PDA

View Full Version : Saddlebag mounting bracket & muffler mount- broke again!

bill pitman
09-29-2013, 07:55 AM
This first message is from Sept 2010-

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by bill pitman http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=245326#post245326)

"Went for a 70 mile ride this day in north Jersey. I was over by the Sussex airport and decided to turn in and see who might be around and to check out the skydivers. As I turned into the driveway a state cop passed me going the other way. I drove around the buildings and over by the skydiver's area and as I was leaving, I noticed a trooper driving between the buildings. As I was ready to pull onto Rt 565, the trooper pulled up along side me and asked " do you know your muffler is dragging on the ground". I pull in by the diner,hopped off the bike and was dumbfounded to see the muffler angled down and touching the ground!

I have BRP hard bags and bracketing and where the bolt from the muffler bracket(the wide strap) goes thru the black luggage/footpeg bracket- the black bracket had broken away and let the assembly rotate down to the ground. I have no idea when this happened during the ride and didn't hear a thing !!
I went into the airport and Vinnie had some wire , I was able to wire the muffler up and get home.

I thanked the trooper for taking the time to turnaround,when he had seen the problem, and make me aware of the situation.

Moral of the story: Those of you with BRP hard bags/brackets and at least the stock muffler, tomorrow morning you might want to remove that mounting bolt and check for a stress crack in the bracket!

I plan on calling Palmer's on Tuesday, as the bracket and muffler now need to be replaced. 3300 miles, definite warranty issue.

Interested to see if anyone else has seen this. I haven't seen anything on the forum!?"

This message from Sept 28,2013

Bill Pitman

First time was Sept of 2010, black bracket tab broke,

Now today was on a ride and yep, it broke again. The bottom round tab that the muffler SS bracket secures to. When I got home, looking at the break, could see where the tab(with hole), part of it was worn and discolored and has been broken for a period of time.
I had looked at that area prior to going to SpyderQuest. It's diffult to see and looking from the back, you couldn't see the cracked side.
In 2010, Rusty Palmer's fixed this issue, and I believe, had to eat part of the cost. The reason being, in BRP's in infinite wisdom , you can't order and get just the one part you need , but must get the whole bag package. Makes no sense to me.
So, my plan this time , discuss with Jason and Kyle ( Palmer's) and see what can be done to make a permanent repair.
The area of the break, sort of looks like a washer, so thinking, remove the bracket and weld up a thick " washer-like" piece .....
This is definitely NOT a wear item, but I'm sure the dealer will have fun dealing with BRP.
Earlier in the day I was at Rusty Palmer's. If I had known , I would have looked at a Spyder w/ side bags and checked if the muffler mount design had been changed!

Any others had this issue, since Sept of 2010?

76768Note right side portion, discolored. Been broken a while, could not see when in place!

Bill

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Bill Could the attachment have loosened up, and shook itself apart? :dontknow:
This might be a place for some Loc-Tite, and monitoriing... Good Luck! :thumbup:

Chupaca
09-29-2013, 11:07 AM
does the other side do this..?? Seems to me that mounting it to the muffler bolt with the flexing rubber grommet can be the problem. The other side no doubt is solid mounted. Foot peg extensions added a tab to mount the muffler with the grommet so the extension would be solidly mounted...jmo good luck..!! :thumbup:

wftb
09-29-2013, 03:44 PM
get the GIVI bag mounting kit .i just looked at mine and the GIVI kit actually makes that area stronger than stock .you have to put your signals on the fender though .there is no way my setup can break like that .

bill pitman
09-29-2013, 04:53 PM
does the other side do this..?? Seems to me that mounting it to the muffler bolt with the flexing rubber grommet can be the problem. The other side no doubt is solid mounted. Foot peg extensions added a tab to mount the muffler with the grommet so the extension would be solidly mounted...jmo good luck..!! :thumbup:

I got the Spyder with the saddlebags.
So when I bought the foot peg extensions, half the work was done.
That "tab" on the bottom of the right mounting bracket must get too much side/side vibration or movement.
The last post said something about Givi's mounting method, I'd like to see pictures of that.
So as it stands now, I've removed the broken bracket and have gone back to the original muffler mount position.
What this means is, no saddlebags can be used, or a weird looking Spyder if I choose to use only the left side saddle bag!
Those with the extended foot peg , also have the possibility of a broken muffler mount, or maybe I'm just the chosen one.....

Bill

wftb
09-29-2013, 07:56 PM
pics are on the thread "my saddle bags and top bag " by WFTB in the mods section on page 4 .aso go on GIVI website , you can probably find a picture of a non installed rack .it is not that clear on my pics how it works and i cant seem to post pics off my mac .