PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone removed the header pipes?

Ray R
07-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I want to get my header pipes ceramic coated. I'm in the process of removing them now. I've got all the body panels off, and the collector off, and the front pipe lose. But I can't seem to find the right angle to get the front pipe out. Is there some trick to it that someone can help me with?

Ray R
07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks to the quick help of one of our forum members. The trick is you have to remove the small frame tube on the left side. Once that's hanging lose, the front header will slide right out.

Now on to the rear header!

Dyno824
07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Hi Ray cant go wrong with that ceramic coat,my 90 pipe for the micron came ceramic, great stuff.The guy that does that here is now ceramic coating guns pistols.You will notice a big differance. Den on the coast

Ray R
07-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Although the nuts are tough to reach, the rear header comes out without removing any frame parts. Once out, it becomes really obvious that the front and rear headers are of significantly different lengths....i.e....they're not "tuned".

I had to dig deep into my toolbox for various wrench lengths and types to get the header nuts off. There are 4 on each exhaust port, and they're all 10mm.

But they're both off now and heading for ceramic coating tomorrow! I'll be using the 2000 degree black satin type finish. I've been told it provides the most durable finish as well as providing the best heat transfer.