PDA

View Full Version : Laser Alignment Question

flybuddy
09-17-2013, 05:37 AM
I'm getting one done on Thursday at Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee. Do I need to be sitting on the Spyder when this is done?? Seems to me that the geometry would change with weight.

wyliec
09-17-2013, 06:56 AM
I'm getting one done on Thursday at Central Florida Powersports in Kissimmee. Do I need to be sitting on the Spyder when this is done?? Seems to me that the geometry would change with weight.

The only reason that Norm from Rolo (laser align developer for spyder) had me sit on the bike during my laser align was to keep the handlebars centered.:dontknow:

FLAlaserman
09-17-2013, 10:03 AM

YES I am the inventor and we have found the toe changes when the rider sits on the bike...so 2 things can happen the service rep should consider your weight when he or she sets toe OR let you sit on bike at the end of the alignment i know they are very sensitive about letting you in the service area BUT we put the rider on the bike at the end and then let them go for a test drive to verify that they are happy

NancysToy
09-17-2013, 06:30 PM
I does change, as FLAlaserman said. That has been the achilles heel with Spyder alignment. A passenger or cargo causes changes, too. Weight on the seat from a person or persons, or sandbags is appropriate for the most accurate Spyder alignment, IMO. Unlike a car, where a driver is only a small change in the total weight of the vehicle, on the Spyder a rider and passenger could be as much as half the weight of the empty RS, and a third or more of an RT. That's enough to cause very significant geometry changes so for the best dial-in, alignments should be done when loaded. Another problem, that this laser system eliminates, is the change in alignment when the reading is taken with the suspension completely unloaded with the BRP procedure, with just a fudge factor to allow for the vehicle weight and none for the rider weight.

C3517C
09-17-2013, 07:57 PM
I does change, as FLAlaserman said. That has been the achilles heel with Spyder alignment. A passenger or cargo causes changes, too. Weight on the seat from a person or persons, or sandbags is appropriate for the most accurate Spyder alignment, IMO. Unlike a car, where a driver is only a small change in the total weight of the vehicle, on the Spyder a rider and passenger could be as much as half the weight of the empty RS, and a third or more of an RT. That's enough to cause very significant geometry changes so for the best dial-in, alignments should be done when loaded. Another problem, that this laser system eliminates, is the change in alignment when the reading is taken with the suspension completely unloaded with the BRP procedure, with just a fudge factor to allow for the vehicle weight and none for the rider weight.

With this in mind, I've found that my RT travels straight and true if I have 2 riders and a full load. When I'm the only one on the bike, it hunts and will immediately go to one side or the other if I let go of the handlebars. With the heavy load I can ride for a good distance without holding the handlebars. Would that indicate that I'm in need of toe-in, or toe-out ?

SNOOPY
09-17-2013, 08:14 PM
YES I am the inventor and we have found the toe changes when the rider sits on the bike...so 2 things can happen the service rep should consider your weight when he or she sets toe OR let you sit on bike at the end of the alignment i know they are very sensitive about letting you in the service area BUT we put the rider on the bike at the end and then let them go for a test drive to verify that they are happy

Thank you for your input, that is awesome :thumbup:

GeoffCee
09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
...With the heavy load I can ride for a good distance without holding the handlebars.

That's a fearsome statement, I've had my Spyder 2.5 years and I have yet to ride any distance without holding onto the bars. I have 2 hands and 2 bar ends and I'm sure as can be that they were made for each other. I just know something very painful would happen if I were to try letting go. I'd like to but I've lived a long time trusting my instincts! :shocked:

NancysToy
09-17-2013, 09:28 PM
With this in mind, I've found that my RT travels straight and true if I have 2 riders and a full load. When I'm the only one on the bike, it hunts and will immediately go to one side or the other if I let go of the handlebars. With the heavy load I can ride for a good distance without holding the handlebars. Would that indicate that I'm in need of toe-in, or toe-out ?

Too much toe-in seldom causes hunting...just unequal tire wear. Too little toe-in can cause hunting and following road irregularities. Yours needs more toe-in, like most. When the passenger mounts the front end rises, increasing the toe-in. Before you get an alignment, increase your front suspension preload if possible. That is the easiest cure sometimes.

C3517C
09-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the help. I'll try it.