PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RT Heat Issue - Also Exists With 2010, 2011 & 2012 RT?

stewartj239
09-19-2013, 08:18 PM
I already asked this question in a different thread, but wanted to start a new one to get more visibility on the topic.

I have a 2013 RT-S and personally have not experienced any of the heat related horror stories that I have read about - melting master cylinder, boiling gas, roasted seat, roasted right foot, fire, etc. However, I am trying to determine whether the issue is there, but hidden to me for my ride and whether I need to be concerned.

My question is this, what changed on the 2013 to cause the claimed heat problems that wasn't already there in the 2010, 2011 & 2012 RT models? Weren't the motors the same and the exhaust routed the same way? Shouldn't the previous year RTs be having the same issue?

As a precaution, is there anything I can change on mine, such as some kind of vented panels or something similar that is available to dissipate the heat?

SpyderAnn01
09-19-2013, 08:50 PM
I responded to you on the other posting but I'll say it again here. I did not have any issues with a hot right foot or excessive heat around the seat/glove box area on my 2013 and mine burned to the ground. There were some pretty significant changes to the RT for 2013 but I'll let one of our more technical members fill you in on those.

I just want to be sure that you understand that the possibility of your Spyder starting on fire is very real even if you haven't experienced any of the typical things that people have complained about. So please be sure to have the recall work completed.

SpyderAnn01
09-19-2013, 08:52 PM
I forgot about this part of your question as to were there problems with the other years and yes there were but they were mostly about heat on the right foot. And this could be corrected with the install of either Spyderpops heat shields or the ISCI fan can. Also, the removal of one of the belly pans helped a lot to reduce heat.

stewartj239
09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I responded to you on the other posting but I'll say it again here. I did not have any issues with a hot right foot or excessive heat around the seat/glove box area on my 2013 and mine burned to the ground. There were some pretty significant changes to the RT for 2013 but I'll let one of our more technical members fill you in on those.

I just want to be sure that you understand that the possibility of your Spyder starting on fire is very real even if you haven't experienced any of the typical things that people have complained about. So please be sure to have the recall work completed.

Thank you Ann. Yes, I had the recall work performed this past Monday. The dealer said that there were no signs of any heat related problems. By breaking my question out into this thread is to get a better feel for whether the prior year RTs are having the same issue and what can be done to make it better. I would rather be proactive and do something about it rather than do nothing.

stewartj239
09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I forgot about this part of your question as to were there problems with the other years and yes there were but they were mostly about heat on the right foot. And this could be corrected with the install of either Spyderpops heat shields or the ISCI fan can. Also, the removal of one of the belly pans helped a lot to reduce heat.

That's the type of info I'm looking for! I'll research the fan, but what about the belly pans? I think there are two. Could / should they both come off?

SpyderAnn01
09-19-2013, 09:11 PM
That's the type of info I'm looking for! I'll research the fan, but what about the belly pans? I think there are two. Could / should they both come off?

Well, that is a good question and I was never able to get a good answer. The changes to the suspension for 2013 changed the front end and the belly pans are different than they were on earlier models. I at first was going to remove one on mine but decided against it since there were wires that looked like they could get damaged if left exposed.

Bob Ledford
09-19-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a 2011 RTL SE-5 5975 miles on it

Truthfully I like your concept proactive not reactive. I have ridden it during 2 Daytona Bike Weeks and Biketoberfest weeks one hot winter followed by one cold winter and a scorching hot 2013 summer. If you have ever been to Daytona for a biker event you know what kind of traffic we have. My right leg gets hot in sneakers to almost uncomfortable from my knees to the soles if my feet. But so does the rest of me to the point of sweating on a 85 degree day while sitting or moving.

i have exercised the radiator fan well all year around. I have heard the gasoline bubbling in the gas tank and I have experience with gaseous fuel bogging the engine down on moving out during a red light cycle. But the Spyder has never gotten the temperature gage to the top yet and the fan does cycle off and on while sitting in traffic. Personally if the fan switch came on early and ran longer I think the problem just might go away.

i just solved the problem my riding bud was having with her right ankle getting hot to first degree burns. Simply put heat tape over the RF passenger board hieght adjustment upper slot. I think the engine compartment does not have sufficient air flow in or out of it to keep the heat level tolerable for the summer temperatures in the SE region of the USA.

i only ride between 32 and 86'degrees F. Because its to uncomfortable for me to ride in the heat of the day. That is why I have a Silverado parked in the driveway with a working AC unit.

My next experiment is to wrap the exhaust pipes with heat tape this fall when it's cooler in the garage.

Magdave
09-19-2013, 10:02 PM
BRP moved both the electric E-Brake and EVAP Canister on the 13. The canister is being wrapped during the recall because it sits next to an exhaust pipe. Bad placement IMHO. No other vehicle on the road places the EVAP canister near any exhaust it should have been placed in a much cooler spot and I suspect that is why some of us smell fuel vapors when we are done riding. What ever remaining heat from the exhaust continues to heat the canister after shut down. the movement of both of these may have restricted what little airflow that is available under the Tupperware.

Bob Denman
09-20-2013, 07:42 AM
I think that it may have been a combination of component moves due to the new frame and BRP's attempts to deal with perceived heat issues...
The 2010 to 2012 bikes s don't seem to have generated anywhere NEAR the same amount of complaints.

stewartj239
09-20-2013, 07:34 PM
This is all good information. After reading Bob's comment about his 2011, I spent some time tonight searching old threads and indeed found quite a few with people having the same issues with the prior year RTs. So it would seem to me that the RTs have always had heat issues, but they are more prevalent on the 2013 due to the changes as outlined by Magdave.

So with the recall work done on my 2013, I've got to assume that the immediate fire risk has been eliminated by the new heat shield. Now, I plan to look for other updates to help with the cooling. I did find a thread where the belly pans were removed with out issue. I've also seen where people are wrapping the exhaust. I've also heard that removing the cat will reduce the heat quite a bit too .....

Pennyrick
09-20-2013, 07:44 PM
This is all good information. After reading Bob's comment about his 2011, I spent some time tonight searching old threads and indeed found quite a few with people having the same issues with the prior year RTs. So it would seem to me that the RTs have always had heat issues, but they are more prevalent on the 2013 due to the changes as outlined by Magdave.

So with the recall work done on my 2013, I've got to assume that the immediate fire risk has been eliminated by the new heat shield. Now, I plan to look for other updates to help with the cooling. I did find a thread where the belly pans were removed with out issue. I've also seen where people are wrapping the exhaust. I've also heard that removing the cat will reduce the heat quite a bit too .....

Stewart:

You will find a lot of good ideas for controlling heat when you go back through the posts. It is more difficult to remove or modify (drill escape holes) in the pans on the '13 but some folks have done this. Just bear in mind that the machine you are sitting astride generates heat.... a lot of it!

Harleys, Victorys, Triumphs and Honda do too but they do not have the entire powerplant wrapped in tupperware like the Spyder is. Some of that heat that we feel is normal given the way the Spyder is designed.

stewartj239
09-21-2013, 06:18 AM
I came across a couple more threads talking about engine temperature. At first, you would think the heat is coming from the engine running too hot, but it is a liquid cooled engine. I lost sight of that. It sounds like the focus needs to be with moving air out of the enclosure. I'm going to check mine out today and look for some new ideas. I have been finding some good ones on the forum as well.

rc51ny
09-21-2013, 06:26 AM
Well, I have a 2012--not 2013. However, I removed both bottom plastic panels to help reduce the heat (also makes oil changes easier). When I put on the forward cruising pegs, I was getting a hot right foot--so I also put on the Sypderpops block off plate. Now--i rarely have any heat issues what so ever. Not sure if that will help a 2013, but worked like magic on my 2012--a very inexpensive remedy!

stewartj239
09-21-2013, 07:32 AM
So I've spent the last few hours now finding some really good tips. From what I've seen, it looks like the best modification for removing heat from the Tupperware is to do the cat removal, followed up by the deflectors. Is it really that easy of a fix? I have no problem dropping the money if it is truly that simple. I have read nothing but great reviews with claims that the scorching heat that boils the gas and roasts the rider / passenger is all but eliminated with these mods. Any thoughts?

MouthPiece
09-21-2013, 08:52 AM
I will speak ONLY to the right foot issue. I think it's because most of the 2013's bought are either the RT-S or Limited (no empirical evidence to support this statement). Because those two models of "13's" have floorboards which allows for a foot placement directly behind the "lower black hole of heat", the rider experiences this heat issue more than a rider with foot pegs that are standard with the 2010's through 2012's.

I still haven't tried any of the suggested fixes for this issue save changing the coolant/distilled water ratio. I do believe there are other options already suggested that I'm going to have to try. I have noted a minimal decrease in the riding temp of my spyder since I performed the above coolant ratio.

As I said earlier, my post is directed solely to the right foot issue and nothing else.

Hope this helps.

Chris

stewartj239
09-21-2013, 10:08 AM
I will speak ONLY to the right foot issue. I think it's because most of the 2013's bought are either the RT-S or Limited (no empirical evidence to support this statement). Because those two models of "13's" have floorboards which allows for a foot placement directly behind the "lower black hole of heat", the rider experiences this heat issue more than a rider with foot pegs that are standard with the 2010's through 2012's.

You now what? I think you're on to something. I have always said that I don't have the issue with my right foot getting baked and could not understand why so many people claimed that their's were. Well, I have a 2013 RT-S, but it is an SM5, so I do not have floorboards, I have the pegs! My foot is nowhere near the fan. Awesome observation! Thank you!

Pennyrick
09-21-2013, 12:54 PM
You now what? I think you're on to something. I have always said that I don't have the issue with my right foot getting baked and could not understand why so many people claimed that their's were. Well, I have a 2013 RT-S, but it is an SM5, so I do not have floorboards, I have the pegs! My foot is nowhere near the fan. Awesome observation! Thank you!

I might argue that point. I guess it depends on the floorboards. Mine is a '12, not a '13 but note the way the board flips up on the end and fully directs the bottom outlet to the ground. The combination of this plus the blocking plate on the upper outlet (plus the removal of the pans) keeps my right leg and foot from any degree of heat.

Bob Ledford
09-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Personally if there was more air flow under the skin it would have to help with every thing except setting a land speed record. I would like to find an engineering drawing on the under skin airflow to study.

OldCowboy
09-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Well, that is a good question and I was never able to get a good answer. The changes to the suspension for 2013 changed the front end and the belly pans are different than they were on earlier models. I at first was going to remove one on mine but decided against it since there were wires that looked like they could get damaged if left exposed.

Ann is correct. The critical component which is protected by the right-hand belly pan is an electrical connector which would be exposed to the elements. However, it is at the front end of the area covered by the right-hand belly pan, so I removed the right-hand belly pan and fabricated a shield out of aluminum sheet that covers the connector and is held in place with industrial strength velcro and zip ties.

The reason I went to all this trouble is because I installed Spyderpops upper block-off plate to keep hot air off my foot when I used my Lamonster highway pegs. That meant I had to cut a hole in the right-hand radiator molding to provide adequate ventilation for the radiator. Unfortunately, this increased the heat under the tupperware. I started getting really strong gasoline smells when I shut off the engine. By removing the right-hand belly pan I got more ambient air under the right side of the tupperware and no longer have the gas smell. When I do the 4600 mile service, I'll probably remove the left-hand belly pan too.

papagolf
09-22-2013, 05:30 PM
OK, the idea has been floated that maybe the stock floorboards on the 2013 could be amplifying the right foot heat problem. Could I replace the floorboards with pegs on a 2013 RT-L?

stewartj239
09-22-2013, 06:02 PM
OK, the idea has been floated that maybe the stock floorboards on the 2013 could be amplifying the right foot heat problem. Could I replace the floorboards with pegs on a 2013 RT-L?

I would think that you could because I highly doubt the chassis is different based on pegs vs. floorboards. On my 2013, I have the pegs and your foot would be nowhere near the radiator vent. Now I know why I don't have the problem. If you want, I can take a photo to show you where it mounts.

NancysToy
09-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I think there is some confusion of a heat issue vs. a fire issue.

The BRP recall was/is to address the fire issue.
The heat issue is something entirely different.

There are also multiple types of heat issues. Confusion reigns supreme.

stewartj239
09-22-2013, 07:18 PM
I think there is some confusion of a heat issue vs. a fire issue.

The BRP recall was/is to address the fire issue.
The heat issue is something entirely different.

Agreed. From what I understand, some components got moved around inside the 2013 due to the new chassis which caused them to be too close to the header - which is the cause of the fire issue on the 2013. As far as the heat goes, from my research, it affects the 2010-2013 RT. I think it is confusing because most of the remarks about heat issues are directed at the 2013.

Zenagirl
09-22-2013, 07:33 PM
I already asked this question in a different thread, but wanted to start a new one to get more visibility on the topic.

I have a 2013 RT-S and personally have not experienced any of the heat related horror stories that I have read about - melting master cylinder, boiling gas, roasted seat, roasted right foot, fire, etc. However, I am trying to determine whether the issue is there, but hidden to me for my ride and whether I need to be concerned.

My question is this, what changed on the 2013 to cause the claimed heat problems that wasn't already there in the 2010, 2011 & 2012 RT models? Weren't the motors the same and the exhaust routed the same way? Shouldn't the previous year RTs be having the same issue?

As a precaution, is there anything I can change on mine, such as some kind of vented panels or something similar that is available to dissipate the heat?

I have been having heat issues on the left side panel of my ST-L, have learned to keep my thigh away from the panel to prevent blisters. My right foot? When it gets hot I simple move it over. However, I decided to take my Spyder in last Thursday to have the recall done prior to going on a long ride this weekend. (My original recall service date was the next Wednesday.) I fully expected to simply have the new cap replaced, and the heat shields installed per the recall and then be on my way. Long story short. My spyder had the melt down without my even being aware of it. Instead of just having the cap replaced, I need the other parts that were melted replaced as well. I only had 3400 miles on the bike and had planned to put a few hundred more on it this weekend. I was told that it was a good thing I took it in when I did because I was really lucky that I didn't have a fire. Had I not taken it in, I might have. If you haven't taken your spyder in for the recall issue, I would suggest that you do, even though you appear not to be having any heat issues. Just my .02 ;) Sorry, just noticed that you said you DID have the recall work done. good job.

stewartj239
09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
I have been having heat issues on the left side panel of my ST-L, have learned to keep my thigh away from the panel to prevent blisters. My right foot? When it gets hot I simple move it over. However, I decided to take my Spyder in last Thursday to have the recall done prior to going on a long ride this weekend. (My original recall service date was the next Wednesday.) I fully expected to simply have the new cap replaced, and the heat shields installed per the recall and then be on my way. Long story short. My spyder had the melt down without my even being aware of it. Instead of just having the cap replaced, I need the other parts that were melted replaced as well. I only had 3400 miles on the bike and had planned to put a few hundred more on it this weekend. I was told that it was a good thing I took it in when I did because I was really lucky that I didn't have a fire. Had I not taken it in, I might have. If you haven't taken your spyder in for the recall issue, I would suggest that you do, even though you appear not to be having any heat issues. Just my .02 ;) Sorry, just noticed that you said you DID have the recall work done. good job.

Sorry to hear that you've got other issues related to the fire recall. I know others have been disappointed because they've had the same problem and the time to get replacement parts has been lengthy. Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon.

Yes, I was lucky. I had the recall work done just this past week and everything looked great. I was just over 3K miles on the bike. Again, it is weird how some bikes have additional damage and others don't.

papagolf
09-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I would think that you could because I highly doubt the chassis is different based on pegs vs. floorboards. On my 2013, I have the pegs and your foot would be nowhere near the radiator vent. Now I know why I don't have the problem. If you want, I can take a photo to show you where it mounts.

If you could post a picture, that would be great. I would like to see where the foot winds up in relationship to the heat vent(s) and the brake pedal.

StanProff
09-22-2013, 08:41 PM
When you straddle across a 1000cc engine (soon to be 1330) with header pipes and radiators and oil coolers all wrapped in a sleek skin of tupperware the heat issue is pretty had to control unless they:
Hang the engine in an open frame, make it air cooled, lose one of the front wheels and put a HD badge on it and then there will still be a heat issue but for some reason nobody would care.

I rode one of my two wheelers today with the outside temps in the mid 70's and guess what, I had heat coming back on both legs and thighs. It's a Honda Magna, water cooled. The radiator heat has to go somewhere no matter what you ride. Anyway, on my 2010 RT S I have never been uncomforable with the heat. I expect some heat as, like I said, it has to go somewhere. Of course I have the normal right side radiator heat, The reason it is hotter, than what would be expected, is that all of the air off of the radiator is "funneled down" to the two holes on the right side. I made the mods of removing the lower panels and installing a block off plate on the upper hole, I am no longer bothered by the heat at all. Again, this is not the fire/heat issue on the 13's. that is totally different than the normal engine/radiator heat.

crazyspyder
09-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I have the 2012 Rt se5 and have always had way too much heat coming from the right side. SO, this weekend I dedicated myself to remedy this issue . .. I pulled all the panels off and treated my exhaust pipes and cat-bypass aswell with HD high temp silicone AND used titanium heat wrapped , what I could get to .drove it all day in the heat to cure my pipes- a must! 50 bucks well spent..kool beans.:yes:

stewartj239
09-23-2013, 07:31 PM
If you could post a picture, that would be great. I would like to see where the foot winds up in relationship to the heat vent(s) and the brake pedal.

Here is a right side photo of my bike. As you can see, the peg and foot brake is nowhere near the radiator vent. Let me know if you would like some other shots.

NancysToy
09-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Here is a right side photo of my bike. As you can see, the peg and foot brake is nowhere near the radiator vent. Let me know if you would like some other shots.

While it isn't as close as with footboards or highway pegs, the radiator discharge does flow down the side of the Spyder and affect the right foot and lower leg with OEM pegs...especially on the freeway or with a side wind from the right. The RT is better than the Rs in this regard, however, since the factory ducting dumps the air out wider than on the sport model and there are not the slots in the body to leak air onto your thigh and knee.

Sandysandals
09-26-2013, 09:37 AM
My brother in law heated and formed a small sheet of Lexan for my right foot...and it worked like a charm....got a black sheepskin to cover the seat and glove box and my heat problems are solved. The heat shield fits with no screws....so far it has stayed on. No worries. 7666876669