PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Heat issue

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Well I got some discouraging responses from BRP tech support today. I decided to contact BRP to ask the question about the excessive heat coming out from between the glove box and the seat as well as the right foot and also added the boiling gas issue with my 2013 RT limited. The person I spoke to, sorry I forgot to get his name, told me that this was being corrected by the recall. I explained to him that the recall was in fact due to a heat issue but, it certainly wasn’t going to correct the issues I was speaking of. I decided to explain the issues in detail, telling him that the amount of heat coming out was so bad that you could roast chestnuts, pun intended, that it made the ride very uncomfortable and I believed it to be a safety issue. His response to the heat issue was, and I quote, “We at BRP consider this to be normal operating conditions for the Spyder” and “We recommend that you wear proper riding gear when operating your Spyder”. My response was, “I do wear proper riding gear, should I include a heat shield in the crotch of my jeans to keep from being cooked”. I know that was wrong of me but really?!?! I asked him if this was something that should be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for investigating. That the heat issue alone might not warrant an investigation but the boiling gas might get someone’s attention. I was quickly instructed to contact my dealer to see if there was anything that could be done to correct the issue. In other words I was brushed off.
Please don’t get me wrong, my wife and I LOVE riding the Spyder and we will continue to do it as long as we are physically able. I just wish that BRP would at least acknowledge that there’s a problem with the 2013 RT model and help those of us that put our trust and money into their product. I know if they acknowledge an issue, then their obligated to do something about it.
Does anyone know how to get their attention or at least how to get in touch with someone that cares about customer service?

flamingobabe
09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
brp.care@brp.com (brp.care@brp.com) this is the email....report the boiling gas,,,I did along with melted master cylinder....stay on them

Road Runner
09-16-2013, 06:45 PM
I find that being paranoid takes much of the enjoyment out of the ride. We do we have to look at the temperature and ride at our peril. We all try to dodge the rainy patches but going above 85 degrees should not be an issue. I would never advise someone with a lean budget or lack of wrench savvy to buy a spyder. It was to be an investment in fun to ride during my declining years. Now it is fun to ride but I go to spyder lovers to plot the mods to make the bike last through those years. Spyder seem to have a decent shelf life but it seems to be because of a handful of mods. Not by the grace of BPR :opps: Gary

twain
09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Mettlerk I feel you pain. My 2010 RS got me hooked on the Spyder. I rode it cross country and never had any concerns. Since buying my ST Limited in Feb, I have had it in the shop for a total of 3 times. First two were alignment issues then heat issues with elated components. I have ad the recall done last week but still do not trust riding too far from my home. I enjoy long rides but fear having all my gear burn up should the bike go up in flames. Looking at the new Indian motorcycles. Hate to switch but hate paying for a bike that only sits in my garage. Not sure what my final decision will be . I do love my Spyder but have serious concerns about its reliability as related to the 2013's.

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 07:09 PM
I find that being paranoid takes much of the enjoyment out of the ride. We do we have to look at the temperature and ride at our peril. We all try to dodge the rainy patches but going above 85 degrees should not be an issue. I would never advise someone with a lean budget or lack of wrench savvy to buy a spyder. It was to be an investment in fun to ride during my declining years. Now it is fun to ride but I go to spyder lovers to plot the mods to make the bike last through those years. Spyder seem to have a decent shelf life but it seems to be because of a handful of mods. Not by the grace of BPR :opps: Gary

I'm a firm believer that if it weren't for this forum and the awesome people that support one another, a lot of people would be lost. I'm good with hands and can most likely come up with a fix to my issues but I just don't feel that I should have to do that. I guess I was just venting my frustration.

SpyderAnn01
09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm a firm believer that if it weren't for this forum and the awesome people that support one another, a lot of people would be lost. I'm good with hands and can most likely come up with a fix to my issues but I just don't feel that I should have to do that. I guess I was just venting my frustration.

I think we all are in agreement that no one but BRP should have to come up with a fix for this.

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Mettlerk I feel you pain. My 2010 RS got me hooked on the Spyder. I rode it cross country and never had any concerns. Since buying my ST Limited in Feb, I have had it in the shop for a total of 3 times. First two were alignment issues then heat issues with elated components. I have ad the recall done last week but still do not trust riding too far from my home. I enjoy long rides but fear having all my gear burn up should the bike go up in flames. Looking at the new Indian motorcycles. Hate to switch but hate paying for a bike that only sits in my garage. Not sure what my final decision will be . I do love my Spyder but have serious concerns about its reliability as related to the 2013's.

I guess I'm not really concerned about breaking down on the road or even a fire, that could happen with any bike and thats why i keep AAA and insurance. I came off a Victory Vision because my hips couldn't take the weight any longer and I truly love riding the spyder. I can afford to do the necessary mods, if there was one out there. I just haven't heard of one yet. If I must, I'll take the hit and trade it in on the 2014 but I will remain on spyder.

SNOOPY
09-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Well I got some discouraging responses from BRP tech support today. I decided to contact BRP to ask the question about the excessive heat coming out from between the glove box and the seat as well as the right foot and also added the boiling gas issue with my 2013 RT limited. The person I spoke to, sorry I forgot to get his name, told me that this was being corrected by the recall. I explained to him that the recall was in fact due to a heat issue but, it certainly wasn’t going to correct the issues I was speaking of. I decided to explain the issues in detail, telling him that the amount of heat coming out was so bad that you could roast chestnuts, pun intended, that it made the ride very uncomfortable and I believed it to be a safety issue. His response to the heat issue was, and I quote, “We at BRP consider this to be normal operating conditions for the Spyder” and “We recommend that you wear proper riding gear when operating your Spyder”. My response was, “I do wear proper riding gear, should I include a heat shield in the crotch of my jeans to keep from being cooked”. I know that was wrong of me but really?!?! I asked him if this was something that should be reported to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for investigating. That the heat issue alone might not warrant an investigation but the boiling gas might get someone’s attention. I was quickly instructed to contact my dealer to see if there was anything that could be done to correct the issue. In other words I was brushed off.
Please don’t get me wrong, my wife and I LOVE riding the Spyder and we will continue to do it as long as we are physically able. I just wish that BRP would at least acknowledge that there’s a problem with the 2013 RT model and help those of us that put our trust and money into their product. I know if they acknowledge an issue, then their obligated to do something about it.
Does anyone know how to get their attention or at least how to get in touch with someone that cares about customer service?

You have a glove box? :gaah:

:roflblack:

RandyL
09-16-2013, 07:41 PM
You guys are scaring me, we take delivery of my wife's new ST-S SE5 on Saturday. I will still be on my BMW for a while but was planning on a second Spyder for myself next year. I sold a Honda ST1300 a few years ago solely because of heat on the rider, now I hear this is a chronic issue with the Spyder. We live in the Eastern half of Washington where it gets pretty hot in the summer so perhaps I should consider aborting the purchase. At any rate, glad I found this forum and thanks for all your posts. BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?

Huddleston
09-16-2013, 07:58 PM
... BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?

Re: Can-Am® Spyder® Roadster - Tandem Master Cylinder Manifold Inlet - Fire Hazard (recall also involves the gasoline evaporative emissions canister, although it is not mentioned). From the BRP website: http://www.spyder.brp.com/owner-center/recall-information-details?PostID=e343e27f-21f1-49a3-a0ba-a23000acae20

flamingobabe
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd like to get BRP to send me the new enhanced air flow body panels to try out on the 2013 ST...I already sent them an email...

flaggerphil
09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Have you talked to your dealer?

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
Have you talked to your dealer?

Yes I did. I went by there this afternoon and will be dropping off my spyder on Thursday for the recall work. My service tech told me he has been on two Rt's that had what he thought to be way to much heat coming out around the seat. Lets see if he can make any difference.

Orange monster
09-16-2013, 08:26 PM
You guys are scaring me, we take delivery of my wife's new ST-S SE5 on Saturday. I will still be on my BMW for a while but was planning on a second Spyder for myself next year. I sold a Honda ST1300 a few years ago solely because of heat on the rider, now I hear this is a chronic issue with the Spyder. We live in the Eastern half of Washington where it gets pretty hot in the summer so perhaps I should consider aborting the purchase. At any rate, glad I found this forum and thanks for all your posts. BTW, what "recall" is being referred to?

its been well noted that not all bikes have the heat issue to the point that the bike is dangerous. I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. There have been many bikes go I for the recall already that showed no signs of melting. When its 95 degrees out side and you set in 10mph traffic for 30 minutes the bike is going to be hot! At the same time there have been some bikes that truly have heating issues to the point the bike goes into limp mode and the MC has started to melt!

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I'd like to get BRP to send me the new enhanced air flow body panels to try out on the 2013 ST...I already sent them an email...

I wonder if that will really work.

Mettlerk
09-16-2013, 08:38 PM
I wouldn't go that far. As with any company that produces goods, there bound to be a problem along the way. The real test for these company's is how they respond to them. Think about it, a few years back Ford had a problem with their cruise control causing fires. They didn't have a fix out of the gate but, they took responsibility for the problem and requested that people disconnect the system until a fix was found and they fixed it.
I'm sure BRP will resolve this, I just think its going to take more then a few people to make it happen.

IMHO I don't think there a more enjoyable ride out there.

SNOOPY
09-16-2013, 08:40 PM

That would be cool, although I haven't had any issue yet.

flamingobabe
09-16-2013, 08:43 PM
its been well noted that not all bikes have the heat issue to the point that the bike is dangerous. I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. There have been many bikes go I for the recall already that showed no signs of melting. When its 95 degrees out side and you set in 10mph traffic for 30 minutes the bike is going to be hot! At the same time there have been some bikes that truly have heating issues to the point the bike goes into limp mode and the MC has started to melt!

I found my master cylinder melted in June...7500 miles...all miles were long distance....never in stop and go traffic and the temps had been from 45 to 90 (March -June) my screen went to "High Temps...Limp Mode" in 15 miles of riding..90 degrees....again...never in stop and go traffic

SNOOPY
09-16-2013, 08:58 PM
I found my master cylinder melted in June...7500 miles...all miles were long distance....never in stop and go traffic and the temps had been from 45 to 90 (March -June) my screen went to "High Temps...Limp Mode" in 15 miles of riding..90 degrees....again...never in stop and go traffic

On a ST-L ?

W one or two riders?

Just wondering.

Daisyjoe
09-16-2013, 09:26 PM

NORMAL OPERATING CONDITIONS:yikes: If this is normal, why do they state in their ads for the 2014 models that the heat issue has been addressed (Or something to that effect). Normal operating conditions does not leave blisters on your thighs caused by the heat. This is an inferior product and BRP needs to step up, admit it, and correct the problems or give the 2013 owners a very good incentive to purchase a 2014, if they so desire. My bike has been parked for 2 1/2 weeks. I did not pay $27,000 to walk by and admire how sharp it looks. I bought a bike to ride. YOU MADE AN ERROR IN THE DESIGN OF THE 2013s. ADMIT IT, BRP!!!

ARtraveler
09-16-2013, 09:35 PM

I also suggested this on the forum earlier today as an across the board offer to all owners of 2013's. Probably did not win any new friends, but I feel the subject is like unfinished business.

If not a freebie--then at cost or something similar. :bbq::bbq::bbq:

hotglue
09-17-2013, 06:21 AM
I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country. !not so..... if you don't have issues..lucky you.

flamingobabe
09-17-2013, 07:07 AM
on a ST-L one rider
On a ST-L ?

W one or two riders?

Just wondering.

cuznjohn
09-17-2013, 07:56 AM
i contacted them by e mail and saved all the e mails between us. i also got a case number off of them and if the problem continues with my right foot getting very hot i might start a lemon law suit against them

jcthorne
09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
The 'comfort' issues are not likely to gain any traction with NHTSA, EPA or lemon law case and therefor with BRP. The boiling gas and resultant fume emissions IS. We need to be complaining about the boiling gas and gas fume issues. Fix that and the comfort issues around the seat will improve as a result. I would really like to find out if any of the air flow improvements from the 2014 can be easily adapted to the 2013s.

Sny
09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
I think the bikes that have shown signs of melting master cylinder are the bikes that set in very slow traffic in very hot areas of the country.
The MC cap melts at highway speeds, not slow speeds.

One good long ride on the Interstate when it's 90F+ out will melt it thru. The temps under plastic reach insane levels (300F+) at highway cruise rpms. 1 up, no traffic. I suspect people that haven't had it melt yet don't ever do 400+ miles in a day which could explain the "mine didn't melt" comments. Not everyone travels on their Spyder.

On a positive note, I was able to cook 2 potatoes and broil a package of hotdogs by wrapping them in foil and placing them under the seat. Just make sure you turn them over when you stop for gas. This never worked on my '09 no matter how many times I tried.

Remember that other things are melting too, parking brake lines are melting, purge valves are failing due to heat and evap cannisters melting thru and bursting into flames.

The recall will bandaid the MC melting issue and possibly some of these other melting issues. But it doesn't solve the heat issue.

In order to have a safe and sane 2013 ST you will likely need the new side panels (which aren't available to buy yet) which should dump enough fresh air into there to completely mitigate the heat while in motion. These parts are probably $400 plus paint (the 2014 colors don't match our 2013's.)

Unfortunately BRP lawyered up and labeled these as a "appearance enhancement" rather than cooling ducts which they obviously are. They won't and can not admit to a flaw or there will be hundreds of lawsuits no matter what they do to resolve the issue. They could be giving away free bikes and if they admit it's because of a high heat issue then someone will sue them for melted... dangly bits. "Ow I spilled my coffee, I want a million dollars."

Maybe they will offer a discount on the new parts for 2013 owners, that'd be nice.

flamingobabe
09-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Sny...I agree totally and just think what all the heat is doing to any and all rubber hoses and parts...the excessive heat is degrading rubber...any place there is a stainless steel clamp on rubber...it will degrade faster....what is going to happen down the road...1 year 2 years...etc....when is a piston going to blow the engine...

Sny
09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Sny...I agree totally and just think what all the heat is doing to any and all rubber hoses and parts...the excessive heat is degrading rubber...any place there is a stainless steel clamp on rubber...it will degrade faster....what is going to happen down the road...1 year 2 years...etc....when is a piston going to blow the engine...
Exactly.

I think the side panels will be essential to a decent lifespan for the 2013 ST. No idea what the 2013 RT's should do as the path BRP chose for them is not something you can retrofit.

I love the ST, the looks, the feel... but I'm beginning to think a 2014 RT might be in my future.

cuznjohn
09-17-2013, 09:35 AM
with all the moaning and groaning i have been doing i do realize that i bought the bike and i own it. we can complain as much as we want but we are just profit to a big company and if we want to fix this problem we just need to get rid of our bikes and buy new ones. BRP will fix the hazards like the bikes burning ( if they can ) but will not spend too much money to do it. it all comes down to money, and as soon as they see or hear about one of their engineers saying that the problem does exist https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=596426597063223&set=vb.504956156210268&type=2&theater i bet the video will be pulled down because of what he said. i love the bike but hate the heat, i have spent money by putting in new front shocks, sway bar, lights, hand brake, air deflectors etc.. to make the bike handle better for me and and to take a loss by trading it in or selling it is not worth it. i went to 3 wheels dues to health problems from diabetes and my feet. so what do i get, a bike that makes my right foot feel like it's going to burn off. now with the cooler weather coming in i won't feel the heat that much. so we just have to realize we have a problem bike and learn to live with it.

Dan McNally
09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
2013 RT Limited, 110 degrees, heavy traffic then 300 miles uphill half the time, no issues.
No hotter than my 2012 Harley. If you wear shorts and sneakers on either bike you will get blisters and burns.

How about while wearing jeans? Twice, I've had first degree burns on my thighs. With mesh riding pants, no burns, but very uncomfortable. I was able to resolve that issue by using aluminum duct tape to cover the area around the seat latch where heat poured up under the seat like it was a chimney, and by getting a sheepskin seat cover that hangs over the side of the seat. I'm very happy that you have had no issues, but don't assume that, because your Spyder doesn't have an issue, it is OK to dismiss everyone who complains about this issue.

cuznjohn
09-17-2013, 09:45 AM
i really think that if BRP wanted to they could chance our fans and software to make the radiator fan blow in reverse like in the 14's. i think it is a great idea and would be somewhat of a fix for us 13 rt owners

jerpinoy
09-17-2013, 12:21 PM

Check your dealer they should tell you all the recalls.
keep reading other post who never have problems if this make you feel better.
The 2014 looks promising and have serious positive thoughts.

cuznjohn
09-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Check your dealer they should tell you all the recalls.
keep reading other post who never have problems if this make you feel better.
The 2014 looks promising and have serious positive thoughts.

just register on BRP'S web site and you can find all the recalls there

Bob Denman
09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
After looking at the new Triple; would it be possible for somebody with a welder and a good eye, to relocate the exhaust to under the bike? :dontknow:

flamingobabe
09-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Bob...this probably could be done...but we don't want to redesign a $26,000 Spyder....this is a job for BRP
After looking at the new Triple; would it be possible for somebody with a welder and a good eye, to relocate the exhaust to under the bike? :dontknow:

Magdave
09-17-2013, 03:06 PM

It pretty much is Bob. The 3 into one manifold is in front dropping down to a single pipe that runs along the center brace to the exit point. A whole lot different than getting a V-Twin snaking around under the Tupperware. Yeah Yeah I know now you are gonna want it even more :roflblack: My self I will be waiting for the '15's so you beta testers can do your jobs and I will buy a '14 at a discount then.

Daisyjoe
09-17-2013, 09:28 PM
How about while wearing jeans? Twice, I've had first degree burns on my thighs. With mesh riding pants, no burns, but very uncomfortable. I was able to resolve that issue by using aluminum duct tape to cover the area around the seat latch where heat poured up under the seat like it was a chimney, and by getting a sheepskin seat cover that hangs over the side of the seat. I'm very happy that you have had no issues, but don't assume that, because your Spyder doesn't have an issue, it is OK to dismiss everyone who complains about this issue.

Well Said!! I, too, wear jeans when I am riding.

Saluda
09-17-2013, 09:44 PM
This "issue" is going to stay in the back of my mind even after the recall is completed. I'm starting to lose more and more faith in BRP.