PDA

View Full Version : Spyder racing

scott16119
09-14-2013, 07:33 AM
I was thinking about this when I was reading a post yesterday about a motorcycle rider questioning the performance and cornering ability of a spyder. I'm from Minnesota and was wondering if there are any organized spyder road racing circuits anywhere in the country. We have a world class sport bike track here at Brainerd International Raceway, but I've. never heard of spyders competing in anything other than drag racing and speed runs. I do believe racing will be part of the spyder evolution someday. The research and development that would come from racing would benefit all .

Bob Denman
09-14-2013, 07:42 AM
This has been kicked around a bit in here; nothing has ever developed...
Do you remember all those years ago, when they tried to race 18-wheeleers? I get the feeling that this would end up about the same. :shocked: (JMHO)

Flanker
09-14-2013, 08:56 AM
This has been kicked around a bit in here; nothing has ever developed...
Do you remember all those years ago, when they tried to race 18-wheeleers? I get the feeling that this would end up about the same. :shocked: (JMHO) Oh, I don't know. I think a bunch of aging people flogging the living :cus: outta their Spyders (saddle bags, chrome plated lobsters, I phone 5, cupholders and all; with attached trailers of course :joke:) would be quite entertaining........................until the explosion and resulting inferno anyway. ;) Realistically; you'd have to completely reengineer the Spyder into a raceable (is that a word?) form. NO traction control, VSS, or ABS.......................some REAL motor, different wheels and tires, nerf bars and a host of other improvements.......................like about a 125 lbs less Spyder blubber. Just sayin'.............................

Bob Ledford
09-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Give it time it's still in the infancy stages. Hell fire they even have National Lawn Mower racing so why not Spyders?

:)

reverendg
09-14-2013, 09:31 AM
They used to race sidecars....complete with riders who leaned really close to the pavement on turns.

Dan_Ashley
09-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Give it time it's still in the infancy stages. Hell fire they even have National Lawn Mower racing so why not Spyders?

:)
national lawn mower racing? Whete can I go see this? It would be a hoot.

spydaman60
09-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, I don't know. I think a bunch of aging people flogging the living :cus: outta their Spyders (saddle bags, chrome plated lobsters, I phone 5, cupholders and all; with attached trailers of course :joke:) would be quite entertaining........................until the explosion and resulting inferno anyway. ;) Realistically; you'd have to completely reengineer the Spyder into a raceable (is that a word?) form. NO traction control, VSS, or ABS.......................some REAL motor, different wheels and tires, nerf bars and a host of other improvements.......................like about a 125 lbs less Spyder blubber. Just sayin'............................. kinda sounds like nascar/Nextel. a ford ain't a ford, a chevy ain't a chevy, and a Toyota ain't a toyota! they're all racing cars with custom motors and a companies decals flying by that say ford ,chevy and toyota. so why can't we do it with a spyder?:dontknow:

SPYDERFUZZ
09-14-2013, 01:09 PM
You could do it like they did back in the 50's You have a :spyder2: and no improvements except maybe a 500 weight hanging off one side to help keep it from flipping. You would have have rules such as a roll cage and things like that. IMMHO Don't look for me I'm not gong to race a $30,000 machine even with advertising like "Eat at Jose's" or "Dunkin Donuts" painted on the side of my :spyder2:

cuznjohn
09-14-2013, 01:27 PM
at my age the only racing i do is to a bathroom or a bunch of trees

daveinva
09-14-2013, 01:59 PM
Realistically; you'd have to completely reengineer the Spyder into a raceable (is that a word?) form. NO traction control, VSS, or ABS.......................some REAL motor, different wheels and tires, nerf bars and a host of other improvements.......................like about a 125 lbs less Spyder blubber. Just sayin'.............................

Actually, you wouldn't have to remove any of the electronics or change the stock engine-- you simply accept those as a hard limitation. Every Spyder has them, so all racers are automatically on a level playing field.

Facts: an experienced Spyder rider will trip the Nanny later than a novice. Likewise, a bone-stock Spyder will trip the Nanny sooner than one that's had its suspension upgraded.

Where the variety comes from is (obviously) rider skill, but also all the extras you *can* put on a Spyder to modify it's performance-- turbo kits, fuel controllers, different exhausts, suspension upgrades, different tires, etc. etc.

cuznjohn
09-14-2013, 02:17 PM
I was thinking about this when I was reading a post yesterday about a motorcycle rider questioning the performance and cornering ability of a spyder. I'm from Minnesota and was wondering if there are any organized spyder road racing circuits anywhere in the country. We have a world class sport bike track here at Brainerd International Raceway, but I've. never heard of spyders competing in anything other than drag racing and speed runs. I do believe racing will be part of the spyder evolution someday. The research and development that would come from racing would benefit all .

remember that YOU ASKED FOR IT SHOW well here you go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaIHoBAzeaA

Grandpa Pete
09-14-2013, 02:20 PM
They used to race sidecars....complete with riders who leaned really close to the pavement on turns.
Still do on the Isle of Man during the TT Races..

ARtraveler
09-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I don't think the :ani29: was built for the racetrack. You have enough oommmmmmmmmmph to go down the road---but. I don't see them holding up under heavy abusive (above and beyond normal use). The result there has been blown and replaced engines.

flaggerphil
09-14-2013, 03:00 PM
You could do it like they did back in the 50's You have a :spyder2: and no improvements except maybe a 500 weight hanging off one side to help keep it from flipping. You would have have rules such as a roll cage and things like that. IMMHO Don't look for me I'm not gong to race a $30,000 machine even with advertising like "Eat at Jose's" or "Dunkin Donuts" painted on the side of my :spyder2:

Roll cage??

spydaman60
09-14-2013, 03:10 PM
at my age the only racing i do is to a bathroom or a bunch of treesthat's my kind of race! i'm in!:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-14-2013, 05:35 PM
I compete in the 60 second T.V. commercial class... :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
09-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Maybe they can add a class for Spyders at the IoMTT:yikes:

mwkess
09-14-2013, 08:08 PM
75665 :firstplace:

otter28169
09-14-2013, 08:59 PM
I find that my ryding style can affect the handling as much as, if not more than, suspension changes. The thing about spyder racing is that the RS and RS-S are the only models that are even remotely "race ready". The first cars of NASCAR were stock cars, that had Farkles added to make them faster and more agile. I only have 12000 miles under my belt, and no local tracks to practice on, but I would love to get into it if I could afford to race. I do NOT race on the roads, as I have grown smarter in the last 18 years. The way it rydes for me my spyder feels a lot like a snowmobile, anybody want to be my financial backer???!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Just sayin'............

HuckFin
09-14-2013, 09:22 PM

I mentioned in another post yesterday about setting up a autocross type course to run spyders on and see how they match up against 2 wheelers or just amongst us spyder ryders. I think it would be more fun than a drag race, just need a large parking lot and a whole lot of pylons or rent a oval track with a figure 8 in the middle. It can be set up fast or slow with placement of the pylons. Don't think you would need to worry about flipping over, people tend to drive within their own limits.....Not to mention the car I autocrossed the most was a 62 Corvair, did complete 360's (not on purpose) and never came close to flipping it over. You do have to sign a waiver though, I assume like the one you may have signed? at the spyderfest drag race. Anyway just a thought.

scott16119
09-14-2013, 10:15 PM
I agree the RS models would be the machine of choice. Right now used spyders still bring a pretty good price. The day will come when there will be more used high mileage machines at bargain prices, making it easier to purchase a machine to beat the crap out of on a race track. Sure it will have some weak points that need to be beefed up or modified in some way. Its also just a matter of time before someone well be able to fine tune the nanny or eliminate it all together. I'd not be surprised to see in the near future the spyder having a user adjustable nanny something like BMW already has on their K1600. I just can't see why this won't someday be like snowmobile racing, or atv racing, or jet ski racing. You put a motor in something and people are gonna try to race it.

Chupaca
09-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Until the nanny can be modified the spyder will not be running track or circuit races. Drag and land speed for sure. Now flat track could be fun and all others but for now too restrictive..jmo:dontknow:

Bob Denman
09-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I actually LIKE the idea of having Nanny on board; it makes it a race between the riders; best and smoothest racer wins! :thumbup:
If you get into a "cash-War"; :yikes: