PDA

View Full Version : Going for my first LONG ride and looking for any advice you may have...

GMac
09-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I've been on plenty of trips up to about three hours each way but I'm getting ready to take the bike down to Georgia to visit my folks.

It's close to 1000 miles each way and since it's my first really long ride, I thought I'd ask the experts here and see if anyone has any particular advice/tips/etc. for me.

Thanks in advance for anything you're able to help with!!

Thanks,
Gary

Blue Star
09-29-2013, 09:42 PM
I've been on plenty of trips up to about three hours each way but I'm getting ready to take the bike down to Georgia to visit my folks.

It's close to 1000 miles each way and since it's my first really long ride, I thought I'd ask the experts here and see if anyone has any particular advice/tips/etc. for me.

Thanks in advance for anything you're able to help with!!

Thanks,
Gary

Drink a bottle of water (20 oz) at every fuel stop, stretch at bit, don't skimp on meals; especially breakfast, and have fun. The most important is 1000 miles for your first really long ride is a lot, so if you get too tired stop for the night. I find 600 mile is right for me for a day. After that I am too tired to enjoy the trip, and don't feel good when I get to my destination.

Chupaca
09-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Your total distance a day will be determined by you. I recommend stops, at least when needing gas where you take a walk around stretch and hydrate. Don't know your ryde or range but about 120 miles though we stop in between. Double up we can do 400 miles solo 600 - 800 depending on conditions. Don't over do it stop when your tired. Eat light heavy meals make you sleepy. Others will give you more to go on..good luck and enjoy the ryde and the visit...!! :ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
09-29-2013, 09:50 PM
There was a thread about what to pack, etc for a long trip but I can't find it. Drink plenty of water take lots of breaks to walk around. We use a Camelbak for water. I like to have hard candy to munch on while riding.

Have a great trip and I hope you have good weather