PDA

View Full Version : RT oil overfill

palover
09-28-2013, 09:15 PM
My dealer overfilled my oil by apx 3/8 inch over the fill mark when measured hot. After a ride, a quantity of oil, apx 2 - 3 oz, appeared under the bike on the garage floor toward the rear wheel. The dealer has no idea as to where the oil came from in the bike. I will probably siphon enough oil to bring it down to the full line. Anybody have an idea as to where the oil came from?

scott16119
09-28-2013, 09:20 PM
The air cleaner box.

MikeinGA
09-28-2013, 09:47 PM
To remove the excass oil use a turkey baster with clear 6 inch hose that fits the open part of the baster. The over fill will cause an over pressure in the oiling system and can blow an engine seal and in a SE5 trans. cause shifting problems. Do this ASAP.Mike

boborgera
09-28-2013, 10:21 PM
My dealer overfilled my oil by apx 3/8 inch over the fill mark when measured hot. After a ride, a quantity of oil, apx 2 - 3 oz, appeared under the bike on the garage floor toward the rear wheel. The dealer has no idea as to where the oil came from in the bike. I will probably siphon enough oil to bring it down to the full line. Anybody have an idea as to where the oil came from?

Air cleaner box, Search blow by.. I guess your dealer never worked on Dry sump engines.:rolleyes:
Or hes just playing stupid..

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 10:48 PM
It could be dripping out of the airbox, or it could actually be some of the drained oil that collected in the splash pan due to a clumsy change and no clean up afterward. Could also be a blown filter o-ring due to an improper installation, or a bad oil pressure sensor. Clean it up, then ride it and start tracing the source.

Chupaca
09-28-2013, 11:41 PM
ideally you would pull the panels and bottom plate and clean them if they are full of oil it could be what Scotty said. At that time you can check for oil on the engine and around the filter cover and check that the filter cap bolts are tight. Clean the whole area re assemble ryde and recheck....good luck..!! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 07:19 AM
:shocked: And please let us know what you find! :thumbup:

Topshotta
09-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Think I might be having the same issue, took it to the dealer and they stripped it had powder all over it to trace the leak but could not find any leaks. Have it back for two days and there was a drp on the garage floor. I am not sure what I should do next. I guess I will need to try another dealer.
pisses me off as the weather is perfect for riding

Questions
10-01-2013, 04:28 AM
hi, had oil leak on side back tire,,,and on the ground,,,,,was the rear schock leaking oil ,,,,