PDA

View Full Version : Replace completely discharged battery?

daveinva
09-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Okay, this here dummy did something stupid yesterday-- I left the key in the Spyder, switched on, overnight. Dunno how I missed that, but whatever, damage is done. :banghead:

This morning, I woke up to remember I had left the key in the bike. Didn't think I had left the bike on, but oh well.

Anyway, Spyder is completely dead, no power at all. I hooked it back up on my battery charger, I'll leave it there all day, but my question is, does this pretty much nuke the battery for the long haul? It's still the original battery, 2010 RS, never had any issues with holding a charge before but now I'm thinking I'll spring a hundred bucks for the piece of mind. Just wondering how soon I should consider doing that... ?

Barlock
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM
... on my previous bike I had my battery completely discharged :yikes:, and I thought that was the end of it, but then (just for the fun of it) I recharged it again (not less than 12 hours) and to my surprise I was able to not only start my bike but also continue using it (and a battery) for a few months after that. I don't know how long it would have lasted, but eventually I have replaced my bike with a :spyder:. So, there you have it - try recharging it and see what happens.

boborgera
09-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Okay, this here dummy did something stupid yesterday-- I left the key in the Spyder, switched on, overnight. Dunno how I missed that, but whatever, damage is done. :banghead:

This morning, I woke up to remember I had left the key in the bike. Didn't think I had left the bike on, but oh well.

Anyway, Spyder is completely dead, no power at all. I hooked it back up on my battery charger, I'll leave it there all day, but my question is, does this pretty much nuke the battery for the long haul? It's still the original battery, 2010 RS, never had any issues with holding a charge before but now I'm thinking I'll spring a hundred bucks for the piece of mind. Just wondering how soon I should consider doing that...

If your using a battery charger[not a tender] only leave it on for a few hours, Then finish the chargeing with a Tender... You then you should be OK... For now....

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-30-2013, 10:24 AM
NOT ALWAYS...sent you a PM ...Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-30-2013, 10:42 AM
Plan on changing it; but here's to hoping for the best! :thumbup: :cheers:

BajaRon
09-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Give it a shot but don't get your hopes up.

MrLooney
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I parked my Roadster in a garage turned off the key and walked away, there it sat for 8 months. When I returned I turned on the key and all the lights came on but only a chatter from the starter. I bought a 10 amp charger from Sears and let it sit over night. Nest day I touched the starter button and VVVRRRROOOOMMMMMMM He roared into life. That was a month ago and over 2,000 miles and not a lick of a problem. :yes: :yes:

bscrive
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM
I did something similar a few years ago and that battery was not even 2 years old. I recharged the battery and my wife and I took off for a week long vacation on the bike. The battery crapped out on us 5 days later in Nashville Tn. Thankfully there was a dealer close by. Get yourself a new one, that one won't last much longer.

r1100rider
09-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Anyway, Spyder is completely dead, no power at all. I hooked it back up on my battery charger, I'll leave it there all day, but my question is, does this pretty much nuke the battery for the long haul? It's still the original battery, 2010 RS, never had any issues with holding a charge before but now I'm thinking I'll spring a hundred bucks for the piece of mind. Just wondering how soon I should consider doing that... ?
If it sat for weeks in freezing weather dead it would be ruined but what you did it will be fine after recharge

n1njazx7
09-30-2013, 01:39 PM
I think I'd pay $100 for the piece of mind, tow bill would be almost that anyway. :banghead:

MrLooney
09-30-2013, 02:00 PM
I think I'd pay $100 for the piece of mind, tow bill would be almost that anyway. :banghead:

This is why you have Towing and lodging on your Insurance policy (read the fine print). :yes:

daveinva
09-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks all for the thoughts.

Yeah, I think I'll pick up a new battery just to be on the safe side, especially with winter coming up. Grrrrrrrr... stupidity sure costs $$$, don't it? :mad:

boborgera
09-30-2013, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I think I'll pick up a new battery just to be on the safe side, especially with winter coming up. Grrrrrrrr... stupidity sure costs $$$, don't it? :mad:

Think of it this way, How old is the battery,3 years?
It probably was due anyway......[fox and the grapes]:coffee:

NancysToy
09-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Repeated complete discharge will kill anything but a deep cycle battery, for sure. One dischrage is pretty much a crap shoot. Some survive it with no problem, some survive but their life is reduced, and some never are right again. A batteyr maintainer (smart charger) will not charge a fully discharged battery. You need to either jump start then run it long enough for the magneto to bring up the voltage, or charge with a convention charger (preferably rated at 2.25 amps or less) until the voltage is sufficient to activate the maintainer (Battery Tender, etc.), then switch. A pulse charger like the Genius or Xtreme may do a better job on a damaged battery, by negating some of the sulfation. It doesn't hurt anything to try to bring it back to life. We'll keep our finger crossed for you.

rock
09-30-2013, 07:09 PM
we put ground effects lighting on our bike in 2010,they had wireless remotes included...in the spring after it set all winter the battery was completely dead...i put a tender on it for about 48 hours...hit the key and it fired right up.. how ever i learned that the wireless remotes communicate with the transponder even when bike is not running effectively draining the battery...it lasted till this spring ...i am guessing that we were very lucky it lasted this long...this winter i will unplug the transponder and that should cure this problem , however i will put a tender on it all winter...since we now ride it on many days in the winter i will keep an eye on this issue...if you have remote controlled lights dont let this happen to you..

daveinva
10-01-2013, 06:19 AM
A batteyr maintainer (smart charger) will not charge a fully discharged battery.

Well Scotty, either that isn't always true, or the battery-- despite the Spyder being completely blank-dead-- wasn't technically fully discharged, because the Spyder started up this morning after a full day on the charger. Although, interestingly, the charging light on my tender never went fully green.

So, just enough charge to run to the shop and pick up another battery. :(

Bob Denman
10-01-2013, 07:01 AM
:2thumbs: Glad to hear that there was still some fight left in it! :thumbup:

Spyder4Tess
10-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Did you check the voltage on the new one?
Sometimes even "new" batteries new a pre-charge.

boborgera
10-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Did you check the voltage on the new one?
Sometimes even "new" batteries new a pre-charge.

:agree: And thats most of the time, If you Put in a new battery thats not fully [100%] charge, It will never recharge more than 80%.....

NancysToy
10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Well Scotty, either that isn't always true, or the battery-- despite the Spyder being completely blank-dead-- wasn't technically fully discharged, because the Spyder started up this morning after a full day on the charger. Although, interestingly, the charging light on my tender never went fully green.

A battery that is discharged enough to not even crank the engine or sometimes even enough to light the display, may have enoug voltage to allow the charger to initiate, depending on the charger. The lack of a fully gree light means the battery is not taking a full charge anymore. A new one is on the horizon, so this was a pretty good omen. Better to find out now than in the midst of winter...or in a big hurry to go somewhere.

OJ UK
10-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Actually it may have done the battery some good! Leaving the ignition switched on doesn't drain the battery very quickly
and if you've used a modern 'smart' charger to charge it back up then the battery should not have suffered
any ill-effects. I have a battery here which is the spare for my BMW motorcycle and that's been on the 'smart' charger
continuously for over a year......I tested it a few weeks back and it spun the Boxer engine over very well!
So I doubt very much that your battery will have been damaged. HTH

SNOOPY
10-01-2013, 07:29 PM

Think of it this way, How old is the battery,3 years?
It probably was due anyway......[fox and the grapes]:coffee:

I see two reasons to replace, winter coming (cold is a battery killer) and being three years plus old. I think the most I'm gotten out of these type small batteries has been about 4 years, perhaps others who regularly tender them have gotten more?

Probably a good thing you replaced...less future headache...and some peace of mind. :thumbup:

exwinger
10-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Depending on the type of battery you bought , it should be on a charger for about 8 hours before installing .If it's the fiberglass pad type it should be filled and then allowed to sit for about 1 1/2 hours before charging for 12 hours. My battery dealer didn't do that and after charging and testing , the life of the battery was only 50%. Properly prepared a new battery and life was 100%.