PDA

View Full Version : I'm sooooo stupid!

matusky
07-03-2008, 10:13 PM
So today I performed my own 3,000 mile service..... I take a ton of panels off.... I have the laptop sitting there using Lamonsters step by step....

I get everything back together and fire it up, checked the oil twice to make sure, I start putting the left engine cover on and the phone rings.... then I come back out and start putting all the tools away.... it rings again....

To make a long story short, I'm going on a little trip to a BBQ tomorrow (July 4th) and I wanted to take the Spyder... I decided that I wanted to put a couple miles on it to make sure I didn't have any leaks before putting it away for the night..... so I toss all the tools away and go for a ride.... I hit a speed bump on the way out of my neighborhood..... and about 50 feet later I hear something skidding underneath.... then behind me.....

I DIDN'T SNAP THE LEFT ENGINE COVER ON! I just popped it under the upper panel and the three quick twist screws were loose.... so it took a while to come off........

So now, I have scratches all over it........... because NATURALLY it was skidding on the painted side........ and for the life of me, I can't find a part number or a ballpark price on a yellow left engine panel........ does anyone know!?!

With all the attention this thing attracts, there's no way I'm going to ride around with all kinds of scratches all over it!!

jeuchler
07-03-2008, 10:28 PM
... and for the life of me, I can't find a part number or a ballpark price on a yellow left engine panel........ does anyone know!?!

With all the attention this thing attracts, there's no way I'm going to ride around with all kinds of scratches all over it!!

Sorry about your accident, matusky. I'll tell you sometime about when I pulled out of the garage with a disc brake padlock still attached...:shocked:

Anyhow, this is what I pulled off the spyderryder website back in January. It was in one of the blogs, I believe. At least it's a start:

U.S. Retail

LH Side Panel
$179.99

RH Side Panel
$179.99

Rear Tip
$57.49

Rear Fender
$107.49

Rear Fender
$107.49

Front Fascia
$49.99

Hood
$233.49

LH Front Fender
$179.99

RH Front Fender
$179.99

Center Panel
$149.99"

matusky
07-03-2008, 10:45 PM
So $180...... hmm

Makes me wonder if it would have been worth it now to have the dealer do the oil change after all........ filter, oil, mess to clean up, new body panel to order.......

Greeeeaat........ :dontknow:

spyderrider44
07-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Sounds like something i would do ,sometimes when i am busy doing a project i let the answering machine take the call or i would come back and wonder what i was doing :dontknow: better luck in the future.

NancysToy
07-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Heck with it! Ride anyway. Stick band-aids on the wounds to call attention to them, and when folks ask, tell them you hung it so hard into a corner you had it on its side. :D They'll know it's BS, you'll know it's BS, but you'll still be riding until your panel comes in. That could be a long while. We're still waiting on an upper panel under warranty...three months plus later.
-Scotty

Mr K
07-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow i guess i will be going to the dealer now.

Sounds like the luck i would have if i did that.............Good luck on getting it fixed and yes you are correct people do look when you go by

Lamonster
07-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Phone calls will get you every time. :cus::banghead:

jnt
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Heck with it! Ride anyway. Stick band-aids on the wounds to call attention to them, and when folks ask, tell them you hung it so hard into a corner you had it on its side. :D They'll know it's BS, you'll know it's BS, but you'll still be riding until your panel comes in. That could be a long while. We're still waiting on an upper panel under warranty...three months plus later.
-Scotty

:2thumbs: on the band-aid idea! You'd still ride if the scratches were on you, right? We'd be seen with ya, band-aids and all!

jt

matusky
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm still going to ride it..... it just sucks that it scratched it so deep right on the edge in a couple spots that the black plastic that panel is made out of is showing through...... with the yellow paint it sticks out REALLY bad.

And is it true that there's THAT much of a wait on the body panels? my dealer is closed today so I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone yet..... :sour:

matusky
07-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Sorry about your accident, matusky. I'll tell you sometime about when I pulled out of the garage with a disc brake padlock still attached...:shocked:

Uhhh..... now THAT one I would love to hear!

I'm assuming this was on the Spyder also?

:popcorn:

jeuchler
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Uhhh..... now THAT one I would love to hear!

I'm assuming this was on the Spyder also?

:popcorn:

Yes.

Snapped the belt guard and almost my neck. Not quite as embarassing as when I dropped my Katana on my own leg in my own driveway. I just lay there for a while hoping no one woould notice. Of course then there's the time I fell off the dumptruck--that was just this week...Need I go on?!

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/firstaid/kitpics/Kit-CoverPatch-Sm.gif

NancysToy
07-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm still going to ride it..... it just sucks that it scratched it so deep right on the edge in a couple spots that the black plastic that panel is made out of is showing through...... with the yellow paint it sticks out REALLY bad.

And is it true that there's THAT much of a wait on the body panels? my dealer is closed today so I haven't been able to get in touch with anyone yet..... :sour:
Don't know if all the panels are as difficult, but they may be putting all available parts into the production models. That's my dealer's guess. Our panel is the upper console, which was damaged before we took delivery. Another option to consider...patch the panel, and paint them all black (or whatever suits you). Maybe more money than a new one, though.
-Scotty

trikester
07-04-2008, 12:17 PM
-Scotty

It's like it doesn't matter whether you ski or not. If your leg's in a cast you tell anyone who asks that you were doing this double black diamond run on Everest...................................

Frank