PDA

View Full Version : 12V Accessory Plug - Wiring

nhoj
09-30-2013, 07:51 AM
The optional 12V plug in the frunk on an ST is specified in the owners manual a suitable for up to 3 Amps. Yet it is fused at 10 Amps. Is the wiring and relay for this plug suitable for 10 Amps ?

I would like to use this existing wirng for more than 3 Amps, but up to 7-8 Amps max.

Thanks

billybovine
09-30-2013, 10:00 AM
The optional 12V plug in the frunk on an ST is specified in the owners manual a suitable for up to 3 Amps. Yet it is fused at 10 Amps. Is the wiring and relay for this plug suitable for 10 Amps ?

I would like to use this existing wirng for more than 3 Amps, but up to 7-8 Amps max.

Thanks

10 Amp fuse and 16 gauge wire that should be fine for a continuous 7-8 amp load. It appears the owners manual is wrong. It looks like they copied from previous manuals and don't match the changes for 2013's. The 3 amp limit is for 2012 and earlier.

NancysToy
09-30-2013, 05:54 PM
10 Amp fuse and 16 gauge wire that should be fine for a continuous 7-8 amp load. It appears the owners manual is wrong. It looks like they copied from previous manuals and don't match the changes for 2013's. The 3 amp limit is for 2012 and earlier.
:agree:

nhoj
10-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks, now I just have to find the connector :)

Barlock
10-01-2013, 08:43 AM
When you get it done, could you do me a favor and share with me how you wired it? Pictures would be nice, if it's not too much to ask. I want to do the same.

nhoj
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM
When you get it done, could you do me a favor and share with me how you wired it? Pictures would be nice, if it's not too much to ask. I want to do the same.

I will and with pictures. Won't be till later in the Fall though. I want to power a Cig Lighter style or Powerlet socket mounted in a speaker grill and have it run from that circuit. Then it can be switched or always on depending on the placement of the fuse.

I don't need a 12V plug in the frunk as the dealer installed a heavy duty fused SAE connecter there.

John

billrob71
10-01-2013, 09:29 PM
When you get the power outlet hooked up, on my RSS it will only work with the bike running not like prior models with the different fuse position. Not sure if the ST's are the same but just in case you hook it up and it doesnt work, make sure you test it with the bike running. Thats is new for 2013.

Barlock
10-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I will and with pictures. Won't be till later in the Fall though. I want to power a Cig Lighter style or Powerlet socket mounted in a speaker grill and have it run from that circuit. Then it can be switched or always on depending on the placement of the fuse.

I don't need a 12V plug in the frunk as the dealer installed a heavy duty fused SAE connecter there.

John

John, you are THE BEST!

:firstplace::bowdown::thumbup: