PDA

View Full Version : Why is it called a Spyder?

Kingers
09-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi guys,

read spyderlovers everyday without fail!! Well almost, great site and almost as many members as ukspyderweb.com:yes:

this may be a dumb question and I did search for answers before posting and after reading through 20 pages and not finding the answer I gave up:banghead:

WHY IS THE SPYDER CALLED A SPYDER?:dontknow:

cuznjohn
09-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Hi guys,

read spyderlovers everyday without fail!! Well almost, great site and almost as many members as ukspyderweb.com:yes:

this may be a dumb question and I did search for answers before posting and after reading through 20 pages and not finding the answer I gave up:banghead:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?42806-Meaning-of-Spyder

Bob Denman
09-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Because if they called them, "Spaghetti Sauce"; folks would have been confused... :shocked:

NancysToy
09-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Because it is not called a Grasshopper.

jerpinoy
09-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Because it has 8 legs and they dubbed it to a stability control:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack :

spydrluvr
09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
This is the answer I got from Lamont: They were never meant to be thought of as a "spider", that just happened because of the name. The "Spyder" name is used by Porsche, Toyota and Mitsubishi for their "Roadsters". BRP refers to the Spyder as a Roadster first.:thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
09-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Here is the post from the earlier thread that has the best explanation. This was posted by Jerbear. The Price is Right had a Ferrari Spyder today as a prize with a price tag of $287,000

Exactly what is a Spyder?

As with other automotive terms, the term
derives from horse-drawn carriages. A “spider”was a lighter version of a phaeton, having narrower,spindly wheels and two-seat accommodation.The name implied an extremely rudimentarytop mechanism originating from a small two-seathorse-cart with a folding sunshade made of fourbows; with its black cloth top and exposed sidesfor air circulation it resembledan eight-legged spider.This termwas subsequently applied toautomobiles. Alternatively, anative Italian who has had noEnglish influence in the pronunciationwould pronounce “spyder”or “spider” as speeder.Thusa car labeled by an Italian carmanufacturer as “Spyder” or“Spider” is intended to be simplya “speeder” or a sports car. [1]
If a Spyder was intendedto be a smaller, sportier versionof a car, then as appliedto three-wheeled vehicles itmust certainly indicate asmaller and sportier versionof a trike—but that’s notexactly the whole story. BRPclaims the Spyder is a blend ofsports car and motorcycleand a vehicle that makes one an “instantexpert.” While that may be overstating the
case, our test ride proved their point.

http://archives.wingworldmag.com/aug...ug2007-Web.pdf (http://archives.wingworldmag.com/august2007/WingWorld-Aug2007-Web.pdf)

Chupaca
09-19-2013, 09:34 PM
it's not for it's looks for to me it looks like a lobster especially the green (raw) and red (cooked) ones..!! It is interesting seeing as so many vehicles have the same name...:thumbup:

flaggerphil
09-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Because "three-wheeled bug-eyed motorized vehicle" was too cumbersome.

MikeinGA
09-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Hi guys,

The Y factor is due to where the rubber hits the road. It makes a Y configuration with two wheels in the front and one wheel in the back. I read this on the BRP web site a few years ago.

Mike

OldCowboy
09-19-2013, 11:54 PM

Because they didn't think Cockroach would sell. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: :shemademe_smilie:

Bob Denman
09-20-2013, 06:45 AM
Here is the post from the earlier thread that has the best explanation. This was posted by Jerbear. The Price is Right had a Ferrari Spyder today as a prize with a price tag of $287,000

Exactly what is a Spyder?

As with other automotive terms, the term
derives from horse-drawn carriages. A “spider”was a lighter version of a phaeton, having narrower,spindly wheels and two-seat accommodation.The name implied an extremely rudimentarytop mechanism originating from a small two-seathorse-cart with a folding sunshade made of fourbows; with its black cloth top and exposed sidesfor air circulation it resembledan eight-legged spider.This termwas subsequently applied toautomobiles. Alternatively, anative Italian who has had noEnglish influence in the pronunciationwould pronounce “spyder”or “spider” as speeder.Thusa car labeled by an Italian carmanufacturer as “Spyder” or“Spider” is intended to be simplya “speeder” or a sports car. [1]
If a Spyder was intendedto be a smaller, sportier versionof a car, then as appliedto three-wheeled vehicles itmust certainly indicate asmaller and sportier versionof a trike—but that’s notexactly the whole story. BRPclaims the Spyder is a blend ofsports car and motorcycleand a vehicle that makes one an “instantexpert.” While that may be overstating the
case, our test ride proved their point.

http://archives.wingworldmag.com/aug...ug2007-Web.pdf (http://archives.wingworldmag.com/august2007/WingWorld-Aug2007-Web.pdf)
Oh sure; look who's getting all serious now... :roflblack: :thumbup: :clap:

donec
09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
I suspect Lamonster is right on target about how it got to be called a spyder, but to me it looks like a scorpion.

Kingers
09-20-2013, 11:57 AM
This is the answer I got from Lamont: They were never meant to be thought of as a "spider", that just happened because of the name. The "Spyder" name is used by Porsche, Toyota and Mitsubishi for their "Roadsters". BRP refers to the Spyder as a Roadster first.:thumbup:

Like all the answers but this makes most sense:clap:Prior to Can am, the only other spyder vehicle I was aware of was the Alfa Romeo Spider.

Many thanks,

Kingers.

People think I'm silly cos I got no sense:duh:

missouriboy
09-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Like all the answers but this makes most sense:clap:Prior to Can am, the only other spyder vehicle I was aware of was the Alfa Romeo Spider.

Many thanks,

Kingers.

People think I'm silly cos I got no sense:duh:Hmmmm, wasn't the high-performance version of the Chevrolet Corvair called a Spyder? (Circa 1965)

NancysToy
09-21-2013, 07:44 AM
Hmmmm, wasn't the high-performance version of the Chevrolet Corvair called a Spyder? (Circa 1965)

Yes. There have been others, too.

hogrider46
09-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I think it looks more like a scorpion, myself. It sure surprises the Harley riders I ride with, it's a little stinger.

OJ UK
09-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Hmmmm, wasn't the high-performance version of the Chevrolet Corvair called a Spyder? (Circa 1965)

Yeah, but they weren't seen in the UK where Kingers hales from.
Many different vehicle makers have used the name 'Spider' or 'Spyder' there's Chevrolet, Porche, Ferrari, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Lamborghini.

Magdave
09-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Shoulda been Scorpion I like that more dangerous sounding. :yikes:

draboo
09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Because "Tri-Glide" was taken!:joke: