PDA

View Full Version : vss fault check dps limp home mode

hecoon
09-19-2013, 08:37 AM
a little history about a Month ago in dayTona the codes came on limped home 80 miles...took it to the dealer and they said that there were no codes in the computer and couldn't find any real for the problem.....took it home and last thurs was going on a trip up to mt airy nc. just before the meeting spot the same codes came up and I limp to the meeting place. as I left to go home when I turned the bike on the codes were gone and it started and ran fine.... 80 miles up the road at our first gas/rest stop the codes came on again. turned off the bike and it rest again.... ran another 1700 mjles and no problems ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT COULD BE CAUSE THIS/ THANJS

NancysToy
09-19-2013, 05:41 PM
First, those are not codes...just warnings. Active fault codes can be displayed using a special control sequence, but if your dealer found no no previous codes, it would probably be futile. I'd check your battery terminals (inside the bodywork, left side) for cleanliness and tightness, and check the rear frame ground (negative jump start terminal under the seat) for tightness, and possibly the front frame ground (near the left front suspension) also. If those are OK have the battery tested. This sounds a great deal like low battery voltage. It could also be a matter of riding the brake pedal without applying brake pressure, but that usually leaves a history of some fault codes. If all this proves normal, have the dealer check the steering sensor calibration, and have them look to see if the DPS recall was completed. A bad DPS can cause these warnings and will leave no fault codes, but the problem is more often a voltage issue, as the DPS is the biggest electrical draw outside the starter. When the battery voltage goes low (or the DPS has problems) the DPS can just quit, triggering DPS and VSS warnings as the systems are related.

DragonLorD
09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
First, those are not codes...just warnings. Active fault codes can be displayed using a special control sequence, but if your dealer found no no previous codes, it would probably be futile. I'd check your battery terminals (inside the bodywork, left side) for cleanliness and tightness, and check the rear frame ground (negative jump start terminal under the seat) for tightness, and possibly the front frame ground (near the left front suspension) also. If those are OK have the battery tested. This sounds a great deal like low battery voltage. It could also be a matter of riding the brake pedal without applying brake pressure, but that usually leaves a history of some fault codes. If all this proves normal, have the dealer check the steering sensor calibration, and have them look to see if the DPS recall was completed. A bad DPS can cause these warnings and will leave no fault codes, but the problem is more often a voltage issue, as the DPS is the biggest electrical draw outside the starter. When the battery voltage goes low (or the DPS has problems) the DPS can just quit, triggering DPS and VSS warnings as the systems are related.

:agree:
amen

hecoon
09-19-2013, 08:36 PM
First, those are not codes...just warnings. Active fault codes can be displayed using a special control sequence, but if your dealer found no no previous codes, it would probably be futile. I'd check your battery terminals (inside the bodywork, left side) for cleanliness and tightness, and check the rear frame ground (negative jump start terminal under the seat) for tightness, and possibly the front frame ground (near the left front suspension) also. If those are OK have the battery tested. This sounds a great deal like low battery voltage. It could also be a matter of riding the brake pedal without applying brake pressure, but that usually leaves a history of some fault codes. If all this proves normal, have the dealer check the steering sensor calibration, and have them look to see if the DPS recall was completed. A bad DPS can cause these warnings and will leave no fault codes, but the problem is more often a voltage issue, as the DPS is the biggest electrical draw outside the starter. When the battery voltage goes low (or the DPS has problems) the DPS can just quit, triggering DPS and VSS warnings as the systems are related.thank you for the info i'll get my main maan to check out the grounds