PDA

View Full Version : why are some hot

frenchek
09-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I am basically new to the forum and spyder ownership. I have a 2013 rt with about 1700 miles on it now. I have had the recall for the mc and there were no signs of melting, the roadster runs great, the heat gauge is in the mid zone . the only changes I have added are the Baja ron sway bar {its fantastic},gps and a joshimura exhaust. what I don,t understand is why are some rts are having "heat" problems and some are not ? aren't they all made the same on an assembly line ? did they change something as the year went on, I bought mine later in the year ,july. sure there is heat that comes out of the exhaust areas like it is supposed to, but nothing any different than a HD or any other bike {at least that what mines does } granted I live in Pennsylvania not texas but we still get 90 plus days. WHY ARE SOME HOT AND OTHERS NOT ??

JkRbbt
09-15-2013, 11:02 PM
I hear ya. I have the first RT to hit our dealership back in Feb. and I don't seem to have an excessive heat problem. I guess I will know more on Thur when she goes in for the recall fix, but I haven't had any problems except the initial ball joint situation. Now I have nearly 3,000 miles without a hiccup. My worry is that all the 2013s get a bad rap. Oh well, having NOT won the lottery, I guess I will wait a couple of years to see how the newest developments work out.

OWISE1
09-15-2013, 11:10 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57476-Confirmed-USA-2013-RT-S-MELTING

Got my 2013 RT-S SE5 in June and have 2100 miles on it. Melted master cylinder and wiring harness. :banghead:

BikerDoc
09-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Sometimes problems seem to be in the eyes, ears, or mind of the beholder.. I have put over 65000 mile on two RTs and have had virtually none of the hundreds of problems I have seen mentioned here.

SpyderAnn01
09-16-2013, 12:58 AM
You have a good question and one that I'm sure everyone would like to have answered. I didn't have any issues with my Spyder being uncomfortably hot for me as a rider but I did have problems with my 2013 throwing codes for high air intake temp and high coolant temp. I had at least one melted parking brake cable and my Spyder went up in flames while I was riding it. Was something done differently on mine than yours? Or is it because I rode mine on long trips (13,000 miles in 13 weeks)? I put 59,000 miles on my 2010 RTS and I never had any heat issues not even last summer in Las Vegas but there are plenty of other owners of 2010 RTs who complain of heat on their right foot.

I hope that the recall has fixed the issues with the 2013 and I really hope that the 2014 will be trouble free.

Frank G
09-16-2013, 06:19 AM
I have often wondered if the issue was the difference in the exhaust gas temperature (EGT) of each machine. In any given production run, any given parameter will have variances. In this case the EGT. I would think that the fuel to air mixture would have the most impact on the EGT. Without the ability for us to monitor the EGT from each cylinder this will remain a mystery. I am sure that the engine engineering group for this machine did a thorough study and set up the engine control module (ECM) to give the best performance under most conditions. Just my thoughts. My 2012 RT Ltd is a engineering marvel... wouldn't trade it for anything. :ohyea: Well maybe a "14"

Cruzr Joe
09-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Got my 2013 RT at Pitbulls in April during Spyderfest and so far no heat problems, trying to get an appointment for the MC recall, other than that I love my 13 RT.

Cruzr Joe

cuznjohn
09-16-2013, 08:29 AM
because people like me try to stop this problem and will spend money to stop it. also for the money why did the bikes come out with cheap front shocks that we have to replace to get the bikes to perform right

flamingobabe
09-16-2013, 08:41 AM
I do not have a 2013 RT...but do have a 2013 ST....I believe the fuel mixture was changed on the 2013's which has caused some bikes to run too lean....and hotter....I had master cylinder melt in June...repaired in July....but why do some run hotter than others???????million dollar ?????

SpyderAnn01
09-16-2013, 11:24 AM
because people like me try to stop this problem and will spend money to stop it. also for the money why did the bikes come out with cheap front shocks that we have to replace to get the bikes to perform right

I think you had a bad set of stock shocks and if you would have pressed your dealer about them they would have replaced them under warranty. I had bad shocks on mine and when they were replaced the handling was excellent. No need to spend big $$ on Elkas.

PrairieSpyder
09-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Based on your thread title, I can only say:

Some of us are just born that way!:ohyea:

jerpinoy
09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
They are created not equally the same.:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:: roflblack:.

Daisyjoe
09-16-2013, 12:47 PM
I own a 2013 RTS SE. This is my second Spyder. My first is a 2010 RS SE5. I never had a hint of a heat problem with the RS, but the RTS gets so hot I cannot ride it. It burns the inside of my thighs. And I mean burns!!!.. To say I am unhappy would be an understatement. Opened a case with BRP, told them of the problem. They said to work with my dealer. To this day NOTHING has been done. Not even an attempt. Sorry. Just had to vent!!!:yikes: