PDA

View Full Version : Help from All 2013 RT S Spyder Owners

Harpo
09-19-2013, 10:22 AM
I have posted about my Spyder pulling to the right. The alignment was off with wheels turned to the right. It still has a pretty fast drift or pull to the right after alignment. The dealer is saying that is because of the slope of the road. I have tried tire pressures 12 to 16 psi with no difference in the pull. My question is has anyone tried to see when on cruise control if your bike will go to the right when going down the highway? Within 5 to 6 seconds I am changing lanes. If you have had this problem was it corrected and how.

Cruzr Joe
09-19-2013, 10:27 AM
My first thought would be that you should get one of the new Laser Alingments and see if the problem goes away. be sure both tires have the same amount of air pressure. I don't buy into the fact of the road sloping, that sounds like a cop out to me.

Cruzr Joe

Harpo
09-19-2013, 10:35 AM
My first thought would be that you should get one of the new Laser Alingments and see if the problem goes away. be sure both tires have the same amount of air pressure. I don't buy into the fact of the road sloping, that sounds like a cop out to me.

Cruzr Joe
It was done with laser alignment and was out to the right quite a bit. Both Wheels.

SpyderAnn01
09-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Originally my 2013 RT was all over the road but after much complaining I was able to get them to replace the shocks and the problem went away. I was able to ride with no hands and it tracked straight down the lane.

There was a service bulletin, I believe, about the shocks so you should make sure that your dealer has checked that out. Good luck

finless
09-19-2013, 10:39 AM
On my 2011 RTS if I am on the right side of the road hump it pulls slightly to the left. If I am on the left side of the hump it pulls right.
Seems to always wants to climb the hump. The pull is very slight but if I let go of the handler bars that's when you notice it a lot.
On a totally flat road (that's hard to find) it almost stays where you out it.

I think this is normal?

Bob

Cruzr Joe
09-19-2013, 10:43 AM
It was done with laser alignment and was out to the right quite a bit. Both Wheels.

I would have the dealer look hard at this because it appears that you have done everything that you can to correct it, may be time to put in a request for BRP to look at it.

Cruzr Joe

jthornton
09-19-2013, 10:45 AM
My 2012 RT-S pulled to the left from day one. The first time I brought it in the tech said my air pressure was not even in the front tires. The next time I brought it in I had build a dual fill to get both tires to the exact same pressure (18 psig) and the tech put it on BUDS and had to reset the steering sensor. As others have said on a crowned road it will take a tiny amount of pressure to keep it straight. On a flat road I can take my hands off for 30 seconds or more.

JT

Bob Denman
09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
I just have never made a habit of trying to ride down the road with botth hands off of the bars... :thumbup:
Minor corrections due to the road irregularites are always going to have to happen... :shocked:

Harpo
09-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Of course the ball joints were replaced before I bought it, The Steering column is all is spec, The Stabilizer bar has been replaced, it has new shocks on it and laser alignment has been done.

cbell1
09-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Call BRP at 888-272-9222. Tell them your problems and get a case number or reference number for the file they will open on your bike. They will tell you to go back to your dealer and have them call tech support. My bike pulled to the right and I had two dealers tell me it was the roads. Both dealers aligned my bike and it still pulled to the right. After I called BRP and took my bike back to my dealer, things got a lot better. Good luck!

MouthPiece
09-19-2013, 11:41 AM
AS A GENERAL RULE, MINE RUNS STRAIGHT. HOWEVER, THERE ARE TIMES IN WHICH IT HAS A SLIGHT DRIFT. I WOULDN'T SAY IT PULLS.

Chris. (EDIT) AND IT DRIFTS TO THE RIGHT.

cuznjohn
09-19-2013, 11:49 AM
when i first got my bike it pulled all over the road. i than changed the shocks to elkas and that helped and than the ball joints were done and the bike runs down the road as straight as a arrow

Harpo
09-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Call BRP at 888-272-9222. Tell them your problems and get a case number or reference number for the file they will open on your bike. They will tell you to go back to your dealer and have them call tech support. My bike pulled to the right and I had two dealers tell me it was the roads. Both dealers aligned my bike and it still pulled to the right. After I called BRP and took my bike back to my dealer, things got a lot better. Good luck!
I do have a case file and BRP is aware of all the problems.

napper39
09-19-2013, 12:42 PM
it sounds like you hav done everthing but the shocks ive read many posts thet the 13 bikes had a lot come out with bad shocks have the dealer put on new shocks if thats not it brp should figer it out.:chat:

jthornton
09-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I just have never made a habit of trying to ride down the road with botth hands off of the bars... :thumbup:
Minor correctuions due to the road irregularites are always going to have to happen... :shocked:

Yea, I normally have at least one hand on the bars somewhere when cruising.

JT

NancysToy
09-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Did you have the steering sensors recalibrated after the laser alignment? It is a necessity, and miscalibrated sensors van make the Spyder pull to one side. If that is OK, I'd be looking for a dragging front brake. I am at a bit of a loss, though. Are you saying the pulling only occurs in cruise? If that is so, something odd is associated with that system unless you are removing your hands from the bars or doing something else different when in cruise. BTW, most vehicles will drift to one side on a crowned or slanted road.

Harpo
09-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Did you have the steering sensors recalibrated after the laser alignment? It is a necessity, and miscalibrated sensors van make the Spyder pull to one side. If that is OK, I'd be looking for a dragging front brake. I am at a bit of a loss, though. Are you saying the pulling only occurs in cruise? If that is so, something odd is associated with that system unless you are removing your hands from the bars or doing something else different when in cruise. BTW, most vehicles will drift to one side on a crowned or slanted road.
I don't know that it only occurs when in cruise control but that is the only time I let go to grab water bottle and open to drink. I know they checked the steering sensors before alignment but not sure if the did after. I know they said both wheels were angled to right before the alignment.

WhiteFang
09-20-2013, 12:20 AM
try rotating front tires to see if it isnt a tire issue

jimb57
09-20-2013, 06:35 AM
My 2013 drifted all over the place when new, got rons swaybar, and had dealer replace front shocks much better since the new shocks were installed:yes:

NancysToy
09-20-2013, 07:17 AM
I don't know that it only occurs when in cruise control but that is the only time I let go to grab water bottle and open to drink. I know they checked the steering sensors before alignment but not sure if the did after. I know they said both wheels were angled to right before the alignment.
The sensors have to be calibrated after alignment. Checking beforehand is of no value. I know of no 3-4 wheeled vehicle that will not follow the road when you remove your hands from the steering. Your hands belong on the bars. If you want to remove them, please pull over. What you are doing is dangerous. The Spyder does not have the gyroscopic effect directional ability that a 2-wheeler has, so it will drift without rider steering control/pressure, and cannot be steered by leaning.

Bob Denman
09-20-2013, 07:38 AM
:agree: cruise control does NOT mean that it's okay to take a nap on the pillion pad or start texting your girfriend... :joke::joke::joke:

Dan McNally
09-20-2013, 07:48 AM
:agree: cruise control does NOT mean that it's okay to take a nap on the pillion pad or start texting your girfriend... :joke::joke::joke:

DOH! Now, you tell me! :joke:

Bob Denman
09-20-2013, 08:01 AM
DOH! Now, you tell me! :joke:
:shocked: You didn't get the memo?? :shocked: :roflblack:

Dan McNally
09-20-2013, 10:40 AM
:shocked: You didn't get the memo?? :shocked: :roflblack:

I'm expected to read them? Geez!:roflblack:

Questions
12-02-2013, 02:02 PM
If you are in Florida you have to realize our roads are crowned ( meaning the hump in the middle which will also send you one way or the other , try increasing tire pressure to 20 I did and it made a big difference mine still drifts a little but most of it is our roads. I'm still having it aligned very soon but am a lot happier than when I bought it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Oldmanzues
12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
The last post said, 20PSI in front. I run 19PSI in my 2010 RT and obtain good results. You mention a lot lower. I am not sure what PSI the 13 run best at.
Good Luck. At least one hand on the handlebars is good safety procedure
Oldmanzues

Chupaca
12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
has all the work been done by the same dealer..?? The one that said it's all in the road. ?? Lived in Fla in three different occasions covering west cental and east and not all roads are like that. Just a thought might try another dealer...:dontknow: