PDA

View Full Version : Frunk not closing well

GMac
09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the frunk not closing well? I have a 2012 RT Limited (bought new in March). It used to close just fine but I find that now in order to get it to close (and latch) I really have to slam it pretty hard.

If anyone else HAS had this problem, do you know if there's some kind of adjustment to be made that's fairly simple (I am NOT a mechanic!)?

I have made certain that the lip liner (or whatever you call that rubber thing that goes around the seal) is seated well and that there's nothing anywhere to block it - and it doesn't make any difference if it's empty or full, I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!!
Gary

Magdave
09-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the frunk not closing well? I have a 2012 RT Limited (bought new in March). It used to close just fine but I find that now in order to get it to close (and latch) I really have to slam it pretty hard.

If anyone else HAS had this problem, do you know if there's some kind of adjustment to be made that's fairly simple (I am NOT a mechanic!)?

I have made certain that the lip liner (or whatever you call that rubber thing that goes around the seal) is seated well and that there's nothing anywhere to block it - and it doesn't make any difference if it's empty or full, I have the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!!!
Gary

Mine has only closed one way and that is lay it down and push on it in the center. It has never "drop closed".

Jim&Teresa
09-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Hello fellow Spyderlover! I too have had this problem. I think it happened during my first 500 miles and I was in a parking lot and people watching me having trouble closing the frunk and getting it to latch. How embarrassing! Thank God I am mechanically minded and looked at the issue -- it was the latching mechanism. The bolt that holds the latch must have been a little loose and the latch actually pivots downward when that happens to a point after awhile that it won't latch. Therefore, I was lucky to remember where the tool kit is (under the seat). Took out the appropriate wrench and was able to move the latch up a little so I could latch it to get home. Once home, I adjusted the frunk with the front hinge adjustment (was off a little from the set-up originally) and re-adjusted the latching mechanism and torque the bolt / nut pretty tight so it doesn't do that again. Now it closes very easily and tightly. I can drop it and it latches in place (due to better alignment). Good luck to you and your Spyder.

mcaccamise
09-28-2013, 09:46 AM
I would think the latch lock is adjustable on the RT my RSS is and can be adjusted up,down or right or left on the trunk lid. Good luck hope you get it adjusted and locked.

Magdave
09-28-2013, 12:33 PM
If it latches too easy you are not getting a watertight seal Ride in the rain and check after. :thumbup:

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Double check the trunk weatherstrip and also the trunk liner installation if you have a trunk liner. The velcro on that can cause interference. The other thing to check is the trunk microswitch lever. If the lever gets bent, it interferes, if ben t a lot, the trunk will not close. The latch is adjustable but unless the bolts came loose it should be fine if it worked before. I haven't seen it on an RT, but on an RS if the trunk lid hinge bolt gets dry, dirty, or the nuts tighten after being opened and closed many times, the hinge becomes stiff and the trunk is harder to close. Check yours. Finally...or rather first thing, lubricate the trunk latch as Roger said. A silicone or teflon spray, or even some silicone, white lithium, or synthetic grease works fine. These minor lubrication tasks are the most overlooked maintenance tasks on the list. Most owners and many dealers seldom do them.

flaggerphil
09-28-2013, 04:45 PM
I had the same problem and it finally got to the point where the frunk would not latch at all. Took it to my dealer, they took about a half hour to adjust it and now it's fine. They said it happens from time to time. No charge.

GMac
09-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I'll try some of those this week and see if makes a difference (especially the one about lubricating - even being a dummy mechanically, I can handle that one!).

Thanks again!!!
Gary

Jim&Teresa
09-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Double check the trunk weatherstrip and also the trunk liner installation if you have a trunk liner. The velcro on that can cause interference. The other thing to check is the trunk microswitch lever. If the lever gets bent, it interferes, if ben t a lot, the trunk will not close. The latch is adjustable but unless the bolts came loose it should be fine if it worked before. I haven't seen it on an RT, but on an RS if the trunk lid hinge bolt gets dry, dirty, or the nuts tighten after being opened and closed many times, the hinge becomes stiff and the trunk is harder to close. Check yours. Finally...or rather first thing, lubricate the trunk latch as Roger said. A silicone or teflon spray, or even some silicone, white lithium, or synthetic grease works fine. These minor lubrication tasks are the most overlooked maintenance tasks on the list. Most owners and many dealers seldom do them.

You are right to check weatherstripping. I used to "fight" with it all the time. I used double stick tape in about a dozen places around the perimeter to hold this in -- no more problems.....:thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like they have you covered. I have had problems with the trunk liner weatherstriping not being down all the way. A quick re-seating, and the lid closed well.