PDA

View Full Version : clutch

johnwinslow
09-20-2013, 08:30 AM
I noticed that when I first start the bike up it would creep as if I had the clutch not disengaged, also some trouble shifting, the problem was no fluid in the clutch reservoir, topped it off, shifts nicely and no creeping .

safecracker
09-20-2013, 11:40 AM
John I had the same problem last week. Added fluid and works great. I will be checking the fluid more often. I have 14,500 miles on mine. 2011RTs SM5.

fas2000
09-20-2013, 11:48 AM
o wow.. thanks for the advice.. that has happened to me since i got the bike two months ago. The creeping when i start the bike that is. I found it odd but thought it might be normal for this bike.

so is there a specific brand of clutch fluid? is it hard to open the reservoir? sorry for the layman questions. ill check the manual shortly also.

SpyderAnn01
09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
o wow.. thanks for the advice.. that has happened to me since i got the bike two months ago. The creeping when i start the bike that is. I found it odd but thought it might be normal for this bike.

so is there a specific brand of clutch fluid? is it hard to open the reservoir? sorry for the layman questions. ill check the manual shortly also.

Check the manual but I think it is DOT 4. Just be very careful and cover all of the painted surfaces before you open the reservoir and while you are pouring the fluid in as it will eat paint in a second.

Bob Denman
09-20-2013, 12:00 PM
:agree: "Dottie-4" is pretty mean stuff to painted surfaces! :yikes: nojoke

fas2000
09-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Check the manual but I think it is DOT 4. Just be very careful and cover all of the painted surfaces before you open the reservoir and while you are pouring the fluid in as it will eat paint in a second.

spyderann you are always so helpful, thanks alot :bowdown:.

per the manual that is DOT 4 Brake fluid?? is that correct? again sorry, but it sounds weird to put brake fluid into the clutch reservoir. also is it any brake i can pick up at a pep boys, or do i need to go to a motorcycle shop?

thanks

billybovine
09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
This is all well covered in your owners manual. Lots of good information in there give it a read. If your prefer to read it on a tablet, an electronic version it is available from BRP.com free of charge.

gypsy_100
09-20-2013, 05:03 PM
I noticed that when I first start the bike up it would creep as if I had the clutch not disengaged, also some trouble shifting, the problem was no fluid in the clutch reservoir, topped it off, shifts nicely and no creeping .

John I had the same problem last week. Added fluid and works great. I will be checking the fluid more often. I have 14,500 miles on mine. 2011RTs SM5.

Clutch fluid is not used up like engine oil. If your levels were that low, you are leaking fluid somewhere, probably the clutch slave cylinder. You may need the slave cylinder rebuilt. I'd get it to the dealer to be thoroughly checked out.

Note the correct level for the fluid in the master reservoir is only about halfway up. There's a ledge cast into the reservoir to indicate the full level and it's about halfway up the wall. The diaphragm takes up the top half of the reservoir.

The proper fluid is DOT 4 brake fluid.

billrob71
09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
When I got my bike the clutch had no fluid, I refilled it but it still needs to be bled to get the air out the lines.

NancysToy
09-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Clutch fluid is not used up like engine oil. If your levels were that low, you are leaking fluid somewhere, probably the clutch slave cylinder. You may need the slave cylinder rebuilt. I'd get it to the dealer to be thoroughly checked out.

Note the correct level for the fluid in the master reservoir is only about halfway up. There's a ledge cast into the reservoir to indicate the full level and it's about halfway up the wall. The diaphragm takes up the top half of the reservoir.

The proper fluid is DOT 4 brake fluid.

Good advice! I'll second the motion.

gypsy_100
09-21-2013, 08:19 AM
spyderann you are always so helpful, thanks alot :bowdown:.

per the manual that is DOT 4 Brake fluid?? is that correct? again sorry, but it sounds weird to put brake fluid into the clutch reservoir. also is it any brake i can pick up at a pep boys, or do i need to go to a motorcycle shop?
thanks

When I got my bike the clutch had no fluid, I refilled it but it still needs to be bled to get the air out the lines.

Any DOT 4 brake fluid will work fine. Do not use DOT 3, 5 or 5.1. Just DOT 4.

Normally once air is in the system, it must be bled. I'm not sure how the earlier posters got improved performance by just adding fluid. They must have been extremely lucky and added just in time so that the air bubbles causing the problem floated up and out but that would be a rare event. They may still have some air trapped in there that really should be bled.

DelawareJim
03-27-2014, 03:23 PM
I have had same problem, I put fluid in and a few hundred miles later it needed filling. There is no fluid spots on floor so I'm guessing it is leaking into the motor and causing my clutch to slip.
I will be checking to see if BRP has a rebuild kit. Or if someone else knows what exactly needs to be done, let us know. :pray: