PDA

View Full Version : Headin' to the Smokies

OldDog
09-21-2013, 12:55 PM
We are headed to the Smokies Monday morning. We will be staying at the Tally Ho Inn in Townsend. Although I'm Spyderless for the moment it would be nice to meet up with some Spyderlovers in that area. Will any Spyderlovers be in that area next week? We like to spend time at Cades Cove.

OldDog
09-26-2013, 06:44 PM
I was wandering the aisles of the Walmart in Sevierville when I happened upon a gentleman sporting a Spyder logo T-shirt. I felt compelled to say hello.

Me: Excuse me,Sir,I saw your T-shirt. You obviously ride a Spyder.
Gentleman: Yes I have a 2010 RT. ( I believe I got that right)
Me: Are you familiar with Spyderlovers.com? My name is Paul Wooldridge, I go by the handle Olddog
Gentleman: Certainly, Here is my card. I'm Barry Smith and my wife Darlene. I'm familiar with you and your handle!
Me: Pleased to meet you.
Barry: I recently met Lamont and Spyderpops at Spyderquest (I think it was)
Me: What do you think about Bob Denman getting a new 2014 RT?
Barry:That will be awesome. (Or something similar)
Me: I hope to have an ST sometime in the not too distant future.

This was a very pleasant encounter. Very nice people! :thumbup:

On a side note, we saw 3 bears, some deer and wild turkeys at Cades Cove

daltonjl
09-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Just curious - what time of the day did you see the bears? We are headed to the area in a couple of weeks and wanted to go to Cades Cove hopefully to see a bear. We went last year but didn't see one. My wife is dying to see a bear in the wild.

OldDog
09-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Just curious - what time of the day did you see the bears? We are headed to the area in a couple of weeks and wanted to go to Cades Cove hopefully to see a bear. We went last year but didn't see one. My wife is dying to see a bear in the wild.

We have seen them at all times of the day. However, this week we had our best luck around 4-6 pm. We have seen 10 point bucks right out in the open, wild turkey, and a number of bears within touching distance. We stayed inside the car when they were that close. I'll see if I can find some more pictures of the bears. We had a bobcat cross the road right in front of us as we were leaving Cades Cove last year. It was in front of the campgrounds. I had never seen one in the wild before.

OldDog
09-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Here are some more shots of bears at Cades Cove. We took these last year. The dark one is hard to see but we are about ten feet away from a bear cub. ( not smart to be outside of the car. I know , I know.)

daltonjl
09-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures. We had gone early in the morning so we may try later in the day this time. We plan to be on our spyders so I hope we don't get as close to them as you did. With the way traffic builds up, I'm not sure I could get away if it decided it wanted to try out my ryde.

OldDog
09-27-2013, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the info and pictures. We had gone early in the morning so we may try later in the day this time. We plan to be on our spyders so I hope we don't get as close to them as you did. With the way traffic builds up, I'm not sure I could get away if it decided it wanted to try out my ryde.

We got behind two Stallions and a Goldwing Trike. Those Stallions look cool but I don't think I would like one as much as a Spyder. Also the Stallions have a steering wheel and are very expensive.