PDA

View Full Version : BRP GPS mounting kit

Atonic
09-13-2013, 07:59 PM
In the process of mounting a GPS to the wife's new RS-S with the BRP mounting kit.

Had to remove all of the Tupperware from the handlebars back to run the wire to the available power outlet. If you have access to power in the front you can save yourself some trouble.

The kit is for a Zumo 660 series. Mounting a 390 requires an additional rectangular ram ball plate. The 390 seems to have the same hole pattern as the 660, but rotated 90°. So you need two plates and an arm to mount the 390. The GPS comes with one plate and the arm.

When you are gathering tools to start, the handle bar bolts are 7mm hex but the replacements are 8mm. The little bolts for the GPS plate are 3mm.

The splice connectors for the power line to the BRP provided plug are pretty neat. Shrink tubing with a ring of solder in the middle. Just stuff in the wires and hit it with a heat gun.

The 390 power line has an in-line transformer. Not a big deal, but if you don't want it sitting on the back of the fuel tank, plan on spicing in some additional wire.

Overall, the instructions were good enough for the install. Just don't read the ones for other versions of the Spyder. That confused me.

I'd probably be grumpier about taking off the body panels but I'm also installing LEDs for tail/brake and turn signal lights, as well as a sport rack.

bigflax925
09-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Any pictures of the install?

Atonic
09-14-2013, 10:44 PM
Sorry, I can't take anything bu blurry pictures. Tremors.