PDA

View Full Version : 12 V power outlet

spickus
07-07-2008, 01:46 PM
I'd like to add a 12V outlet to my Spyder. My question is, where do I hook up? Do I have to go to the back of the fuse block or are there wires terminated somewhere that are connected to the two empty fuse slots? If I have to go directly to the fuse block, how do the wires connect to the block? What do I need to disassemble?

Lamonster
07-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd like to add a 12V outlet to my Spyder. My question is, where do I hook up? Do I have to go to the back of the fuse block or are there wires terminated somewhere that are connected to the two empty fuse slots? If I have to go directly to the fuse block, how do the wires connect to the block? What do I need to disassemble?

This is the plug that is wired in for the factory power plug. It is keyed on, just look for it on the left side of the bike behind the fuse block.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/7/18815334450.jpg

jeuchler
07-07-2008, 02:40 PM

spickus--

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I (and others would) recommend you put it (or them) on the dash instead of in the trunk as the BRP directions show.

I'd even warrant it was l e s s labor to mount it there...

spickus
07-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Thank you, the pictures were a big help. Yes, I think the dash makes good sense.

Lamonster
07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
spickus--

Forgive me if this is obvious, but I (and others would) recommend you put it (or them) on the dash instead of in the trunk as the BRP directions show.

:agree::thumbup:

glenn
07-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Hello, I left for a week came back and found new sight, I could not log in with old info.my name was agito now just glenn can u help with old log in or should i just stay with new. thanks sorry to bother.

ataDude
07-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Hello, I left for a week came back and found new sight, I could not log in with old info.my name was agito now just glenn can u help with old log in or should i just stay with new. thanks sorry to bother.

Read this:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5716

NancysToy
07-07-2008, 06:15 PM
spickus--

If you are going to mount one on the dash, I would consider the Powerlet (BMW type) outlets. They are smaller, much more waterproof when closed, and very vibration resistant, so plugs stay plugged in.
-Scotty

bjt
07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
If you are going to mount one on the dash, I would consider the Powerlet (BMW type) outlets. They are smaller, much more waterproof when closed, and very vibration resistant, so plugs stay plugged in.
-Scotty

:agree:

IdleUp
07-10-2008, 09:39 PM
This is the plug that is wired in for the factory power plug. It is keyed on, just look for it on the left side of the bike behind the fuse block.

http://img2.putfile.com/main/7/18815334450.jpg

Lamonster can I reach these 12V wires without removing the trunk and side panels and is it fused in the fuse panel?

Thanks

spickus
07-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Lamonster can I reach these 12V wires without removing the trunk and side panels and is it fused in the fuse panel?

Thanks

I didn't want to cut a hole in the body as I'm only going to use the outlet for my TomTom. I just removed the yellow side panel with thumb screws, and the black panel that houses the fog lights. This gave me a clear shot to snip the zip tie and plug in the GPS. The whole thing took 15 minutes. The directions that come with the BRP plug are very good. If you do not want to mount the plug in the trunk, you'll need some wire and spade connectors as the factory harness is just long enough to go through the "firewall".

Kural
07-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Huh. Just found this thread today, after installing 2 power adapters, Yesterday! ;)

We mounted one on each side of the "dash" Okay, I was nervous as all get-out to do this ourselves, but my husband had just done it to his bike, and it came out looking professional, so I decided to make the leap of faith and go for it. It was easy and looks very nice.

IMHO I couldn't see why I would want the adapter in the trunk? Maybe someone else has a different perspective?

Sorry, no pics yet. Will see if I can get the Hubby to help with that...

dltang
07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Huh. Just found this thread today, after installing 2 power adapters, Yesterday! ;)

We mounted one on each side of the "dash" Okay, I was nervous as all get-out to do this ourselves, but my husband had just done it to his bike, and it came out looking professional, so I decided to make the leap of faith and go for it. It was easy and looks very nice.

IMHO I couldn't see why I would want the adapter in the trunk? Maybe someone else has a different perspective?

Sorry, no pics yet. Will see if I can get the Hubby to help with that...

That's what we did, I have two on my dash and they come in handy and look very professional
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/outlet1.jpg

Kural
07-21-2008, 12:53 PM
yep just like that above :2thumbs:

IdleUp
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
That's what we did, I have two on my dash and they come in handy and look very professional
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/dltang/outlet1.jpg

Could I ask what is the procedure for removing the dash to get access under there! I guess like you did.

Thanks!

ataDude
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
Could I ask what is the procedure for removing the dash to get access under there! I guess like you did.

Thanks!

If I may jump in here, mine are exactly the same so.....

For access there is no need to remove the dash plastic... only the instrument cluster which needs only a small flat-bladed screwdriver to depress the locking tabs on the top. That takes all of 1-2 minutes... if you're slow like me. :)

Use a uni-bit to make a clean hole through the plastic. Note that the holes should be drilled as far forward/up as you can get and still clear the instrument cluster. The bottom clearance for the plugs is somewhat restricted further back toward the saddle.