PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

Bob Ledford
09-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Being in Florida most of my motorcycling days the term "winterizing" strikes my curiosity. As when I was old enough to ride in IL back around 1957 I rode all year round except during snow fall or ice storms. On the days when it was impossible to ride I switched to trucking to school.

So what do you do to winterize a Spyder beside cover it up in your garage or storage area?

2013.09.24:

Well I can see where living in Florida definitely has its advantages as far as storage. I thank each of you for enlightening me on what you that have to shelve your rides for the winter months have to go through every year. I might add the only thing Dad made do to our old 1945 HD 45 was bring the 6 volt battery in the house to keep from freezing it and busting the case.

jerpinoy
09-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Top off your fuel tank, this will prevent the condensation. Disconnect the battery post so you don't drain your battery. tires off the ground this will keepyours round, cover your:spyder2:to prevent dust accumulation.

EnjoyingTheRyde
09-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Top off your fuel tank, this will prevent the condensation. Disconnect the battery post so you don't drain your battery. tires off the ground this will keepyours round, cover your:spyder2:to prevent dust accumulation.

I would add, change the oil and filter, add fuel stabilizer, and I either hook up a battery tender or make the battery is in a warm place.

Chupaca
09-23-2013, 02:02 PM
where you are how long you will store it and where you will store it. Heated garage unheated or shed, barn etc. Going for the max time and worst conditions... Pull your battery store in a warm place maintain with tender. Fill tank and add stabilizer. Change oil and filter/s clean and protect. Cover and place repellent to keep rodents from lunching on your wiring and nesting..like I said it will depends how your seasons run. We here don't store our spyders...:dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Mine gets stored in my heated garage for almost six months--usually October - March. I top off the tank, add fuel stabilizer, and hook up the battery tenders.

Scotty recommends NOT starting up the :spyder2: during the sleep because it does not get warmed up enough to properly circulate all the oil, etc. in the machine. I go by what he says.

When its time to start em up, I just turn the key and they usually fire up the first time.

NancysToy
09-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I stabilize the fuel and top off the tank. I put it on a battery tender and pump up the tires. With full synthetic oils I do not change before winter storage, with dino oils I do. For long term storage I remove the spark plugs and spray fogging oil in the cylinders. BRP outlines their recommended procedures in the manual (even in Florida). Mine are a bit different, but have served me well for decades, with a great many cars and bikes.

P.S. I don't use mothballs or fill the exhaust pipe outlet with steel wool against the mice because I use rat bait, but rodent protection of some kind is a necessity.

rcturner
09-23-2013, 07:20 PM
I would be careful about covering your bike. Most covers will allow some condensation to accumulate inside of them. The results could be much worse to the bike than a layer of dust.

NancysToy
09-23-2013, 09:29 PM
I would be careful about covering your bike. Most covers will allow some condensation to accumulate inside of them. The results could be much worse to the bike than a layer of dust.
:agree: I never cover unless in a heated garage.

murphybrown
09-24-2013, 01:52 AM
StaBil..top off fuel...hook up battery tender....pat on frunk and walk by on way to drive truck ... have lots of mouse/rat poison in garage as the rodents are an issue in my area... Ms Spyder has always started after her long winter nap. OH NO she is not even thinking about winter YET...got a couple more months of ryding left...:thumbup:

redflasher
09-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Full tank of premium gas with Stabil mixed in well. Deltran battery tender connected. 2 exhaust pipes plugged with rubber stoppers. Half cover on with mothballs in several locations. Forget about it til spring. Attached garage keeps everything above freezing.

flaggerphil
09-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Fortunately, I've never lived anywhere I had to winterize a bike. Here in Florida, Hawaii, the Philippines, Louisiana in the old days...no problems. I never winterized in Seattle or St Louis, either...I rode through most of the winter unless there was snow on the ground.

I guess I've been kind of lucky.

:)

johnwinslow
11-04-2013, 05:23 PM
I usually do not contradict any opinions BUT! please do not use poisons for rodents use a snap trap or have a hart, the poisons will make house pets very sick and can cause tumors, if the mouse gets outside with a belly full of bait, a owl, or hawk or your pet will die a slow death if they ingest the rodent. remember the ingredients of the poison, some of it is to attract the rodent, do you want more rats or less rats? if you see signs of a mouse, spray the area with 1/2 water and Clorox solution they leave scent trails this will help keep them from returning. a piece of foam insulation is good for plugging the exhaust and I do agree with getting the tires off the floor:lecturef_smilie:

Deanna777
11-04-2013, 06:03 PM
I usually bring my :spyder2: to my Can-Am Dealer in around Oct. 1st. and they do : look unit over for future VSI, Stabilize Fuel, Change oil/ filter, Set tire pressures, Check Condition of the Battery and install battery tender. Then in the Spring: they Set Tire pressures, Preform VSI Test Battery and Wash, and do a Inspection. Deanna777

Bob Denman
11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
I usually do not contradict any opinions BUT! please do not use poisons for rodents use a snap trap or have a hart, the poisons will make house pets very sick and can cause tumors, if the mouse gets outside with a belly full of bait, a owl, or hawk or your pet will die a slow death if they ingest the rodent. remember the ingredients of the poison, some of it is to attract the rodent, do you want more rats or less rats? if you see signs of a mouse, spray the area with 1/2 water and Clorox solution they leave scent trails this will help keep them from returning. a piece of foam insulation is good for plugging the exhaust and I do agree with getting the tires off the floor:lecturef_smilie:

Potato flakes work pretty well... nojoke

They eat them; get thirsty, hit the water, those flakes start to swell... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_5_133.gif
It sounds horrible :shocked:; but it IS safe for other animals...

Bob Ledford
11-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Held off on replying to all the nice interesting tips. I have always wondered what the cold climate Spyder Ryder had to go through when it came time to willingly give up riding.

Interesting that everyone recommended "Sta-bil" as that is what I use in the hurricane generator all the time.

Thanks for all the good information and I am still happy that I can ride 12 months out of the year