PDA

View Full Version : Possible oil leak?

Orange monster
09-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I noticed some oil on the right side plastic skid plate the other day so I took it off and cleaned it off real good thinking that some oil might have spilt on it when the dealer did the 600 mile service. Tonight I noticed some oil on it again so I took it and the side panel off and noticed a few drops on the very bottom of the engine case but really can't tell where it might be coming from. It's not enough oil to even drip on the garage floor but it has me wondering now. I had to add about 1/5 of a quart of oil after 2200 miles so it doesn't appear to be using or leaking very much oil. Any idea where it might be coming from? Any known problem seals or could it be coming from the airbox? When oil is puked into the airbox is it known to leak out? Thanks in advance!

NancysToy
09-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Probably blow-by into the airbox. It goes everywhere when it drips out. Check to see that your oil is not overfilled. That makes the blow-by much worse.

Orange monster
09-27-2013, 10:49 PM
Probably blow-by into the airbox. It goes everywhere when it drips out. Check to see that your oil is not overfilled. That makes the blow-by much worse.

Since I have never seen any oil on the garage floor I was thinking it was most likely blow-by leaking out of the airbox. I have not had the airbox off myself yet so I wasn't real sure how it was designed or where it could leak out. It should be rainy here in Dallas on Sunday so I might have to take it all apart and see how it's designed and where it could be leaking from. Thanks for the info!

Tazzel
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
I have the samething after my 4600 mile service

Chupaca
09-28-2013, 01:57 AM
to leak from the right side many times to the front of the air box. With any luck there may be a trail unfortunately many time there is not. Clean all around and check next time out..good luck..!! :thumbup:

bobnaquin
09-28-2013, 06:02 AM
Run one half quart low on your oil and clean your air box out. Even then what has already gotten on your engine may drip down for some time. Then just ignore it.

groundeffect
09-28-2013, 06:07 AM
As Scotty mentioned, likely just blow-by oil from the airbox. The airbox is to be cleaned/checked every 5000km. If you are seeing drips now, best to remove front side and upper middle panel and pop off top of airbox. Give if a cleaning and all will be well again.

groundeffect
09-28-2013, 06:09 AM
PS there are some very cheap and easy modifications some ryders have implemented to removes the drips and oil collection in the airbox. A search will find you the details on the forum.