PDA

View Full Version : Spyder and Gravel road

kepople
09-18-2013, 09:22 AM
well, I know what the manual says, however I am wanting to ryde the spyder to an event and the parking lot road is white limestone rocks/gravel. If I go REALLY slow, can I drive on it?

I know the spyder will be DIRTY after...

kirby

Pirate looks at --
09-18-2013, 09:38 AM
well, I know what the manual says, however I am wanting to ryde the spyder to an event and the parking lot road is white limestone rocks/gravel. If I go REALLY slow, can I drive on it?

kirby
Buy the new 2014 RT Limited, and engage the hover mechanism and fly over the gravel!:roflblack:

finless
09-18-2013, 09:41 AM
I have had to do it myself for about 1/2 mile.

The reason they say not to go on dirt roads is getting stones caught in the belt. Yes go very slow! After riding on the gravel road before taking off on the highway, I just checked the belt and pulleys for stones caught in it. This included rolling the spyder a little to make sure I inspected the entire belt and pulleys.

I had no issues.

Bob

daveinva
09-18-2013, 10:04 AM
I ride on gravel roads frequently enough. Just go slow, no hooning, and be mindful of your belt the next time you do your bike inspection.

If you're really nervous about it, or plan on doing a lot of gravel-riding, site sponsor Spyderpops sells a belt guard that can somewhat help protect the belt from rocks and debris.

murphybrown
09-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Sooo the first mod I got for Ms Spyder was SPYDPOPS ROCK GUARD....and I have found several gravel roads (even though I do go looking for them) in my travels....hate when they do the chip seal thing every year ... so all that said to say....relax move slow and check your belt. Never had an issue myself...:bowdown:

Chupaca
09-18-2013, 10:26 AM
you can travel on gravel but have to be mindful that the rear wheel can spin out very easily. So go slow and avoid steep inclines. Check your belt and pulleys and not a bad idea to get spyderpops belt guard..enjoy your event..!! :thumbup:

GeoffCee
09-18-2013, 10:42 AM
If you're really nervous about it, or plan on doing a lot of gravel-riding, site sponsor Spyderpops sells a belt guard that can somewhat help protect the belt from rocks and debris.

I agree. The dealer who sold me my RT was located off the main road down a lane of about 60 yards coated with granite gravel chips. It wasn't his fault, his business was a lodger unit in a farm complex. In only my second visit my Spyder's belt was damaged by a small piece of gravel. I wasn't speeding, the dealer had warned me to take it easy. Following that experience I sent for Spyderpop's belt guard and nothing untoward has happened since. Simple but effective.

jerpinoy
09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
I push my go slow button if my hover function doesn't work:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Don't forget to check rocks on you tires, belt might be damage. slow and easy is the trick. Have fun:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

SpyderAnn01
09-18-2013, 12:03 PM
Buy the new 2014 RT Limited, and engage the hover mechanism and fly over the gravel!:roflblack:

I'll let you know how that works but I really plan to use the hover mode in traffic jams. :roflblack:

ARtraveler
09-18-2013, 01:40 PM
As others have posted--:agree:. Sometimes you have to ride gravel or rocks. Road construction is the biggy here. Riding slow, so as not to throw rocks into the belt is the best advice IMO. If you run into gravel a lot, or if you are worried about the possibility of picking up a rock that will do damage, then the Spyderpops guard may be the way to go.

I picked up a rock and broke my belt in my :cus: driveway last spring. Go figure? :roflblack:

Firefly
09-18-2013, 02:21 PM

kirby

I rode my GS on plenty of gravel roads.... riding hard.. doing fishtales, etc.... and I ran with all my belt guards off. Never had a belt problem in 60,000 miles.

I'm more careful on my RT just because there's more paint to chip, etc....

Don't worry about it....

3 wheeler
09-18-2013, 02:51 PM
I just got back from riding in Vermont last weekend and my wife and I rode many miles of dirt roads on our Spyder. I do have the the SpyderPops belt guard. We had no trouble at all other than at the very end of our trip I noticed my belt alignment was off. I hit quite a few stutter bumps and a couple pot holes and it moved my rear wheel a bit in the swing arm. I adjusted the belt after I got home. So try not to do like I do and forget it's not an atv...:opps:

Whitetail
09-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I have to ride down a gravel road everytime i leave my house. The key is to not go over 10mph and to keep from stopping on any inclines, because you won't get the traction to drive up them if you do.

Bob Denman
09-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Don't worry about it....
:agree: Ride the bike! :thumbup: