PDA

View Full Version : Kumho Ecsta AST Installed.

Copperman
09-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Just had a Kumho installed on my RT Limited. The dealer made me sign a waiver saying they're not responsible (liable) if something goes wrong with my stability control, traction control or ABS systems. Service writer said they were just covering their butt. Cost me just under $165.00 for both the tire and installation.

I hope I get more than 7000 miles out of it.

Chupaca
09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
now we expect to here from you in about a week..should have over 7,000 miles by then...:roflblack: Let us know how it works out..!! :thumbup:

Copperman
09-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Leaving for Lake Barkley (KY) next Friday. I'll be riding two-up and towing a trailer. It will be a 600+ mile trip so I should have some opinion on the new tire.

I can't believe I only got 7000 miles on the original tire!

rnet
09-27-2013, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=Copperman;696322]Just had a Kumho installed on my RT Limited. The dealer made me sign a waiver saying they're not responsible (liable) if something goes wrong with my stability control, traction control or ABS systems. Service writer said they were just covering their butt. Cost me just under $165.00 for both the tire and installation.

I hope I get more than 7000 miles out of it.[/QUOTE ]Ouch :yikes: $129 here

samewok
09-27-2013, 07:58 PM
I think the dealer is wrong. What does the tire have to do with the ABS or traction control?

KeithInAurora
09-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I think the dealer is wrong. What does the tire have to do with the ABS or traction control?

I'm getting ready to do the same thing and my dealer (in IL) told me the same thing. They said something about rubber compound used in the tire possibly throwing off a sensor. Personally, I'm not buying the reason (especially since so many SL's have used road tires successfully), but I guess it's their right to not want to move away from the OEM tire without having a waiver.

SteveMac
09-27-2013, 10:59 PM
Leaving for Lake Barkley (KY) next Friday. I'll be riding two-up and towing a trailer. It will be a 600+ mile trip so I should have some opinion on the new tire.

I can't believe I only got 7000 miles on the original tire!

I had the same tire put on my old RT. It will do just fine for you. Safe trip to Barkley. See you there. :doorag:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
I think the dealer is wrong. You are correct ....What does the tire have to do with the ABS or traction control? NOTHING it has to do with BRP and their DEAL with KENDA........Mike :thumbup:

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 03:29 PM

NOTHING it has to do with BRP and their DEAL with KENDA........Mike :thumbup:

The tire actually does have a great deal to do with the way the VSS behaves. It is not as grim as this dealer seems to think, however. There are two things about the tire that are quite important in the interaction with the VSS...tire grip and tire size. A different tire traction coefficient, wet or dry, won't cause limp mode but a tire with too little traction can cause the traction control to be triggered more readily. It can also cause the VSS to have to make steering corrections under certain conditions if the front and rear traction differ too much. If the rear slides out in the curves or sticks tighter than the front, it can trigger VSS intervention. The other issue is tire size. Although Miss Nanny can tolerate a slight difference in the expected rate of rotation of the wheels, tire sizes that are too far off the norm can cause the ABS (wheel speed) sensors to measure unexpected front-to-rear differences in wheel speed, which can cause limp mode if it persists (the Spyder thinks an ABS sensor has failed) or even trigger the traction control continually. Because BRP has only tested and calibrated the Spyder systems to work with this one selected tire (much like automotive manufacturers), dealers often worry that changing tires will cause a problem, so they CYA with these silly waivers to avoid possible monetary losses if things don't work out.

mrfats
09-28-2013, 04:05 PM
I must be fortunate...I got 13,000 on my OEM before I replaced all three with same! I thought I should get more. After reading here, maybe not. Theres a lot of twisties in WV!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2013, 06:44 PM
I must be fortunate...I got 13,000 on my OEM before I replaced all three with same! I thought I should get more. After reading here, maybe not. Theres a lot of twisties in WV!

From what I've learned about the LAZER alignment ....30,000 miles is very possible from the OEM front tires ......Car tires I think would be even higher...JMHO...Mike :thumbup:

NancysToy
09-28-2013, 10:17 PM
From what I've learned about the LAZER alignment ....30,000 miles is very possible from the OEM front tires ......Car tires I think would be even higher...JMHO...Mike :thumbup:

30K is most certainy not only possible, but it is quite probable with proper alignment. I have not had the laser alignment, but I am one of the fortunate ones who has good factory alignment, runs the suspension preset pretty high, and does not weigh so much that I compress the suspension excessively (which increases toe-out). I have 25K on my fronts and they are worn only about halfway to the wear bars. I expect 35K-40K out of these Kenda fronts. With a laser alignment, set up for the normal rider/passenger/cargo load, I would expect the same.

Pandy
09-29-2013, 01:22 AM
My dealer installed my Kuhmo without any other comment. Had the rear hub rebuilt as well at the same time. Haven't noticed any Nanny weirdness or radically different feel, just great wear so far with about 5K on the tire. My first fronts went about 25K and wore to the inside. I was told by a trusted source that this was common. On this set of fronts, with 20K so far I have rotated them with every oil change. Much better wear this time.