PDA

View Full Version : Windshield vibrations question

Orange monster
09-22-2013, 09:36 PM
I noticed that with the taller windshield on my RSS that there appears to be more vibration in the upper pod and mirrors at hwy speeds. Anyone else notice this after putting a tall shield on their RSS? I'm going to put my stock shield back on tomorrow and make a few runs on the highway to see if the vibration is reduced. I don't feel shake in the handlebars as the bike is smooth unless the belt is vibrating, I can just see the mirrors and top of the shield vibrating. I tried to see if the upper pod was loose by physically moving it when stopped by if feels very solid, not like it was loose itself.

quickster47
09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
I think that when one installs a taller, read that as 'a larger area', windshield you will see more vibration because of the wind load on the larger area.

I noticed this on our ST-S when going from the OEM windshield to the BRP taller Sport Touring Windshield.

Carl

Orange monster
09-22-2013, 10:12 PM
That's what I figured but was just looking for confirmation from others that have noticed the same thing. Thanks for your feedback Carl!

Flanker
09-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Oh, yes. While I like my 24" Madstad; it brings new meaning to "shake, rattle, and roll". I think the Calsci's, like yours are solidly mounted to the cowling aren't they? Madstads use a mounting plate that bolts to the stock windshield location, then brackets mount to the plate, then the windshield mounts to the brackets with long rubber grommets with threaded inserts in them. The rubber grommets definitely allow things to "flex". And, not just from wind at speed, but going over all kinds of bumps and dips (with three wheels rolling in three separate tracks we Spyder riders find all the bumps!). Crossing RR tracks (or anything) at an angle is 'entertaining" to say the least. My Madstad is holding up OK so far; be interesting to see how things go as the miles accumulate.

Chupaca
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
we have an RS and changed to the msr 76224 76225 and have no vibrations. Know some have cut in a vent on the lower portion of the windscreen to release the pressure. Search the banks or DIY...:thumbup: