PDA

View Full Version : Waxing the Spyder

ValleyRider
09-28-2013, 10:40 AM
While getting gas yesterday, a man gassing his 4 wheeler approached me with the usual questions about the bike. I had just completed a long trip and had not had the opportunity to wash all the bugs off of the bike. He suggested I should use Lucas Wax which would prevent bugs and debris sticking to the bike. Lucas Wax is not sold in my area. Has anyone used this product, and how did it perform? Would like to hear from anyone who can recommend a waxing product.

can-am sam
09-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I use Turtle Wax Ice. It is a clear liquid wax that can also be applied to the black plastic parts and leaves no white wax residue. It also leaves a shine on the black plastic. I have used it on my cars and Spyder. Works great!

Spyder Tony
09-28-2013, 12:43 PM
While getting gas yesterday, a man gassing his 4 wheeler approached me with the usual questions about the bike. I had just completed a long trip and had not had the opportunity to wash all the bugs off of the bike. He suggested I should use Lucas Wax which would prevent bugs and debris sticking to the bike. Lucas Wax is not sold in my area. Has anyone used this product, and how did it perform? Would like to hear from anyone who can recommend a waxing product.

I use Meguiars professional car wash, Turtle Wax Ice for wax, and Pig Spit for a daily shine and bug/grime repellant.

CurtG
09-28-2013, 01:38 PM
The guys I ride with swear by the Lucas spray for end of ride cleaning. I've been using Maquiers (sp) detailer and will switch to the Lucas product when it runs out. Tom says continued use of the Lucas stuff really help keep bug and road grim from sticking. I've found that Novus #1 has the same effect on the wind screen.

Ride and ride safe,

Spyder4Tess
09-28-2013, 02:10 PM
I don't think there are any waxes that will prevent bugs and their guts from sticking.

Dan_Ashley
09-28-2013, 05:44 PM
I use pledge.

Chupaca
09-28-2013, 05:58 PM
I use Plexus or Protect All and they both work well. Big price difference between the two. Just remember your working with paint on plastic and shop around there are a good many products out there..!! :thumbup:

coronaman
09-28-2013, 06:02 PM
What does everyone use on Matte Finish. Have 2012 RSS Can Am red with the frunk having matte finish

Spyder ri
09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
Believe it or not....

I've been having great luck with Bass Boat Saver. I use it on the gel coat of my boat also. It sprays on and can be used on the windshield, plastic, seat, everything... Keeps the guts off too.

billrob71
09-28-2013, 07:38 PM
I mainly use a spray glass cleaner on all the plastic parts and the bugs come off pretty easy, and works well on the flat black

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Regular car wash for a normal "day of suds"
Meguiar's or Pledge for a lick and a buff...
Pig Snot for waxing chores... :thumbup:

Daisyjoe
09-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Regular car wash for a normal "day of suds"
Meguiar's or Pledge for a lick and a buff...
Pig Snot for waxing chores... :thumbup:

Bob, how difficult is it to find a pig with a cold??

draboo
09-28-2013, 09:40 PM
REJEX!
(http://www.rejex.com/)

Dan_Ashley
09-28-2013, 10:22 PM
I mainly use a spray glass cleaner on all the plastic parts and the bugs come off pretty easy, and works well on the flat black
Don't use this on the windshield or head light covers. Over time it will wreck them. Really.

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Don't use this on the windshield or head light covers. Over time it will wreck them. Really.
Glass cleaning products witn ammonia will, indeed, do this. Products like Windex Multi-Surface with Vinegar are safe, though.

rc51ny
09-29-2013, 07:05 AM
After a ride when the bike is covered with suicidal bug splats, I just take a nice clean rag and soak it in warm/hot water. Then lay the rag on the dead bugs for a few seconds and they wipe right off with almost no rubbing needed. Then clean and wax with your favorite product--me--I use pledge or Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax.

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Bob, how difficult is it to find a pig with a cold??
Oh! I usually try and find one that's just fighting allergies at the time. :roflblack: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_10_2.gif

ijon1
09-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Pig snot, good stuff, comes from Florida, lots of bugs.

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 07:12 AM
It IS pretty slippery ;). I've had this bottle for years... You just seem to need to use so little of it to cover a bike... :thumbup:

ulflyer
09-29-2013, 07:29 AM

Have heard this for years yet I've used regular Windex on the Can Am and previous Givi windshields with no issues. I do use some Eagle One wash & Wax as well as Turtle Ice on the WS also. These two also are great for all the black trim and won't turn white.

Dan_Ashley
09-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Have heard this for years yet I've used regular Windex on the Can Am and previous Givi windshields with no issues. I do use some Eagle One wash & Wax as well as Turtle Ice on the WS also. These two also are great for all the black trim and won't turn white.
The warning to not do this is not based on opinion. It is chemistry.

NancysToy
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
The warning to not do this is not based on opinion. It is chemistry.

:agree: Ammonia or alcohol based products will craze or cloud the windshield (or face shields) in due time. The acrylic windshileds are particularly susceptable, but the polycarbonate (Lexan) windshields like the Spyder will suffer eventually.

rock
09-29-2013, 06:05 PM
when we purchased the bike we used honda spray...it is easy to apply and buff. you can use it in bright sun or cold weather...how ever after having pin striping done to the bike the painter said not to use a petrolium based spray.it will dull the striping ..honda spray is petrolium based...we now use bug slide and it works well...we dont get the bright sheen we got with the honda spray but it protects very well...application is easy and it buffs easily..and it is not petrolium based...

rock
09-29-2013, 06:11 PM
we use bug slide on the bike and lemon pledge on the wind shield...if you are caught in the rain, you get the pleasure of the lemony taste as you are going down the road as it rolls off the wind shield and hits your face..you may look funny licking your face going down the road, but the taste is awesome....

Dan_Ashley
09-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Don't use anything that has amonia or alcohol. See the atteached PDF for the reasons why.
furniture polish is very good, so is Plexus.

http://www.palramhort.com/pdffiles/PC_Products_General_Info/PC_Chemical_Resistance.pdf

Amonia based cleaners will cause the surface of the polycarbonate and acrylics ( tail light lenses) to "craze" and turn cloudy.

I think the Goldwing spay has alcohol; Windex has amonia. You would be better off cleaning with duesel fuel (don't use that either--it is extremely flamable).