PDA

View Full Version : Look Ma, no colors!

bhfromme
09-28-2013, 10:14 AM
http://spyder.brp.com/files/en-US/Images/Billboard/2014_Spyder.pdf Ok I hate to sound like a complainer. I really do. But one of my big beefs with BRP has been the lack of colors. I've always thought they should offer more colors. Well I downloaded the sales brochure for the 2014 Spyders and what do I see? All base models now come in only white or black. Wow. Really? The marketing minds at BRP must be concerned that too many people are buying base models so they worked up a way to put the kibosh to that in a real hurry. Glad I bought my silver RT when I did. BRP if you're listening hear me when I say you have now successfully stopped me from having thoughts of upgrading to a new Spyder. And if I'm thinking like this there must be hundreds or even thousands of guys thinking the exact same thing.

Spy+
09-28-2013, 10:43 AM
don't over think it.. just take it to a body-shop and have them paint the bike the color you want.. think of the white or black as the starting point.. :thumbup:

Woody
09-28-2013, 10:45 AM
http://spyder.brp.com/files/en-US/Images/Billboard/2014_Spyder.pdf Ok I hate to sound like a complainer. I really do. But one of my big beefs with BRP has been the lack of colors. I've always thought they should offer more colors. Well I downloaded the sales brochure for the 2014 Spyders and what do I see? All base models now come in only white or black. Wow. Really? The marketing minds at BRP must be concerned that too many people are buying base models so they worked up a way to put the kibosh to that in a real hurry. Glad I bought my silver RT when I did. BRP if you're listening hear me when I say you have now successfully stopped me from all thoughts of upgrading to a new Spyder. And if I'm thinking like this there must be hundreds or even thousands of guys thinking the exact same thing.

AND they can only make ONE color at a time!

Magdave
09-28-2013, 10:46 AM
http://spyder.brp.com/files/en-US/Images/Billboard/2014_Spyder.pdf Ok I hate to sound like a complainer. I really do. But one of my big beefs with BRP has been the lack of colors. I've always thought they should offer more colors. Well I downloaded the sales brochure for the 2014 Spyders and what do I see? All base models now come in only white or black. Wow. Really? The marketing minds at BRP must be concerned that too many people are buying base models so they worked up a way to put the kibosh to that in a real hurry. Glad I bought my silver RT when I did. BRP if you're listening hear me when I say you have now successfully stopped me from all thoughts of upgrading to a new Spyder. And if I'm thinking like this there must be hundreds or even thousands of guys thinking the exact same thing.

I agree I would be getting a '14 if Mag silver were offered. My Vette was the same color. I would even do that if Orange was offered I loved and miss my Orange HHR but they must not want to sell RTs anymore. I just don't want to pay for stuff I do not want or need to get the color I want.

bhfromme
09-28-2013, 10:48 AM
don't over think it.. just take it to a body-shop and have them paint the bike the color you want.. think of the white or black as the starting point.. :thumbup: Thanks. Not over thinking is something I definitely need to work on!

mrfats
09-28-2013, 10:49 AM
don't over think it.. just take it to a body-shop and have them paint the bike the color you want.. think of the white or black as the starting point.. :thumbup:

A couple weeks ago, people were saying a paint job could cost upwards of $5000! :yikes:

Magdave
09-28-2013, 10:56 AM
A couple weeks ago, people were saying a paint job could cost upwards of $5000! :yikes:

Yep for a good one that is true. To do it right you must disassemble it and prep each panel by hand lots of man hours involved. You could aleays take it to MAACO if you like overspray and non stick paint:barf:

SpyderAnn01
09-28-2013, 10:56 AM
AND they can only make ONE color at a time!

This is killing me! The common denominator in all the models is white and black but from the info I got from BRP the build schedule is: cognac - Oct; yellow - Nov; silver - Dec; black - Jan and last and least is white - Feb.

:banghead:

Magdave
09-28-2013, 10:59 AM
This is killing me! The common denominator in all the models is white and black but from the info I got from BRP the build schedule is: cognac - Oct; yellow - Nov; silver - Dec; black - Jan and last and least is white - Feb.

:banghead:
Believe it or not white is the most expensive and hardest color to get right.

SpyderAnn01
09-28-2013, 11:03 AM

Yes, that may be true but they have been making white RTs since 2011 so I would think that they have a paint color and technique all figured out by now.

otter28169
09-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Who cares what color it is when you have more power and an extra gear??!! Most RTs get painted, farkled, and/or Lit up with LEDs anyway. It is a chance for you to make it your own. A wrap is another way of going about it, and it is much less expensive than paint.

Just sayin'............

Dan McNally
09-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Who cares what color it is when you have more power and an extra gear??!! Most RTs get painted, farkled, and/or Lit up with LEDs anyway. It is a chance for you to make it your own. A wrap is another way of going about it, and it is much less expensive than paint.

Just sayin'............

Farkled and lit, perhaps, but I doubt "Most RTs get painted" . . . that is a huge chunk of change.

mindman
09-28-2013, 12:57 PM
If you think BRP lacks imagination / creativity when it comes to colors, check out the BMW Motorcycles site!

SpyderAnn01
09-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Just sayin'............

You don't understand, the problem is getting one.

DJFaninTN
09-28-2013, 02:52 PM
what they should offer is the RT Limited with just a primer on the plastic. this way I can get it painted whatever color I want and they don't have the expense of time or materials in the bike.

its a win/win situation for each of us.

bhfromme
09-28-2013, 03:00 PM

Just sayin'............ Who cares? I do. A factory paint job is far superior to a body shop's and beyond that is the cost. I've also seen quotes upwards of $5000 to change color. Why would I want to pay that kind of money for an inferior product? When I buy something new I want it in the right color without screwing around with a body shop.

Highwayman2013
09-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Kawasaki only makes the Vulcan Voyager in TWO colors and changes up every year. I think it keeps the cost down. That being said I would have liked my 2012 Limited in silver:shemademe_smilie: but white is good too.

DJFaninTN
09-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Who cares? I do. A factory paint job is far superior to a body shop's and beyond that is the cost. I've also seen quotes upwards of $5000 to change color. Why would I want to pay that kind of money for an inferior product? When I buy something new I want it in the right color without screwing around with a body shop.

i will disagree with your statement of a factory paint job being superior to a body shop's. I've seen lots of new cars that the paint from the factory was horrible. I know most of them are done by robots these days but they do make some pretty stupid mistakes.

we purchased a new 2012 kia optima sx last year. ended up taking the car back to the dealer after two days to complain about the paint job. the back door did not match the front door or the hood at all. couldn't really see it until you were at a certain angle and in the sun. looking straight on at the car you couldn't see it.

Kia ended up buying the car back from me but only after a knock down drag out at the dealership and threatening to have a lawyer involved along with the local news. it all comes down to the tech at the end of the line watching what is going on and having great QC. I think a really good body shop guy who also paints can out do the factory any day.

wyliec
09-28-2013, 04:41 PM
i will disagree with your statement of a factory paint job being superior to a body shop's. I've seen lots of new cars that the paint from the factory was horrible. I know most of them are done by robots these days but they do make some pretty stupid mistakes.

That may have been your experience; but, I have seen to many paint jobs from supposed professional body shops that cannot color match. I'm not talking about painting an area that's on the same panel. I'm talking about two panels with a break between them, like a front door and a back door.

I agree with bhfromme about factory paint jobs.

In regards to BRP not offering enough colors for the base model, that doesn't bother me. I plan on keeping my 2008 red spyder until it falls apart. By the way, they did a great job of painting it at the factory.

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 04:52 PM
They only offer Black and White in the "Basic" models as another incentive to get you to move up.
It's Marketing; pure and simple! :thumbup:

Dan_Ashley
09-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Will 2012 or 2013 body panels fit on a 2014?

Chupaca
09-28-2013, 06:44 PM
many smaller operations have to set up all the equipment for paint. Clean out one color so as to paint another. If dipped then all tanks have to be drained and refilled with new color. Now to have a paint set up for each color would cost to much they just go for one color at a time. How they decide how many to paint each color is a bit of a mystery. They could have a custom order sending prepped panels to a paint shop and adjusting the price accordingly, knock off for their not painting it and add the outside charge, but I may be thinking logically...that's dangerous..!! :roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Will 2012 or 2013 body panels fit on a 2014?
Some might; not all of them... :banghead:

wetmountainman
09-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Maybe a dumb Noob question, but aren't most plastic panels molded in the chosen color and not painted? I'd assume that's why they make them in color series.

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I kind of thought that also; until my bike picked up it's first scratch... :yikes:

poordom
09-28-2013, 08:39 PM

No actually its black, since you notice everything wrong with black, other colors are more tolerant.

Obviously this is not taking into account all the special graphic and color mixes.

Dom

Tango
09-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Why not off a custom paint program? At an upcharge of x amount of dollars. Now that would be awesome! :clap: Tom :trike:

Bob Denman
09-28-2013, 08:51 PM
first: cost :shocked:
second: you just know that it'd only be for the Limiteds... :gaah:

Raknid
09-28-2013, 08:59 PM
I agree with the OP. Base model should offer more than black and white. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it probably is an effort to put a premium on more distinctive colors. And I don't think one should have to repaint a brand new bike that already is priced north of $20K.

poordom
09-28-2013, 09:38 PM
I agree with the OP. Base model should offer more than black and white. I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it probably is an effort to put a premium on more distinctive colors. And I don't think one should have to repaint a brand new bike that already is priced north of $20K.

I agree, it makes no sense to me either.

Dan_Ashley
09-28-2013, 09:53 PM
Some might; not all of them... :banghead:
Just paint the ones that don't fit??? Bad idea??..

bhfromme
09-28-2013, 11:17 PM
They only offer Black and White in the "Basic" models as another incentive to get you to move up.
It's Marketing; pure and simple! :thumbup: That's exactly what is making me so crazy Bob. That BRP is trying to squeeze everyone into buying the RT-S or the Limited by only offering black and white for the basic RTs. It's pretty hard to respect a business model that would do that.

MrLooney
09-29-2013, 01:07 AM

In Stained Glass RED is the most expensive color so I see no reason why not that RED in any paint would be no different.

Why?

Gold is used to make Red

At least it was

Bob Denman
09-29-2013, 06:54 AM
That's exactly what is making me so crazy Bob. That BRP is trying to squeeze everyone into buying the RT-S or the Limited by only offering black and white for the basic RTs. It's pretty hard to respect a business model that would do that.
Why do you think it's odd that they would try to maximze their revenues? :dontknow:
The entire point of business is to make money. I sure don't do what I do here out of the goodness of my heart; you collected a paycheck also...