PDA

View Full Version : Guess RS crowd doesn't rate

otter28169
09-15-2013, 08:17 PM
I am very, very, very unimpressed with the new line up. Putting a larger displacement, higher HP, higher torque motor in an RT is like putting a 392 Hemi in a conversion van. It seems to me that the motor and 6 speed transmission are wasted on a vehicle that needs an immediate shock and sway bar upgrade to handle the corners. It does not make sense to me that the "sport" model of this machine is going to have the smaller and more anemic motor. I am guessing that BRP is looking to end production on the RS models, and this is a good way to do it. The RS is the model that started it all. Even though it is over-priced it is still selling, but apparently the profit margin is not good enough to upgrade the model. It is just one more model year that I have been disgusted with. On one hand,it would make me sick to have to switch to another brand such as polaris. On the other, if I am gonna have a bloated $30,000 machine shoved down my throat, I will have to look elsewhere for what I want.
I love my RS-S and will never give it up, but I am starting to take offense at the lack of effort on BRP's part.

Just sayin'...........

spydaman60
09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
:agree: rs and rss should have been the first to get the new engine--- I would think!! oh well 365 days and counting----:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

DrewNJ
09-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't be to worried about it... It just gives us another year or two to put some miles on the reliable equipment that we already have.
Let the RT peeps work out all the bugs for us....:joke::roflblack:

Topshotta
09-15-2013, 08:30 PM
I am very, very, very unimpressed with the new line up. Putting a larger displacement, higher HP, higher torque motor in an RT is like putting a 392 Hemi in a conversion van. It seems to me that the motor and 6 speed transmission are wasted on a vehicle that needs an immediate shock and sway bar upgrade to handle the corners. It does not make sense to me that the "sport" model of this machine is going to have the smaller and more anemic motor. I am guessing that BRP is looking to end production on the RS models, and this is a good way to do it. The RS is the model that started it all. Even though it is over-priced it is still selling, but apparently the profit margin is not good enough to upgrade the model. It is just one more model year that I have been disgusted with. On one hand,it would make me sick to have to switch to another brand such as polaris. On the other, if I am gonna have a bloated $30,000 machine shoved down my throat, I will have to look elsewhere for what I want.
I love my RS-S and will never give it up, but I am starting to take offense at the lack of effort on BRP's part.

Just sayin'...........

I feel you.... Can't believe no upgrade.

OJ UK
09-15-2013, 08:32 PM
It may just be that the engine upgrade goes where the most money is currently spent. For the time being.
That's OK by me....if the at some point in the future the RS(S) is fitted with the triple and after all of the likely
teething problems have been ironed out.
Possibly Can-Am are using the current production year to get rid of their V-Twin engine stock
and as the RS has had no real heat problems they'll use what 998s they have on the lighter sports machine.
But I hear where you're coming from and I also would like to see that triple in an RS-S of the future.
Bring it on!! Hey!! You're a young guy anyway...I'm an old fart looking at his last years of motorcycling!!

spydaman60
09-15-2013, 08:38 PM
It may just be that the engine upgrade goes where the most money is currently spent. For the time being.
That's OK by me....if the at some point in the future the RS(S) is fitted with the triple and after all of the likely
Possibly Can-Am are using the current production year to get rid of their V-Twin engine stock
and as the RS has had no real heat problems they'll use what 998s they have on the lighter sports machine.
But I hear where you're coming from and I also would like to see that triple in an RS-S of the future.
Bring it on!! Hey!! You're a young guy anyway...I'm an old fart looking at his last years of motorcycling!!I don't know how old you are bro, but this old fart here is 62!nojoke

Wiredux
09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Typically sport bikes run at higher rpms and cruisers run lower rpms. I know that riding with Lamont and Ron on the way to SpyderFest they would leave my RT in the dust. Lamont in his ST pulling a trailer still had more power then my RT. is a bigger engine really needed in an RS or ST?

spydaman60
09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Typically sport bikes run at higher rpms and cruisers run lower rpms. I know that riding with Lamont and Ron on the way to SpyderFest they would leave my RT in the dust. Lamont in his ST pulling a trailer still had more power then my RT. is a bigger engine really needed in an RS or ST?needed -- no! wanted - yes!!!:thumbup:

otter28169
09-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Typically sport bikes run at higher rpms and cruisers run lower rpms. I know that riding with Lamont and Ron on the way to SpyderFest they would leave my RT in the dust. Lamont in his ST pulling a trailer still had more power then my RT. is a bigger engine really needed in an RS or ST?

In a word............YES.

Bob Denman
09-15-2013, 08:43 PM
The RS-S DOES get some tweaking to the VSS system... :thumbup:

OJ UK
09-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Quote Spyderman60:I don't know how old you are bro, but this old fart here is 62!
LOL!! That comment was directed at otter28169!
62 huh? I only got three years on you, mate at 65.....
but hey, who's counting!! Keeping my knees in the breeze!
(Well, trying anyhow!!)

rnet
09-15-2013, 08:44 PM
Nothing here that would make me spring for a new model. Last year the RS HP was reduced by 8.

Lamonster
09-15-2013, 08:46 PM

For sure it was needed in the RT. The RS is the sport version of the Spyder, most sportbikes are 600cc with some 1000cc and a few 1300cc. The RS already has the upper end size wise. There are no true touring bikes that are 998cc. Even 1300cc is on the small size.

BajaRon
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Bring it on!! Hey!! You're a young guy anyway...I'm an old fart looking at his last years of motorcycling!!

:agree: We're all guessing, of course, but I'd say you are pretty close to right on. If you're smart you put the mods where the money is. The RT Series sells better and probably has a better net than the RS series (though I think the ST may have really bumped the numbers up).

I'm not ready for an RT and, like many, I would like to have seen the triple in the RS/ST line. That would have given me great cause to consider a new Spyder.

Let's let the RT crowd work out the kinks and hope that BRP can do us this favor next year. And who's to say there won't be a mid-model year release.. Say next spring! Just in time for riding season 2014! :thumbup:

Now that would be REAL SMART

By the way, it wouldn't be my first triple. A simpler time to be sure.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/KawasakiH1.jpg

Bob Denman
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
Besides; the original bodywork was probably not designed with a lot of extra space around the twin...
They may not have been able to shoehorn the triple in there!

StanProff
09-15-2013, 08:52 PM
I do understand where your coming from, Here is the other point of view from a touring perspective. Out of the box the RT is carring a couple of hundred more pounds than the RS. This alone justifies some more power. Add to this the fact that many of us are always riding 2 up loaded to the gills as well as pulling the Trailer, that empty, weights in at 250 lbs. Load it with another 100 to 150 lbs and the numbers simply overwhelm the 998 motor. We learn to adjust our riding to compensate for the lack of power and torque. We also must plan ahead when it comes to slowing down. (the better brakes on the '13 s has helped this). If you have an SM5 (as I do) it really can be a bear to pull out on an uphill incline with this type of load. A lot of clutch and a lot of throttle. I do agree that the 1300 engine should be available across the board for the spyder line as it is going to be a great improvement for the brand. I would say that within a couple of years it will be available in the RS. I think The spyder line needs to continue to offer the sport, sport touring and touring lines. There is a market for all three. You never know, maybe they will retain the 998 as a base offering in the RS and the 1300 for the top of the line in the RS S. That gets my vote.

otter28169
09-15-2013, 08:59 PM
For sure it was needed in the RT. The RS is the sport version of the Spyder, most sportbikes are 600cc with some 1000cc and a few 1300cc. The RS already has the upper end size wise. There are no true touring bikes that are 998cc. Even 1300cc is on the small size.

The spyder is not like other bikes. And my 2005 Mach Z had much more power out of it's 1000cc SDI motor. No reason we can't tune it up a little and turn the motorcycle world on it's ear again.:D

OJ UK
09-15-2013, 09:01 PM
:agree: <snip>
By the way, it wouldn't be my first triple. A simpler time to be sure.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd365/BajaRon/KawasakiH1.jpg

Oooooh....very nice! Is that a Mach 1 500cc or an H2 750cc? I had a brief sojourn with a Mach 1 waaaaaay back
when its owner was in the Royal Navy and he'd broken the one into three throttle cable so I made up a new one and had the use of the bike for
around eight weeks one summer before Kawasaki had a real importer in the UK and spares were very difficult to get.
It didn't go round corners but by golly did it go in a straight line.....mainly on the rear wheel I seem to remember!!
I've got a mate who has a mint H2 and aside from the horrendous fuel costs it's gorgeous.

ARtraveler
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Otter & some others. Sorry to hear that you are not excited with the offerings for the RS.

As most know, I started with the GS and then an RS before moving on to the RT.

After driving the RT's since 2010, most also know that I rented an RS while on my most recent vacation. The difference in power on the RS was very noticable to me in comparison to what I am now used to. With the standard 998 cc I do not have any complaint about less power or performance on the RS in comparison to the RT. The RS seemed like a rocket in comparison to my current RT's. We were also riding two up.

I have been complaining since day one (2010) that I thought the RT was somewhat underpowered in comparison to my previous GS/RS :spyder2:'s. There is a need for the bigger engine on the RT and with the other improvements (service levels, lower rpm shifting range, longer driving range etc)--I think they have a winner there. I would not be surprised that this technology will show up on the other models also before long.

I was thinking that my days for getting another :spyder2: were coming to closure--but know I have something to ponder very closely. Will I become a 5 :ani29: owner?

BajaRon
09-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Oooooh....very nice! Is that a Mach 1 500cc or an H2 750cc? I had a brief sojourn with a Mach 1 waaaaaay back
when its owner was in the Royal Navy and he'd broken the one into three throttle cable so I made up a new one and had the use of the bike for
around eight weeks one summer before Kawasaki had a real importer in the UK and spares were very difficult to get.
It didn't go round corners but by golly did it go in a straight line.....mainly on the rear wheel I seem to remember!!
I've got a mate who has a mint H2 and aside from the horrendous fuel costs it's gorgeous.

This was the 500cc (499), Mach III, H1. I can't remember if it was a 69 or 70. One was white and the other red (not to much on color choices back then.) A rocket ship straight ahead and a death trap in curves. Never a dull moment!

billrob71
09-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I'd like to see some up-grades for the RSS but glad it's not this year since I just got mine. Maybe next year they will add the 3 cylinder to the RSS give it a year in the RT to see how it does. I'd be little nervous about the first year on a new powerplant even if it has been really tested well. Real world test with different people and different riding styles will show the real tail on how it does.

Whitetail
09-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I too think that the RS-S should have gotten the larger motor, Its the sportbike variant, it's supposed to be the most powerful, quickest bike in the lineup. I Can see why the RT with all its extra bloat needs the larger motor, but they should have just done an upgrade all across the board.

daveinva
09-15-2013, 09:27 PM
As an avowed RS fan... I'm DELIGHTED they didn't put the triple in there. :thumbup:

I don't want a torque-monster in the RS. The RS is the sportbike of the bunch, it should feel like a sportbike. And that means high revs.

Now, I do want more POWER in the RS. And range, and reliability, and all the rest that the RT guys are now getting. But I'd much prefer to have a different engine in there.

But leave the triple, as designed, for the RT (and, eventually, the ST... I'm guessing next year for that?).

Daisyjoe
09-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Otter & some others. Sorry to hear that you are not excited with the offerings for the RS.

As most know, I started with the GS and then an RS before moving on to the RT.

After driving the RT's since 2010, most also know that I rented an RS while on my most recent vacation. The difference in power on the RS was very noticable to me in comparison to what I am now used to. With the standard 998 cc I do not have any complaint about less power or performance on the RS in comparison to the RT. The RS seemed like a rocket in comparison to my current RT's. We were also riding two up.

I have been complaining since day one (2010) that I thought the RT was somewhat underpowered in comparison to my previous GS/RS :spyder2:'s. There is a need for the bigger engine on the RT and with the other improvements (service levels, lower rpm shifting range, longer driving range etc)--I think they have a winner there. I would not be surprised that this technology will show up on the other models also before long.

I was thinking that my days for getting another :spyder2: were coming to closure--but know I have something to ponder very closely. Will I become a 5 :ani29: owner?

I own a 2013 RTS and also a 2010 RS. I parked my RTS a couple of weeks ago due to the recall. I rode my RS this past weekend for about 200 miles. I had forgotten how fast this thing runs. I twisted the throttle and I was amazed. Like a rocket is a good comparison. I love my RS. Never had any problems with it. Absolutely NO HEAT ISSUE with the RS. I am selling my RS, but I really have some attachment issues:).

Lamonster
09-15-2013, 09:50 PM
The spyder is not like other bikes. And my 2005 Mach Z had much more power out of it's 1000cc SDI motor. No reason we can't tune it up a little and turn the motorcycle world on it's ear again.:D

I got a simple answer for you that will cost lest than half of a new Spyder.
http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/motorcycles/spyder/

Chupaca
09-15-2013, 10:13 PM
We are a minority but we are not orphans..through us a bone now and then...!! We RS ryders got nothing..colors don't count for nothing most of us have custom touches anyway. Different wheels were always available. But your right, it's the money and where they get it..ahh what the :cus: I love my RS and will ryde it till one of us dies...!! :ohyea:

billrob71
09-15-2013, 10:19 PM

Dealers don't like them when you take your spyder in for warranty work though ;) I would not mind trying one though. :yes:

billrob71
09-15-2013, 10:23 PM
We are a minority but we are not orphans..through us a bone now and then...!! We RS ryders got nothing..colors don't count for nothing most of us have custom touches anyway. Different wheels were always available. But your right, it's the money and where they get it..ahh what the :cus: I love my RS and will ryde it till one of us dies...!! :ohyea:

!00% AGREE, I love my RSS and can't see myself on a RT at least not for a long time. Enjoy hitting the twisties too much. Not much on the new colors, like the wheels but nothing else on mine has anything polished. half to break out the spray can.

WackyDan
09-15-2013, 10:34 PM
There is much to love about the new enhancements to the RT... More power, and specifically more range.

That said, the RS is sold as a sport tourer no? I suspect those of us on original GS's or early RS's will have to wait a bit longer. Either way, I think this is a good indicator of things to come to either the ST (which I would prefer to move up to) or ultimately the RS.

Until then, more miles for the GS. :D

vmaxman
09-16-2013, 01:21 AM

WOW HOW UGLY CAN YOU GET, IT WOULD MAKE ANYTHING, MOTORCYCLE, CAR , BOAT, SPYDER ANYTHING WITH AN ENGINE LOOK TERRIBLE! IF IT DON'T HAVE THE LOOKS, WHO CARES IF IT COOKS!!! I HAVE A 2013 ST WITH THE K&N FILTER, POWER COMMANDER, SHOT GUNNER EXHAUST AND IT DYNOED AT 110 HP AND IT HAS THE LOOKS, I WILL GLADLY GIVE UP 30+ MORE HP THAN PUT THAT UGLY TURBO SYSTEM ON MY SPYDER. I HAVE A GRAND NATIONAL WITH STAGE 2 MOTOR AND BIG TURBO AND IT HAS CLASS AND LOOKS GOOD, PUTS OUT 747 REAR WHEEL HP. I GUESS IF POWER IS ALL YOU CARE ABOUT THEN BY ALL MEANS MAKE YOUR SPYDER UGLY.

DragonLorD
09-16-2013, 03:34 AM
In a word............YES.

:thumbup:

SilverSurfer
09-16-2013, 04:25 AM
There is a difference in curb weight between the RS and the RT of 227 pounds. A bit less of a difference between the ST and the RT. The RT has always been a bit obese for the 998, although it somehow it has seen us through just fine ... until today ;). Let's not get ourselves psyched out with the new RT. Sounds like a great new machine, but so is my current '10 RT-S with all my mods. I would think the more important upgrade for the RS and ST series would be a six speed; not so much a bigger engine. In the meantime, my 'Elvira' still has a lot of lovin' to go with me.

MikeinGA
09-16-2013, 05:24 AM
BRP should fix the problems in new model that are carried over from older models like cooking the gas in the gas tank and other heat problems and the dirty engine oil in the clean side air box problem. These are only a few of the problems I have correct on my 2011 RS-S to make it safer to ride, get more mpg, lower the oil usage to 14 oz. in 5,000 miles, made it cooler for the rider, and improved the handling. That's IMHO.

Mike

bscrive
09-16-2013, 05:56 AM
I would think the new 6 speed transmission would work great in the RS. I always thought that the tranny should lock up at a much lower rpm. 3200 is way too high.

wyliec
09-16-2013, 06:26 AM
WOW HOW UGLY CAN YOU GET, IT WOULD MAKE ANYTHING, MOTORCYCLE, CAR , BOAT, SPYDER ANYTHING WITH AN ENGINE LOOK TERRIBLE! IF IT DON'T HAVE THE LOOKS, WHO CARES IF IT COOKS!!! I HAVE A 2013 ST WITH THE K&N FILTER, POWER COMMANDER, SHOT GUNNER EXHAUST AND IT DYNOED AT 110 HP AND IT HAS THE LOOKS, I WILL GLADLY GIVE UP 30+ MORE HP THAN PUT THAT UGLY TURBO SYSTEM ON MY SPYDER. I HAVE A GRAND NATIONAL WITH STAGE 2 MOTOR AND BIG TURBO AND IT HAS CLASS AND LOOKS GOOD, PUTS OUT 747 REAR WHEEL HP. I GUESS IF POWER IS ALL YOU CARE ABOUT THEN BY ALL MEANS MAKE YOUR SPYDER UGLY.

To each their own. Sometimes people's taste is only in their mouth.

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 06:44 AM
:agree: To some folks; beauty is in the twist of the loud grip! :thumbup:

sledmaster
09-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Come on, look at this from the side of BRP. The RT series is by FAR the number one selling Spyder. The RT is the heaviest model as well. To put the new engine in the RT means they will sell a bunch of units to CURRENT RT owners. No need to go find new buyers. They have many years of RT owners who will step up and buy a new unit. Putting the new engine in the RT will result in far more sales than if it was put into an RS. Figure maybe next year it could make it into an ST Limited, that would make sense. The power and range capability just plain are more logical for the RT, but this was much more of a marketing decision to offer all of the RT owners something to upgrade to. RTs out number the RS/STs by what, 4:1 or 5:1 or even more? Simple economics. I know many dealers sell 10 RTs for every one RS they sell. So yes, the RS crowd just does not rate, it is all in the numbers.

As for the motor, ski-doo has had an in-line 1200cc triple for many years and that engine is awesome, reliable as a hammer, really durable. Being this new 1330 is an ACE technology engine it will be even smoother, cleaner and reliable with less service required.

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 08:49 AM
:agree: (I was just looking at the Ski Doo site to find the origins of the 1330...:thumbup:)

retread
09-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Okay, now we've got an ENGINE, I'll start hoping for a dual clutch transmission, and shaft drive.

john

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
:gaah: some folks are pretty tough to please... :shocked:
We got more engine, more gears, better cooling, better charging, MORE RANGE...
And you still want the extra width and weight of a shaft?? :D :joke:

daveinva
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM
You know, I thought about it overnight and what I've now concluded is that if *I* were in charge at BRP, I would do pretty much what they're doing.

1. Add the ST to reflect how many people ended up modding their RS vehicles, i.e. skip the middleman and get everything "factory."

2. Invest to make the RT what everyone wanted in the first place: a luxury tourer with plenty of torque, power and range. Given how popular the RT is-- and, we can assume, the profit margin on the model-- this makes the most sense for BRP.

3. As for the RS... while I personally have pooh-poohed talk about a "stripper model" in the past, after last night, I'm beginning to think that's where BRP should, and perhaps is likely, to go with the RS.

Notice first that the prices for the 2014 RS models actually went *down* compared to previous years. Perhaps it's just BRP realizing the RS doesn't sell as well as they used to, or perhaps it's BRP recognizing that the more differentiation between the RS, the ST and the RT, the better each can sell.

Still, let's be honest, the RS is still a VERY expensive bike, so if there's a way for BRP to create even more "feature separation" between the RS and the other models, BRP will likely pursue that. The biggest way to achieve that separation is in price-- make the RS cheaper, and you score a better "gateway drug" for future Spyderlovers.

That said, one thing I think might be in store for the RS *isn't* a bigger engine with more range. Instead, I think we might finally see the single biggest way to differentiate the RS from the ST & RT: a leaner. The RS would be a perfect testbed for a leaning Spyder, and you'd be able to give your market a strong choice: sport touring in the ST, luxury touring in the RT, and OHMYGODISTHISCRAZYSTUPIDFUN in a leaning RS.

I know what *I* am voting for. :thumbup:

Flanker
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
So........................I take it I'm not the only one disappointed with the '14 RSS? Hey! It's got a restyled rear fender.....................now there's something likely to induce unintended bladder incidents! :joke: Or; maybe not.
As disappointed as I am.....................it's easy to see (business wise) why they went the RT/ST upgrade route. It makes up the bulk of their sales, and is the most over weight and thereby underpowered with the 998 V twin.

Having said that..................a 118 HP 1330 triple can only be described as underpowered for its size. I forget what they said the torque was up to; I'm sure it'll be appreciated by the touring crowd though.

Flanker's 2015 RSS: 200+ RWHP transversely mounted inline four (can anyone say NEW FRAME?), 6spd tranny/chain drive, 16" wheels/appropriately sized brakes/calipers, defeatable traction control, VSS, and ABS, 125 lbs less blubber.

Can't say as I expect to see it though. There are a bunch of really good reasons to keep the engine design/production in house...................and in fairness; the Rotax units are good engines. I'd still like to see BRP go outside the box with spec motors from Kawasaki or Suzuki (the likeliest engine suppliers featuring the least amount of additional development for a FrankenSpyder). The ZX14 motor is a very attractive motor candidate with its computerized power mode system, and must be pushing 190-200 HP in current form. Bump it to 1450-1500 ccs and you'd be well into my target HP area. My '07 ZX 14 has a pipe and dyno mapped PC III on it---the shop development mule dynoed at 185+ RWHP so 200 + would be easily achievable. How much market there'd be for that type of beast...................I'm not so sure. If the profit isn't there.......................then neither is the motive to produce the product.

Lamonster, thanks for the link to the turbo kit! Was unaware of them. :cus:! The other poster is right..................it is a FUGLY unit; with a capital F! Fit right in with the Madstad on my RSS! :joke:

Ron, your Mach III pic brought back some good (and BAD!) memories for me. I owned two '72 (first year of production) Mach IV 750s back in the day, at different times. Here's a pic of the first one (I was the first and third owner-------yes I bought it back) after a custom lacquer candy blue paint job, brake system rebuild, aftermarket shocks, fork rebuild, brass swing arm bushings (infintesimally reduced frame flex), and ported, polished, and piped (Dencos--loud enough to wake the dead!) motor:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z139/FlankerDFR/CCI09162013_0000.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/FlankerDFR/media/CCI09162013_0000.jpg.html)

The good: Many many great rides with my Buds!
The BAD: Pretty sure running it off of that curve and into that tree qualifies! :joke: Wadded it up pretty bad and I was darn lucky I didn't wad myself up any worse than I did! What a putz!!

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm also glad to see a triple coming back into my life...
My first street-legal bike was one of the little 250cc Kawasaki triples.
As smooth as a watch; and just as underpowered... :shocked:
But it set the hook that I've been unable to shake for all these years! :thumbup:

spydaman60
09-16-2013, 11:21 AM
http://aerocharger.com/turbo-systems/motorcycles/spyder/pretty cool. but you've got to have a deep pocket to buy it and then a deeper pocket to take care of all the problems with the bike when brp won't cover it under warrantee because of the turbo charger.:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 11:27 AM
No worries Chuck; just wait until all of the warranees have expired... That way it's ALL on your dime if things turn pear-shaped on the bike! :shocked:

Lamonster
09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
pretty cool. but you've got to have a deep pocket to buy it and then a deeper pocket to take care of all the problems with the bike when brp won't cover it under warrantee because of the turbo charger.:yikes:

I agree, when playing with hp you have to have deep pockets, been there done that. :shocked:

What I don't get is why the RS group seem to be so dissatisfied with what they have now. We all know it's a great ride the way it is and a great looking unit stock. Add the new side panels for better cooling and better looks and maybe throw on a set of the new wheels and maybe rear fender and you really got something that you can make your own. I loved my GS and maybe I should have sold it now that I think about it but it had plenty of power the way I had it and to this day it runs better than new with 50K on it. An for sure it's going to have a more impressive exhaust not than the triple.

Oh and I'm a cruiser guy to the core and none of the above fit that mold. It's the one missing link in the Spyder line and one I think would out sell all the Spyders to date. Go to a rally and and maybe 80% of what you see are cruisers. :doorag:

jtpollock
09-16-2013, 11:49 AM
We are a minority but we are not orphans..through us a bone now and then...!! We RS ryders got nothing..colors don't count for nothing most of us have custom touches anyway. Different wheels were always available. But your right, it's the money and where they get it..ahh what the :cus: I love my RS and will ryde it till one of us dies...!! :ohyea: :agree: I got the RS S because of its looks but mate it an St befor they came out thats what we do it's all about the mods ride till one of us dies...!! :2thumbs: :spyder2: JTPOLLOCK

spydaman60
09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
I agree, when playing with hp you have to have deep pockets, been there done that. :shocked:

What I don't get is why the RS group seem to be so dissatisfied with what they have now. We all know it's a great ride the way it is and a great looking unit stock. Add the new side panels for better cooling and better looks and maybe throw on a set of the new wheels and maybe rear fender and you really got something that you can make your own. I loved my GS and maybe I should have sold it now that I think about it but it had plenty of power the way I had it and to this day it runs better than new with 50K on it. An for sure it's going to have a more impressive exhaust not than the triple.

Oh and I'm a cruiser guy to the core and none of the above fit that mold. It's the one missing link in the Spyder line and one I think would out sell all the Spyders to date. Go to a rally and and maybe 80% of what you see are cruisers. :doorag:lamont, i don't think anyone, or at least i can speak for myself, said that they were disatisfied with the rs/rss line. it's just normal behavior to want something new, to get the juices flowing, to get you dreaming of what the next move will be to a newer version of what you have. obviously you want bigger, better, or you don't get to dream. i personnally don't want an rt. the wife and i like the looks of the rss and the ride of the rss, therefor for us to step up to an rt, it just isn't in our picture. to step up to a new rss with things on it that we don't already have on our machine, now that's another story. that's what dreaming is all about!!!:thumbup:

Kratos
09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
RS guys (I was one), there is something down the pipe. It'll be next year. Just gotta be patient...

Bob Denman
09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
K,
So you're crossing over to, "The Dark Side"?? :shocked:

Welcome to the PARTEEE! :D:yes::yes::yes: :2thumbs:

billrob71
09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
I love my RSS but a faster more sport like ride I think is what were talking about toning down the VSS system so it can be riden like a sport bike, accelerating out of a turn and cracking the throttle and have nanny kick in when the computer think the bike is out of sorts. Maybe the dealer too tweak the system a little.

otter28169
09-16-2013, 03:42 PM
I am not dissatisfied with my RS-S. I just hate to see the model ignored. And I agree with the price problem mentioned earlier. How Many sport bikes do you see on the street that cost $18,000. There may be a lot of RT's around, but I personally do not want one. If BRP wants to sell more of the RS models they need to make them appeal to the younger riders. That is a very large part of the market that the spyder does not currently appeal to. It is also the demographic that is going to be the future of the RT crowd What I am seeing here is an opening for another company to come in and find a niche in the market Can Am created.

Just sayin'............

Derek Paisley
09-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Agreed. I certainly am satisfied with my RSS.
As others (including myself) have noted, focus (as of late) is not towards the RS/RSS lineup and improvement (based on RS/RSS rider feedback). It is based on revenue.

BRP's revenue (roadster) primarily comes from the touring demographic.

Of course those of you who ride or are looking to ride that model/s (Touring) are more than happy.

Why wouldn't you be? You're being looked after.

Littlebadwolf
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I've spent over 3 years adding farkles to make my 09 GS the ride I want...It's never let me down, have everything possibly made regarding add-ons and it runs like a dream....Nothing about the 2014's excites me with the exception of the additional miles between fill ups...Maybe I'll transition to one of the ST's or RT's but it's not calling me at the moment...I love my ride....:)

Derek Paisley
09-16-2013, 04:18 PM
I am not dissatisfied with my RS-S. I just hate to see the model ignored. And I agree with the price problem mentioned earlier. How Many sport bikes do you see on the street that cost $18,000. There may be a lot of RT's around, but I personally do not want one. If BRP wants to sell more of the RS models they need to make them appeal to the younger riders. That is a very large part of the market that the spyder does not currently appeal to. It is also the demographic that is going to be the future of the RT crowd What I am seeing here is an opening for another company to come in and find a niche in the market Can Am created.

Just sayin'............

Very well said.

The Can-am Spyder is becoming synonymous with "the Mature demographic".

Here's hoping the faith shown towards BRP R&D will come to fruition as it pertains to the RS/RSS.

flaggerphil
09-16-2013, 04:21 PM

Indeed.

My last two wheeler was a Yamaha V-Star 1300T...and lot of people considered it a "small" bike.

flaggerphil
09-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I too think that the RS-S should have gotten the larger motor, Its the sportbike variant, it's supposed to be the most powerful, quickest bike in the lineup. I Can see why the RT with all its extra bloat needs the larger motor, but they should have just done an upgrade all across the board.

To me, it's pretty obvious why they went with the RT first. Who knows, an upgrade to the GS's and ST's could be coming up in the near future.

flaggerphil
09-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Why are you yelling?

Dan McNally
09-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Agreed. I certainly am satisfied with my RSS.
. . . Of course those of you who ride or are looking to ride that model/s (Touring) are more than happy. Why wouldn't you be? You're being looked after.
We are? Are they giving me a new 2014 RT to replace my 2013 RT? No one is being "looked after" more than anyone else who currently owns a Spyder. Folks in the market for a new Spyder RT are looking at close to $30,000 for the pleasure. How do you feel that "those of you who ride . . . that model . . . (Touring) are more than happy"? Your logic escapes me.

Kratos
09-16-2013, 04:33 PM
K,
So you're crossing over to, "The Dark Side"?? :shocked:

Welcome to the PARTEEE! :D:yes::yes::yes: :2thumbs:

Been planning on it since I sold Knight. But I decided to wait on the 14's announcement just in case there was a change......and boy am I glad I waited. :clap:

dguisinger
09-16-2013, 04:43 PM
While many sport bikes have 1000cc engines and smaller, they also don't have a 700lb curb weight.
The RS-S needs a larger engine (option) for people who want real sports performance.

That said, I find this interesting.
BRP launched a new SeaDoo (The Spark) with the Rotax 990 in it...
And then launched a updated Spyder RT with an inline 3-cyl Rotax 1330....

The 1330 inline is what is in my current SeaDoo...
They also reduced the price of the RS,while introducing the cheaper SeaDoo Spark

This leads me to believe:
1) They are trying to maximize re-use of components across their entire product line and
2) Get their pricing down a bit on the low end

I love my RS-S even though its been in the shop for transmission issues 3 times in the last month (ARGGG), but even I feel like it costs way too much for what it is...

bill pitman
09-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Nothing here that would make me spring for a new model. Last year the RS HP was reduced by 8.

And premium fuel needed,
I'm happy with my '09 GS SM5,

Bill

Kratos
09-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Premium fuel works better.....but it's not needed.

Smokinspyder
09-16-2013, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't be to worried about it... It just gives us another year or two to put some miles on the reliable equipment that we already have.
Let the RT peeps work out all the bugs for us....:joke::roflblack: yea I am with that one !

Dochands
09-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Otter I could not agree more. I can only hope BMW or someone else does a three wheeler that is sleek and powerful. I suspect 2014 is the tombstone before they bury the RS.

DrewNJ
09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
While many sport bikes have 1000cc engines and smaller, they also don't have a 700lb curb weight.
The RS-S needs a larger engine (option) for people who want real sports performance.

That said, I find this interesting.
BRP launched a new SeaDoo (The Spark) with the Rotax 990 in it...
And then launched a updated Spyder RT with an inline 3-cyl Rotax 1330....

The 1330 inline is what is in my current SeaDoo...
They also reduced the price of the RS,while introducing the cheaper SeaDoo Spark

This leads me to believe:
1) They are trying to maximize re-use of components across their entire product line and
2) Get their pricing down a bit on the low end

I love my RS-S even though its been in the shop for transmission issues 3 times in the last month (ARGGG), but even I feel like it costs way too much for what it is...

Ummmm....no. :rolleyes:

The new seadoo spark is NOT the rotax 990. It is an inline 900 ACE motor that has been in the sleds.
Also, Your seadoo does NOT have a 1330 ACE motor. If it's a 4 stroke it's a 1503 4tec and can be anywhere from 130-260hp depending on what it's in.... That 1503 motor has been around now since late 02' and has been a pretty solid powerplant.

Ironically, this is the first year that seadoo and skidoo have shared a motor configuration since the 2-stroke days, or early 2000's....and the first time ever that's it's been a 4 stroke that's been shared.

The spyder rotax v990 is shared with a handful of Aprilia motorcycles.:)

Sarge707
09-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Ummmm....no. :rolleyes:

The new seadoo spark is NOT the rotax 990. It is an inline 900 ACE motor that has been in the sleds.
Also, Your seadoo does NOT have a 1330 ACE motor. If it's a 4 stroke it's a 1503 4tec and can be anywhere from 130-260hp depending on what it's in.... That 1503 motor has been around now since late 02' and has been a pretty solid powerplant.

Ironically, this is the first year that seadoo and skidoo have shared a motor configuration since the 2-stroke days, or early 2000's....and the first time ever that's it's been a 4 stroke that's been shared.

The spyder rotax v990 is shared with a handful of Aprilia motorcycles.:)

:agree: BRP could up the HP on the 990 By numerous HP if they Feel like it? nojoke

lookerjdc
09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Otter I could not agree more. I can only hope BMW or someone else does a three wheeler that is sleek and powerful. I suspect 2014 is the tombstone before they bury the RS.

seriously?

do auto companies replace/upgrade every model of every car they make every year? no?

the RT was lacking certain things and they addressed that problem first

guess what comes next?

oh, and BMW and other companies do make trikes, but they are not approved for the US (yet), and, they cost around $90,000.00

the other models

Oldmanzues
09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Quote Spyderman60:I don't know how old you are bro, but this old fart here is 62!
LOL!! That comment was directed at otter28169!
62 huh? I only got three years on you, mate at 65.....
but hey, who's counting!! Keeping my knees in the breeze!
(Well, trying anyhow!!)
I am not sure where that puts me at 78. I know Dick is older, if he is still riding from Spyderfeast a year ago.
Oldmanzues