PDA

View Full Version : Spyder tie down system on DropTail ?

Vrooom
09-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Purchased Droptail 2 up Trailer, and want to transport my RT-S Spydie safely. Can anyone post detailed description of how they tie the unit down? Would rather not reinvent the wheel here, if you experienced owners know how to do it right. Pictures would be added bonus, as would exact equipment needed.

Thanks for any tips you can offer.:helpsmilie:

TexasSpyder
09-20-2013, 03:29 PM
It's in the owners manual. Shows to run straps thru the wheels to tie down.

J. D.

Vrooom
09-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Ah, yes, "When all else fails, read the instructions!". The '13 manual on my RTS does have some general instructions on where to attach tie downs to the spydie on pages 160-161. That does help, however, if I do a similar arrangement on the drop tail trailer, because of the loop locations, the tie downs will extend out opposite the back wheel, rather than behind it, a less effective angle of pull. I would like to use the back center floor tie down attachments on the trailer, but the rear spyder tire sits right on top of it. Has anyone figured out a way to utilize that point or did you find or create another place to tie to?

NancysToy
09-20-2013, 08:09 PM
In the back, if you cross tie the wheel you can extend out to the sides instead of tying straight back. Use a soft clotch like a microfiber towl to protect the wheel, then take the strap from the right side of the wheel around the back of the tire and tie on the left of the Spyder, and vice versa for the left side strap. It helps to use wheel chocks in front if you do this. I don't have a droptail, but I often tie laterally (just a little bit backward) rather than straight back. Another option is use of the SuperClamps (SpyderLovers home page), then tie straight down as they instruct.

Atonic
09-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Rear: there are two frame loops under the tail that are feet when you drop the tail. Hook onto those. I'd recommend using extension straps and replacing your strap hooks with quick links.

Front: use the hook points on the outer corner, through the rim, to the center 'handles' on the tongue. Use extension straps in the middle if your hooks won't go around the frame.

That's how I did it. Towed the used one 300 miles, got new one, trailered back.

Recommend you use 1.5" or 2" ratchet straps.

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/Atonic_C14/20130824_140902-1_zpse2960def.jpg
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae337/Atonic_C14/824ef69040077abb30103faec8c2a1a8_zps5ab1d0bf.jpg

Anakrid
09-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Easiest rig on the planet to tie down------------I placed a very strong double bolt D-ring both front and rear of the rear wheel. I use a high capacity ratcheting cargo strap run over the tire (3" wide) and that is that---------no movement at all --ever!

Atonic
09-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Easiest rig on the planet to tie down------------I placed a very strong double bolt D-ring both front and rear of the rear wheel. I use a high capacity ratcheting cargo strap run over the tire (3" wide) and that is that---------no movement at all --ever!

On a Drop-Tail trailer?

Vrooom
09-21-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I have all the straps and connections mentioned and Atonic's pictures shows me exactly where to place them. I even have the fluffy horse strap covers I see protecting the front wheel in the first pix. :2thumbs: Now, time to try it out and see if the Sorrento is up to the towing task.

Atonic
09-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Now, time to try it out and see if the Sorrento is up to the towing task.

The LX is only good for 1650#. That would be pushing the limit. Hopefully you have a V6 model, good for 3500#.

Sheepskin seatbelt wraps. She didn't want the wheels scuffed.

Spydman
09-21-2013, 03:53 PM
I used an axle strap with pads around each wheel. pulled the back wheel toward the front and the front wheels toward the back. put a full cover on the :spyder2: and hauled it to SPYDERFEST 2013 (650 miles each way). Worked great and never moved and no scratches from the cover. The droptail trailer pulls great just hard to back because it is so short. good luck with your tie downs. vince morris (SPYDMAN)

Vrooom
09-22-2013, 12:23 AM
Combined your solutions and did a tryout tow today with V6 Sorrento. Works great and Kia even managed to stay in Eco mode up hill climbs on interstate. Very pleased with this trailer so far. Thanks again for advice.