PDA

View Full Version : Fire question

Dragonrider
09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Why is the plastic fluid housing a problem with the 2013s and not with other years? Could that be the real cause of the earlier fires??

Just askin….. :dontknow:

Dan McNally
09-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Why is the plastic fluid housing a problem with the 2013s and not with other years? Could that be the real cause of the earlier fires??

As I understand it (I am pretty sure I read it here,) the heat shield that is supposed to protect the MC from the pipe is smaller than previous years. Someone also said the charcoal canister was relocated and may be interfering with air flow. Can anyone verify (or correct?) that?

Chupaca
09-15-2013, 10:43 AM
position and higher heat as well as lack of shielding. From the solution this seems to be the problem. Don't know about the earlier problems or how the solved those..:dontknow:

Bob Denman
09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
It's a bit of a compilation (comedy?) of errors...
The redesigned frame moved some stuff around
That affected airflow and proximities to the hot parts
The shielding on the hot parts was changed...
"POP!", goes the weasel! :shocked:

They will need to address airflow and shielding to completely cure this serious issue.
Perceived heat by riders... that's another issue that is also being looked at by bRP... Time will tell... :thumbup:

OWISE1
09-15-2013, 11:53 AM

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?57476-Confirmed-USA-2013-RT-S-MELTING :yikes:

All repaired now including Melted Wiring Harness :pray:

cuznjohn
09-15-2013, 06:12 PM
they did not get the parts in for my recall yet so when i ride now i carry hot dogs so we can eat when waiting for the fire trucks :dg1::dg1:

Yazz
09-15-2013, 07:30 PM

On the earlier year GS/RS the plastic brake fluid housing was below the left-hand passenger seat. No flam factor there.

What caused the earlier fires IMO, was the canister getting full of fuel, the canister's drain hose was plumbed to dump the fuel right over the manifold, and poof!

There was a recall to reroute the drain hose to a safer spot.

If I'm wrong on any of this, please chime in...

hotglue
09-15-2013, 09:33 PM
We have quit trying to figure out the problems with the 03. It's BRP's issue, they will need to fix it... too much at stake.nojoke Hoping they come up with a real resolution.