PDA

View Full Version : Back on the Spyder after surgery...

Spyder Tony
10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Had surgery to remove my Gall Bladder this past Friday. After not riding my Spyder for 3 days, I couldn't take it any longer, so against my girlfriend's wishes, I snuck out of the house last night for an hour long ride:trike:. I meant to go around the block once, but the feeling of the night breeze against my face was too much, so I stayed out longer than I meant to. Another thing I learned is just how many core (stomach) muscles it takes to steer a Spyder. The upright seating position of the ST was much appreciated as well, as I still cannot bend over or kneel down. All-in-all I have to say that it was worth a little blood at the surgical site to be back on my Spyder. Clearly, the hardest part were the mount/dismount of the bike...BUT "that which does not kill me, only makes me stronger".

Still going to be a couple more weeks until I can resume my normal activities (playing with my son, Spyder ryding, Tae Kwon Do), but my jobchoice is a good one as I CAN read/write lines of code in a recumbent position (Much to the joy of my employer).
Good news is that I should be fully recovered by the time my (new to me) GS will be delivered late October. Currently, the license plate is "Y Factor"...but it's not available in California, so i had to settle on another custom license plate (New plate is a secret so nobody steals it before I can order the plate). I missed Street Vibrations in Reno because of the surgery...but look for me next year as I plan to attend all the Northern California events I can handle. Also plan to enter my new GS in some bike shows...the custom paint job is way too nice not to be on display.

Take care all, and Happy Ryding!!!
Spyder Tony

quickster47
10-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Nothing like some good wind therapy to cure the cabin fever blues, remove those doldrums and cobwebs from your head and body.

Carl

Bob Denman
10-01-2013, 12:22 PM
:agree: But still... :lecturef_smilie: Listen to your Girfriend and your Doctor; don't overdue it! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
10-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Tony,

sorry to to hear about the surgery, hope you heal up quick. Hope to see you on the road soon. And I wanna see that new Ryde

Spyder Tony
10-01-2013, 12:27 PM
:agree: But still... :lecturef_smilie: Listen to your Girfriend and your Doctor; don't overdue it! :thumbup:

Will do, Bob...but I swear they are in cahoots together. Seems like once my girlfriend knows something...my doctor knows within 24 hours.He even addresses HER when talking about what I should & shouldn't be doing. I even told the doc "She's not the boss of me", but it didn't come out in a convincing, authoritative voice so I think he knew the real truth behind my statement <wink>.

Bob Denman
10-01-2013, 12:37 PM
She IS the boss... and you wouldn't want it any other way! :thumbup:
Continue to heal quickly!

flamingobabe
10-01-2013, 12:49 PM
sorry about the surgery..but understand the need to ride.....take it easy

ScarMace
10-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I am the boss of my family. and my wife gave me permision to say (type) that.

get better and good luck

Bob Denman
10-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I am the boss of my family. and my wife gave me permision to say (type) that.

get better and good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6sHzn7LzQ

Spyder Tony
10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
video=youtube;Zs6sHzn7LzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs6sHzn7LzQ[/video]

It's been years since i've heard the Man Song. Thanks form the memories!!!

Bob Denman
10-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I've got to admit :shocked:; it can be scary thinking about all of the useless stuff I've got rolling around in my head... :yikes:
But then; a piece of it is useful, and I feel better! ;)

ARtraveler
10-01-2013, 03:14 PM
Get well soon. :thumbup:

sealfloorboards
10-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Hang in there. I just got on my Spyder a few days ago a month after knee replacement. Mounting and dismounting are certainly the hardest things to do. Like everyone tells me, "Don't push it", but also, you know your own body better than anyone else. Just use caution.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

Chupaca
10-01-2013, 05:51 PM
that your home and re-cooperating. Don't rush thing but I know ryding your spyder is not stressful. Little at a time and you will be back to doing it all...take care..!! :thumbup:

OJ UK
10-01-2013, 05:58 PM
The doc. and your girlfriend are probably right! Just take it a bit easy and
you'll be healed maybe a little quicker.
I shan't be riding my Spyder for a couple of weeks after Saturday as I'm have a
rapidly progressing cataract removed from my right eye and getting the lens replaced
as well.....it'll be tough! :sour:

JJW SpyderRider
10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I even told the doc "She's not the boss of me", but it didn't come out in a convincing, authoritative voice so I think he knew the real truth behind my statement <wink>.

He wasn't convinced when you turn to your girl friend and ask if that was OK to say.

Get well soon and don't over do it. I had my gallbladder taken out right after Spyderfest 2, it was attached to my kidneys which were coming out. 10 days in the hospital then two days latter I'm back on the GS I had. Felt great :yes::yes::yes: but does wear you out quickly. 64 staples but no bleeding :thumbup: after.

Take care!

Bob Denman
10-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I shan't be riding my Spyder for a couple of weeks after Saturday as I'm have a
rapidly progressing cataract removed from my right eye and getting the lens replaced
as well.....it'll be tough! :sour:

:lecturef_smilie: Be REAL careful about letting your eye recover fully before throwing a leg back over your Spyder...
The wind, sudden movements, vibration, and airborne particles can wreck a recently repaired eye! nojoke