PDA

View Full Version : DPS Upgrade? Replacement?

woodtouch6
09-18-2013, 01:36 AM
I just purchased a 2008 Can Am Spyder SM5. I called my local dealer and gave him the vin to see what if any updates or recalls had been done. The service manager said no that none were done.
He said the DPS needed upgraded and that I would have to drop it off for up to a week because they have to take out the DPS in order to make sure to get the right one to replace it.
Is this true? Don't all the 2008 SM5 roadsters take the same DPS? Why couldn't they order it, have ready when I bring the Spyder to them?
Do these really need replaced or is all thats needed is a software update for the DPS?
He said it also needed other software updates.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Craig

kman
09-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Whoa! I have a 2008 and the DPS upgrade was just a software change as far as I remember and was done in 2 days along with other regular service I needed at the time.Hopefully some others will chime in on this.:chat:

ThreeWheels
09-18-2013, 03:09 AM
ALL the early DPS units were all replaced under a recall. A firmware upgrade was insufficient.
I don't know why they need a whole week to do the replacement.
I had mine done in a couple of hours, but that was during the recall campaign so there was a system set in place supplying the units to the dealers on a programmed basis.

kman
09-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Oops,guess I need more coffee.They did a "software" change in 2009 and replaced the units in 2010.

boborgera
09-18-2013, 09:20 AM
ALL the early DPS units were all replaced under a recall. A firmware upgrade was insufficient.
I don't know why they need a whole week to do the replacement.
I had mine done in a couple of hours, but that was during the recall campaign so there was a system set in place supplying the units to the dealers on a programmed basis.

Could be the service department at that dealer has other things to work on!:dontknow:
I'm sure most people wouldn't be happy to have their repair set aside to do someone else's first...
I know i wouldn't...

Spyderjuice
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
I have an 08 spyder and the DPS was changed out in a couple of hours while I waited. It was done during the recall campaign however. They have to take the front trunk off to get to it. Have them grease the front while they can get to all the zerks easily.

Stan

Chupaca
09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
if possible check with other dealers and set up an appointment. Even if they are a distance but can do it same day it may be worth the trip...good luck..!! :thumbup: