PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RT

jmcbow
09-26-2013, 10:37 AM
Just a couple of dumb questions, as I've not been able to determine this from the limited info out on the 2014 RT.

First, do all of the RT models include the adjustable handlebars?

Second, am I correct when I say that the RT Limited model is only available in an automatic trans?

Also, why do they only seem to offer certain colors for the different RT models? Isn't it the same tupperware, why can't you get an RTS in silver for instance?

maliamd
09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
I ordered a 2014 RT-S with the adjustable handlebars but they were extra.

SpyderAnn01
09-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Handlebars are an upgrade, the Limited is only available in semi auto and who knows why they limit the colors to certain models only. I'm just happy that this year they have the RTS in white.

Bob Denman
09-26-2013, 10:56 AM
The Limiteds only come with the floppy-paddle shifter...
Regarding color...
That marketing! :thumbup:
The Basic bike gets just the basic colors...
That offers an additional incentive for you to move up to the more decked-oout models! :D

CyncySpyder
09-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Just a couple of dumb questions, as I've not been able to determine this from the limited info out on the 2014 RT.

First, do all of the RT models include the adjustable handlebars? NO, they are NOT standard on any model. Option at additional cost

Second, am I correct when I say that the RT Limited model is only available in an automatic trans? YES

Also, why do they only seem to offer certain colors for the different RT models? Isn't it the same tupperware, why can't you get an RTS in silver for instance? How BRP decided to differentiate between Trim Lines is by color & certain options

bullant12
09-26-2013, 11:03 AM
The Limiteds only come with the floppy-paddle shifter...

RT's and ST's have always had the SE5 (now 2014 RT SE6) on their Limitted Models.

Regarding color...
That marketing! :thumbup:
The Basic bike gets just the basic colors...
That offers an additional incentive for you to move up to the more decked-oout models! :D

Also, I think it has to do with identifing production years. But after talking with a few body painters... painting that tupperware is expensive, so that is why the color selection is limitted.
Just be thankful this is not Henry Ford's company: "Any colour... as long as it is black!"

jmcbow
09-26-2013, 11:07 AM
RT's and ST's have always had the SE5 (now 2014 RT SE6) on their Limitted Models.

Also, I think it has to do with identifing production years. But after talking with a few body painters... painting that tupperware is expensive, so that is why the color selection is limitted.
Just be thankful this is not Henry Ford's company: "Any colour... as long as it is black!"

So, does an RTS manual include the 6 speed trans then?

bullant12
09-26-2013, 11:10 AM
So, does an RTS manual include the 6 speed trans then?

Correct. It is now an SM6 instead of 5.

Bob Denman
09-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Yup! :thumbup:
They actually NEED that extra 6th gear now. The redline is at 7500 rpm...
The "old" bikes ran about 14 mph per thousand rpm. The 2014s with the six-spedd: 20 mph per thousand... (Approximately) :thumbup:

Netminder
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
As said above very, very smart marketing by BRP!

jmcbow
09-26-2013, 11:26 AM
Correct. It is now an SM6 now.

Sweet! Not sure I'm crazy about the new "Cognac" color though. I think I'd have to see it up close and personal first, although I do kind like the carbon fiber wheels with the black satin trim. Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the rear wheel assembly is also black.

SpyderAnn01
09-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Sweet! Not sure I'm crazy about the new "Cognac" color though. I think I'd have to see it up close and personal first, although I do kind like the carbon fiber wheels with the black satin trim. Hard to tell from the pics, but I think the rear wheel assembly is also black.

Yes, the rear wheel is also black. The 2013 RTS had the same trim - blacked out look. I am not a fan of chrome, specifically cleaning chrome so I love the RTS with the blacked out look. Plus I think it is pretty bad a$$ looking. :yes:

I grew up not far from you in Mundelein.

jmcbow
09-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Yes, the rear wheel is also black. The 2013 RTS had the same trim - blacked out look. I am not a fan of chrome, specifically cleaning chrome so I love the RTS with the blacked out look. Plus I think it is pretty bad a$$ looking. :yes:

I grew up not far from you in Mundelein.

A little longer riding season in Vegas I'd imagine.

ARtraveler
09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
RE: Color. They have used specific colors to delegate the top of the line machine since day one. Way back when the 2010's came out the RT-S was only available in Black. The next year, the color was relagated to the bottom of the line. Likewise on the tranny. Only SE5 on the top of the line model.

They have made enough color changes by this time, that I can barely keep track of what is what.

Some of the new colors seem to be love/hate at first glance--but, it will take looking at them in person to make a good evaluation. Photo ink and body paint are not necessarily the same.

PW2013STL
09-26-2013, 02:06 PM
A little longer riding season in Vegas I'd imagine.

Not lately, but hopfully soon for SpyderAnn:pray:

jmcbow
09-27-2013, 02:15 PM
RE: Color. They have used specific colors to delegate the top of the line machine since day one. Way back when the 2010's came out the RT-S was only available in Black. The next year, the color was relagated to the bottom of the line. Likewise on the tranny. Only SE5 on the top of the line model.

They have made enough color changes by this time, that I can barely keep track of what is what.

Some of the new colors seem to be love/hate at first glance--but, it will take looking at them in person to make a good evaluation. Photo ink and body paint are not necessarily the same.

Actually, I have a 2010 RTS in orbital blue.

Bob Denman
09-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Trying to keep track of their color selections amongst the models is a dizzying experience... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_1.gif

jmcbow
09-27-2013, 02:26 PM
I was just disappointed that you can't get the RTS in the platinum silver, which was a choice when I ordered the RTS in 2010. But yet the silver is offered in the base RT or the RT Limited. My guess is that they plan in advance to produce so many units and have pre-determined how many of each model and the colors.

ulflyer
09-27-2013, 02:38 PM
I was just disappointed that you can't get the RTS in the platinum silver, which was a choice when I ordered the RTS in 2010. But yet the silver is offered in the base RT or the RT Limited. My guess is that they plan in advance to produce so many units and have pre-determined how many of each model and the colors.

I thought the base RT is only in black and white?

OldCowboy
09-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I thought the base RT is only in black and white?

That is correct. http://www.spyder.brp.com/files/en-US/Images/Billboard/2014_Spyder.pdf

Yfactor
09-27-2013, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=bullant12;695558]RT's and ST's have always had the SE5 (now 2014 RT SE6) on their Limitted Models.

2010 RT S LE also was available with the SM5

exwinger
09-27-2013, 06:58 PM
But after talking with a few body painters... painting that tupperware is expensive................................Have a friend that had her Goldwing trike repainted....$ 3200.00.When I had my trike kit painted to match my bike it was only $600 but it was already primed. Would think it would be cheaper to paint the spyder panels due to less labor involved taking them off but the painter said it's not the parts removal that jacks the price up , it's the prep getting ready to repaint.

dancote
09-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Color's just a marketing thing.

What bursts your bubble? Features or colors?

Your favorite Spyder dealer can sell you any flavor of Spyder in the color of your choice simply by swapping panels. This isn't rocket science.

I was fortunate that my second choice of color was offered for my base RT. If not, I would have held out for Pearl White.

Bottom line. Don't let color choice be the determining factor in your purchase decision.

Regards,

Dan