble, Especially with small bolts...
The only time i used one on my Spyder was the main shaft nut and rear axle nut...

NancysToy
10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I see a few possible reasons why you had trouble. First, the cover screws should be snugged up evenly and alternately. If one is completely tightened before the other is snug, the cover can cock and cause a screw to break...or the threads to pull out. Second, the screw could have been damaged, and just decided to break the rest of the way when tightened. Third would be a faulty torque wrench. With adjustable torque wrenches they must be backed off to take the tension off the spring before being stored. You should do this every time you use them. If not the spring can take a set and read erroneously. I once snapped a 9/16" chrome moly head stud because the torque wrench had taken a set. These torque wrenches should be calibrated or checked periodically to see that they are reading right.

rcturner
10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
97 is the spec but, in my opinion, it is way to tight. When I did mine I stopped at 75 in lbs and that still seemed excessive. 20 also seemed excessive for the drain plugs. Tighten them until they are good and snug and quit. That is all they need.

gottago
10-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I see a few possible reasons why you had trouble. First, the cover screws should be snugged up evenly and alternately. If one is completely tightened before the other is snug, the cover can cock and cause a screw to break...or the threads to pull out. Second, the screw could have been damaged, and just decided to break the rest of the way when tightened. Third would be a faulty torque wrench. With adjustable torque wrenches they must be backed off to take the tension off the spring before being stored. You should do this every time you use them. If not the spring can take a set and read erroneously. I once snapped a 9/16" chrome moly head stud because the torque wrench had taken a set. These torque wrenches should be calibrated or checked periodically to see that they are reading right.
Thanks for your input it is appreciated. however when I placed lid I hand tightened bolts alternately until just snug then I tightened the upper one to 25 inch lbs then lower then readjusted the wrench to 50 inch lbs the upper one was fine the lower on did the job on me. I talked with service mngr at dealer and was told they will take good care of it tomorrow. He mentioned that several have come in with the same problem. 250 mile trip tomorrow and all will be fine thanks for all your help..Always unwind my torque wrench just for the reason you mentioned. we'll see what they can do tomorrow.

NancysToy
10-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for your input it is appreciated. however when I placed lid I hand tightened bolts alternately until just snug then I tightened the upper one to 25 inch lbs then lower then readjusted the wrench to 50 inch lbs the upper one was fine the lower on did the job on me. I talked with service mngr at dealer and was told they will take good care of it tomorrow. He mentioned that several have come in with the same problem. 250 mile trip tomorrow and all will be fine thanks for all your help..Always unwind my torque wrench just for the reason you mentioned. we'll see what they can do tomorrow.
Sounds like a faulty screw. With mild steel you can usually tell from the rust on the crack, but it is about impossible to tell with stainless. Could be a heat treating problem or overtightening at the factory. Sounds like your dealer is taking good care of you. Glad to hear you treat your torque wrench properly, too. I check mine against a beam wrench a couple of times a year for good measure. Lots of people don't know how to properly care for a torque wrench.

BajaRon
10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
I do not like using a torque wrench on small nuts/bolts. Using a shorty ratchet with mild pressure works well for me. You can feel the tension much better than with a torque wrench. The oil filter covers do not need to be very tight. The O-Ring does all the work.

jwulf74
10-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Embarrassing, but I once grabbed the wrong wrench and set for foot lbs instead of inch lbs...that'll snap the bolt off in a hurry.