PDA

View Full Version : Cornin vs Ultimate Seat... which one and why?

scottnkansas
09-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Its time for a better seat with a back rest. We are doing longer rides and I am tired of my back and butt being sore. Looking for a little guidance from people who know!

Scott

scottnkansas
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Corbin Seats

Scott

RodMyers
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
The ultimate seat. Bought one for my Honda valkyrie. Loved it. As soon as I bought the spyder, bought a other one.

You're tastes are different than what everyone else.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JkRbbt
09-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Had a Corbin on my BMW and have an Ultimate on the Spyder. The Corbin seemed more firm, but I am very satisfied with the Ultimate. My vote would be Ultimate, but only YOUR buns will know for sure. Good luck!

GMac
09-30-2013, 03:54 PM
...but I think that ultimately (no pun intended there) you'll have to sit on each one and decide for yourself.

I bought mine (an Ultimate) back in June after sitting on a Corbin and not finding it that comfortable (for me). I'm very certain that others would try the exact same seat and make the opposite decision. I'm not in any way commenting on the build, quality, etc. of either of them - I think they are both excellent from what I've seen and read.

Find someone that has each one and try it and let your butt tell you which is better for you - that's really the only way you'll ever know for certain.

(And for the record, I'm very happy with the Ultimate that I have but again, that's not a sign that it's a "better" seat, only that it was better for me specifically - and it's beautiful which helps ;) ).

Bob Denman
09-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Blondes, versus Brunettes, versus Redheads... :shocked:
The answer is still, "YES!!:thumbup:
You've just got to decide which one works best for you; happy hunting! :2thumbs:

Chupaca
09-30-2013, 04:34 PM
I have said it before, we need a saddle shop. All seats for us to try out. No takers... Most of us can only rate stock and the one we bought. Not being cheap we can't buy several to try. I can say the comfort seat is very nice on our RS. We ryde double up and it works well. If you can find a group you may find some models to try. Good luck and happy hunting...!! :thumbup:

Dizneyman
09-30-2013, 04:44 PM
You must break them in.. Took between 500 and 1000 miles, and now we can ride all day, no issues. You can not just sit on it and say its "hard". As we live in Florida, we were able to visit both places and try them out. Corbin fitted one on our Spyder and let us ride all day. Even though it was not broken in, it felt so much better than the stock seat after riding for about 3 hours.
Good luck !!

Bob Denman
09-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Did you ride over to Ultimate with the Corbin in place, and have them swap them around?

bbodah
09-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I chose Corbin with the heater. Not sorry that I did . It fits me very well. I have had it since March 2013 and have about 1200 miles on it. I believe its broken in. Lol;)

dancote
09-30-2013, 05:13 PM
We're fortunate to have a custom seat builder in Seattle. http://www.richscustomseats.com/

If you truly want/need a seat to fit you to a T, you can't do better. Seriously. Ride in. Sit on the bike in your riding posture. Measurements are taken. The seat is made for you. You should keep your old seat in the event you want to trade your Spyder or sell it on because the custom seat will probably not work for the buyer unless he/she matches your dimensions.

I've only had one of Rich's saddles so far but it was the best motorcycle seat I've had in 50+ years of riding.

I'm going to give my new RT's saddle a few thousand miles to see if it works for me. If not, Rich will see me again.

For the Corbin questioners out there: I've had 2 of them before. They need "break-in" time but they're worth every penny you'll spend on them. Buy them at a motorcycle show and get a deep discount and you won't be disappointed.

I've only ever had 2 things made for me. 1 was a suit and the other was a saddle. If you're not a member of the 1%, you'll probably never experience it either.

The suit went out of style rather quickly. The saddle was extremely comfortable for the whole time I owned it.

Regards,

Dan

PW2013STL
09-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I had Rich Mayer build me a saddle years ago and it was very comfortable, but not as comfortable as the Russell day long. The Russell is a design that Rich's dad created and sold to Russell. To me it is still the best.

Dizneyman
09-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Did you ride over to Ultimate with the Corbin in place, and have them swap them around?

Well that could have been interesting... :yikes:

scottnkansas
09-30-2013, 09:22 PM
...but I think that ultimately (no pun intended there) you'll have to sit on each one and decide for yourself.

I bought mine (an Ultimate) back in June after sitting on a Corbin and not finding it that comfortable (for me). I'm very certain that others would try the exact same seat and make the opposite decision. I'm not in any way commenting on the build, quality, etc. of either of them - I think they are both excellent from what I've seen and read.

Find someone that has each one and try it and let your butt tell you which is better for you - that's really the only way you'll ever know for certain.

(And for the record, I'm very happy with the Ultimate that I have but again, that's not a sign that it's a "better" seat, only that it was better for me specifically - and it's beautiful which helps ;) ).

This sounds like a great idea. Now I just have to find riders with those seats who will let me sit on them. I haven't found any riders in my area yet. I need to attend some events!

Scott

scottnkansas
09-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Lots of great comments! Thanks. The Corbin is more expensive and there is a break in period but it seems to be getting more votes. Hopefully I can find a few riders who will let me test there's out. Is it really a huge difference over stock? My spyder is fully stock. And no one commented but does the back rest make a big difference?

Scott

quickster47
10-01-2013, 09:10 AM
I have an Ultimate on my RT Limited and both wife and me agree that it is tops for long distance.

We have a Corbin for our ST-S and it too seems to be great for weekend excursions when we are in a sport touring kind of mood.

It's really about personal choices. Some days you feel like a nut, some days you don't.

Carl

Bob Ledford
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
You ask for the impossible! You will never get a right answer as there isn't one. Every one of us is structurally different in the way we are constructed.

You have got to sit on the saddle for several minutes to hours before you can make the call. Corbin's Ormond store has a two hour test ride on your bike test ride provision and so does the Ultimate store. I find the Ultimate to be a little it more cramped then the Corbin.

murphybrown
10-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I rode into Hollister, CA and Corbin "built" my new saddle...they told me give it at least 1000 miles before judging (had stock seat and no real complaints other than lack of gas door)...by the time I got to San Fran I was liking the Corbin ALOT...and at the first gas fill when I didn't have to unpack the passenger seat there was nothing but :yes::yes: on my part. At Spyderfest 2014 I will try whatever seat vendors are there....getting ready for that 2015 purchase. But anything other than Corbin is going to have to be reallllllly friendly with my buns to get me to switch..:clap:
Like other posts have said...you have to "feel" it and love it....what works for one does not work for another.
And I am so :yes::yes: because right now I have a Spyderfest vendor making a rain cover for my Corbin, with backrest...that was the one thing that was missing I reallllly wanted...so excited to get as I don't stop ryding for rain....if any body who owns a Corbin is interested after I get my new seat rain cover I can give you my opinion, etc.
Sun is out...today is a ryde day....snow on surrounding hills so days to ryde are getting less :(

can-am sam
10-01-2013, 11:39 AM
My Corbin seat with the Lamonster cut did not require any "break-in". It has been comfortable from the first ride. The gas door is a big plus, no lifting the seat for fueling.

ARtraveler
10-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Like many have said--there is no right answer on this one. Seats are a matter of what the rider likes best in comparison to the OEM seat.

I have had two Corbins on :spyder2:'s--over 60,000 miles. The seat is still hard feeling--but that is an argument in favor of "support" I guess. I do like the built in gas door--but can live without if I had to.

Also had two BRP Comfort seats on the other two :ani29:'s. Lately, I am prefering the :spyder2: with the Comfort seat.

Have not had any experience with other brands. Pretty hard to go and test sit other brands since I am pretty far away from groups of :ani29:'s or shops that sell seats.

Just my .01 :thumbup:

gnirtsnod
10-02-2013, 08:05 PM
I have said it before, we need a saddle shop. All seats for us to try out. No takers... Most of us can only rate stock and the one we bought. Not being cheap we can't buy several to try. I can say the comfort seat is very nice on our RS. We ryde double up and it works well. If you can find a group you may find some models to try. Good luck and happy hunting...!! :thumbup:

Can't speak for the Ultimate, but after riding down to Florida and trying out the Corbin, I noticed so much difference over the stock seat (2012 RT-S) that I whipped out the Visa and bought the Corbin (heated, rider backrest, passenger pad, and armrests). I'm very satisfied - may have been equally or more satisfied with the Ultimate - but I will bet the difference between the two contenders is far less than the difference when comparing either to stock.

Bottom line - you deserve a better seat than stock and will enjoy your rides so much more when you get it.

...Don

P.S. The Corbin starts out stiff but conforms to your bottom's shape over time.

Barbwire
10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I have been a Corbin fan for years but I have lower back problems and I found the Ultimate to give much better lower back support. I sold my Corbin just a few months ago after going to the Ultimate. I purchased the Corbin for my RT because Ultimate did not have a fuel door at the time. They will let you try a seat out at a rally usually. Great folks to deal with.

PW2013STL
10-04-2013, 10:59 AM
One thing to be aware of with Corbin. Once you buy it you own it. They will not take it back. They will modify it - just not refund your mony if you do not like it.
I have had three corbins in the past and with one I had to have it reshaped due to a too small pasenger seat area. This mod removed the drivers backrest mount. I had also purchased the backrest, but had not removed it from the package it came in. I told them that my wife need more room than the 5" that they provided and I can live without the backrest. I asked about returning the unopened backrest and they told me that their policy is no refunds. I said I can understand that for their custom saddles, but the backrest is an off the shelf item that fits any of their saddles. The answer was "doesn't matter no refunds -have your wife use it". I said she has a backrest built into the top box. "Sorry sir no refunds":banghead:

Dragonrider
10-04-2013, 12:08 PM
At one time or another, I've had every brand of seat on one of my bikes. I always return to the Corbin. I have the Corbin, with the Lamonster cut, on my Spyder, and would consider nothing else. NOTE: I am a BIG & TALL guy - 6'4" and 295#.

scottnkansas
10-05-2013, 08:16 PM
One thing to be aware of with Corbin. Once you buy it you own it. They will not take it back. They will modify it - just not refund your mony if you do not like it.
I have had three corbins in the past and with one I had to have it reshaped due to a too small pasenger seat area. This mod removed the drivers backrest mount. I had also purchased the backrest, but had not removed it from the package it came in. I told them that my wife need more room than the 5" that they provided and I can live without the backrest. I asked about returning the unopened backrest and they told me that their policy is no refunds. I said I can understand that for their custom saddles, but the backrest is an off the shelf item that fits any of their saddles. The answer was "doesn't matter no refunds -have your wife use it". I said she has a backrest built into the top box. "Sorry sir no refunds":banghead:

That's to bad about that. That is not the customer service I'd want.

Scott

bobnaquin
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Ultimate. It works really well and then you don't have to deal with Corbin which is a plus in my humble opinion.

ElZorroRides
10-06-2013, 02:49 PM
FYI, The Ultimate seat has a 10 trial period where you can use and return for a refund. The exception is if you have the seat made with custom colors/fabrics. No refund on those.

I've had Ultimate Seats on my Harley and both of our RT's. We like them allot. Never owned a Corbin cause the ones I've tried felt too hard. Course the break in time was not met but I didn't want to have to take the time and expense to buy then break one in only to find I wouldn't like it and be stuck. Ultimate Seats don't require a break in period.

spydaman60
10-06-2013, 02:59 PM
ultimate cause my butt said so!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Yfactor
10-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Blondes, versus Brunettes, versus Redheads... :shocked:
The answer is still, "YES!!:thumbup:
You've just got to decide which one works best for you; happy hunting! :2thumbs:

:agree:

Motorcycledave
10-06-2013, 03:10 PM
All of the big companies that mass produce seats make a good product
all are better than stock in every way, however... if you truly want a seat that fits
you it is like a nice pair of shoes you have to try them on, maybe have them stretched
here and there until they fit just right. It is the same with your seat a custom seat builder
customizer can take your seat and make it fit YOU and only you, one size does not fit all.
I have been custom building seats one at a time to order since 1980. There are no two the same, people are not the same. Check here on this forum for people that have had a seat made
for them using their seat pan, they will tell you who makes the best seats.
Ride Safe
Dave

Ultimate Seats
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
FYI, The Ultimate seat has a 10 trial period where you can use and return for a refund. The exception is if you have the seat made with custom colors/fabrics. No refund on those.

We offer a 14 days trial period on all Spyder Seats. We have a full range of "custom" seats (different inlays, stitch and embroidery options) that are still eligible for the 14 day trial.

Get in touch with us for any questions-

Best-

scottnkansas
10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
We offer a 14 days trial period on all Spyder Seats. We have a full range of "custom" seats (different inlays, stitch and embroidery options) that are still eligible for the 14 day trial.

Get in touch with us for any questions-

Best-
Thanks a lot! Is your 14 day period from the time it's mailed or received? Is there a waiting period or do you have some in stock?

Scott

Ultimate Seats
10-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Thanks a lot! Is your 14 day period from the time it's mailed or received? Is there a waiting period or do you have some in stock?

Scott

Scott-
The trial period starts from the delivery date. Depending on what specific configuration you are looking for (Midrider, Tallboy, Fuel Door, Inlay Color, etc...), we may have it in stock. We try to keep a range of the popular packages in stock.

Best-

Copperman
10-08-2013, 09:41 AM
I haven't bought a new seat...yet. I've looked at the Ultimate and was leaning that way but then I called Corbin. I told them I wasn't crazy about the spiderweb stitching and the customer service rep told me they make the seat with their standard stitching (no additional charge). Very nice!

Because I like their armrests better, I may look a little closer at Corbin.

gkerrs
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
I have a firm corbin seat with backrest put over 30K miles since seat was new. I feel the seat reduces the feel/amount of the body roll as the seat is firm and one moves with the machine, rather than with a soft seat your butt goes one way and the spyder goes the other. just my thoughts