PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spyders: Classified Top Secret

ViperWolf
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Ive got to hand it to BRP. In todays world with technology allowing cameras to be anywhere and everywhere and the instantaneous sharing of information; BRP does an amazing job of keeping control of information on their new models. Although the anticipation is not nearly what it was last year when everyone was waiting to confirm the existence of the then brand new ST model, many including myself are curious as to what the new model year will bring to the Spyder line up, even if it's just the color selections. After significant web searching there is very little info to be found, except for 1 alleged spy shot of an orange RT with a camera crew chase vehicle following it. They sure do a good job of keeping things tight lipped. Have any Spyderlovers been able to find much more? Standing by for Sunday night's premier, until then stay safe.

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
:agree:
Tick... Tick... Tick... :shocked:

Chupaca
09-12-2013, 10:29 AM
there are no changes...easy to hide nothing and spread rumors...:roflblack::roflblack:

SpyderAnn01
09-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I know I am hoping that that they changed a whole lot more than the colors. They can hold the price....no need to raise that.

TexAmRider
09-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Spoke to a local dealer (90 miles away from home) Tuesday, while out for a ride. He said there were some changes in tupperware design that were supposed to streamline the wind flow and change the bubble area for the passengers comfort. Also said changes to the suspension, though he had no specifics, and that he is anxiuosly awaiting the arrival of the 2014 to check it out. Not much info. We will see.

MouthPiece
09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Same song. Second verse. Little bit louder and a little bit worse. :yikes:

Chris

flamingobabe
09-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I sure wish I could be there to see the 2014 roll out....I'll get there if BRP will let me in....what you say BRP? I love Spyders

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 12:25 PM
:agree: BRP... Let her in!! She's earned it! :2thumbs:

cuznjohn
09-12-2013, 12:27 PM
i just hate it when they improve so much when i just bought a new bike.:banghead:

Deanna777
09-12-2013, 12:33 PM
I wonder if the new 2014 model will be a" basic model" for the new beginner Rider?
And maybe "NEW Colors.

Deanna777:ohyea:

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Do you mean something smaller, lighter, and powered by the Ace 600 engine? :dontknow:

cuznjohn
09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
Yes, I have new info.
The new Spyders will be powered by the Briggs & Stratton 1100cc Vangaurd powerhouse.
Recoil starters will be standard with an optional electric start.

The can-bus has been completely removed and the only troublesome electronic device is the low oil shutdown of the new engine that can easily be thwarted by attaching the blue wire to a suitable ground.

Speed is now displayed on an innovative wind driven mechanism mounted to the windshield.
The SE5 and SM5 has been replaced by a centrifugal clutch that was previously used in the company's Nordic series of snowmobiles.

Since the Briggs has no charging magneto, electrical power will be provided by a 300aH battery and charged with a convenient plug at night.
Which shouldn't be a problem since all but the new ST Limited models have no headlamps.
The company was quick to point out that there is now more storage space due to the change.

BRP was able to almost hold the line on prices with only a modest 7% increase in MSRP.

roger you really need to get out more

Tx web rider
09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
check lamonsters garage

Knarfoh
09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Have any Spyderlovers been able to find much more?
I did learn that one way they keep everything under wraps is to use a self-destruct protocol on test models (Similar to "this tape will self-destruct in 5 seconds... Good Luck Jim!" used in Mission Impossible).

Unfortunately, the engineers forgot to remove the protocol from 2013 models before they went into production.

I share your excitement too about the 2014 models. But mine is more like wondering how they can top the self-immolation that occurred during a Spyder open-house this past year.

What? You want your Spyder not to burst into flames? You have come to the wrong place!

i just hate it when they improve so much when i just bought a new bike.

Your 2013 hasn't self-destructed?

http://youtu.be/75RPJOp36ts

Olddood
09-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Ive got to hand it to BRP. In todays world with technology allowing cameras to be anywhere and everywhere and the instantaneous sharing of information; BRP does an amazing job of keeping control of information on their new models. Although the anticipation is not nearly what it was last year when everyone was waiting to confirm the existence of the then brand new ST model, many including myself are curious as to what the new model year will bring to the Spyder line up, even if it's just the color selections. After significant web searching there is very little info to be found, except for 1 alleged spy shot of an orange RT with a camera crew chase vehicle following it. They sure do a good job of keeping things tight lipped. Have any Spyderlovers been able to find much more? Standing by for Sunday night's premier, until then stay safe.
Here's one you may have missed

ARtraveler
09-12-2013, 01:57 PM
The orange picture with the chase car seems to be the only spy photo that has been published.

You are very right about BRP being tight lipped. I made my predictions about 2014 and am waiting to see how close I come to being on the money.

Rider magazaine, October issue, shows a Can-Am ad on page 9. The title says "OUR NEW SPORT-TOURING ROADSTER GRIPS THE ROAD JUST AS TIGHTLY AS YOUR HEART".

A ST and "maybe" a RS is shown. No mention about 2014--but I can't tell if there are cosmetic differences that are new. Does not seem like BRP would run an ad and show old stuff when everyone else is showing ads for new.

If any of you sleuths are out there, you might give the ad a look and see what you think.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Spyder_Cowgirl
09-12-2013, 02:02 PM
:agree: BRP... Let her in!! She's earned it! :2thumbs:

:agree: .... and so has SpyderAnn! nojoke

Pirate looks at --
09-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Yes, I have new info.
The new Spyders will be powered by the Briggs & Stratton 1100cc Vangaurd powerhouse.
Recoil starters will be standard with an optional electric start.

The can-bus has been completely removed and the only troublesome electronic device is the low oil shutdown of the new engine that can easily be thwarted by attaching the blue wire to a suitable ground.

Speed is now displayed on an innovative wind driven mechanism mounted to the windshield.
The SE5 and SM5 has been replaced by a centrifugal clutch that was previously used in the company's Nordic series of snowmobiles.

Since the Briggs has no charging magneto, electrical power will be provided by a 300aH battery and charged with a convenient plug at night.
Which shouldn't be a problem since all but the new ST Limited models have no headlamps.
The company was quick to point out that there is now more storage space due to the change.

BRP was able to almost hold the line on prices with only a modest 7% increase in MSRP.

Damn Roger you let the cat out of the bag, I mean Lawnmower, and you forgot to mention that they removed the pesky third wheel!:roflblack:

GloryRyders
09-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Waiting with AN...TIS...A...PATION.............:popcorn:but since I have might about perfect, I see no reason to upgrade!:yes:

vrodrjs
09-12-2013, 04:16 PM
I know I am hoping that that they changed a whole lot more than the colors. They can hold the price....no need to raise that.

maybe remove the "thermal event" feature? Missed ya in KC. Make sure Joe shows you his pictures from the photo contest.

sledmaster
09-12-2013, 04:55 PM
OEMs will often test next year's models with black body work, or even last year's body work but all of the new stuff underneath. That means you could come across one but never even know it unless you were really keen. The other thing is they are likely testing in an area where there are few "smart" eyes around. This is very common with the new sleds each year, so I would suspect Spyders would be not much different. One of the tell-tale signs is often the registration, what kind of plate does it have. But if they are testing right out of Valcourt and most everyone in that area has a family member that works at the factory, even if they see one they're not going to snap a photo and post it. Bad form.

So to increase sales, do they entice new buyers or give current owners a reason to upgrade? As for using the ACE 600 engine from a snowmobile, would 60 HP be enough? That is the engine being used along with an electric motor in the hybrid version, but would they could they use that engine as a stand-alone entry level model? How many more units could they sell with a 60 HP engine at a lower price? I don't see that one coming. How about using the ACE 900 three cylinder, that makes 90 HP and is silky-smooth, but would it fit? That might make a nice entry level model, but I doubt that engine is less expensive to produce so I don't see that one coming either.

Maybe a more powerful Spyder? Now that would drive the nanny crazy, even more power. Tough to predict. The Type 991 engine has a flatter and smoother powerband than the original Type 990, so would they give us a more powerful version for the heavier RT but maintain a smooth linear powerband? The RT is where all of the sales are at, percentage wise, so this is where the changes would be most logical. Food for thought.

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I would agree with you; but so many of the 2013 issues directly involve the bodywork... They would have HAD to have been testing it with only enough cosmetic modifications to confuse the curious... :dontknow:

Deanna777
09-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Do you mean something smaller, lighter, and powered by the Ace 600 engine? :dontknow:HI Bob: I mean an entry level :spyder2: and a smaller engine ( less CC's maybe 650cc's). Maybe go for younger crowd. Just have to wait and see. Deanna777:ohyea::ohyea:

otter28169
09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
It will be more years before they make any major changes. IMO they missed with the ST. It does not take a lot of imagination to place one model between two others. A different riding position, motor options, or a drastic new body design are things we might get to see in a couple years. I am holding out hope for another company to enter the market and actually bring competition.

Just sayin'...........

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 05:37 PM
HI Bob: I mean an entry level :spyder2: and a smaller engine ( less CC's maybe 650cc's). Maybe go for younger crowd. Just have to wait and see. Deanna777:ohyea::ohyea:
They've got the ACE 60 sitting on deck... :thumbup:

I'm not sure how much smaller you could make the bikes; you need the width for "Nannyless" stability...
Perhaps a CVT drivetrain, no frunk up front, and solo seating could shorten it up a bit! :dontknow:

ARtraveler
09-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I don't think smaller is a problem. The Chinese clones are 250 cc's. People are willing to spend about $5K for them. Probably not an all day on the freeway machine--but okay for a commuter.

Deanna777
09-12-2013, 08:34 PM
They've got the ACE 60 sitting on deck... :thumbup:

I'm not sure how much smaller you could make the bikes; you need the width for "Nannyless" stability...
Perhaps a CVT drivetrain, no frunk up front, and solo seating could shorten it up a bit! :dontknow:I still would like to see the frunk up front. i dont think BRP shouldn't shorten the up the seating on the RT's. They should have a 8 gallon gas tank. Maybe having a pushbutton gas tank release button. Deanna777:ohyea:

sledmaster
09-13-2013, 07:40 AM
so many of the 2013 issues directly involve the bodywork..... :dontknow:

The bodywork on the 2013s (RS & ST) is basically the same as what we had for 2008-2009-2010-2011-2012 so do those older models also have the same heat issues, or is there something different on the 2013s that now renders the bodywork as flawed?

I assume the purpose of the bodywork is to insulate or better isolate the rider from the heat of the engine, agreed? And we indeed need to separate the issue of heat being an inconvenience and that of being a safety issue. As stated many times before, we are sitting on a heat pump so there will be heat, and the bodywork just tries to reduce this inconvenience.

But when we get to critical systems (brake master cylinders, fuel evap canisters) melting and posing a safety hazard, then yes there is cause for alarm.

So back to the question, has the bodywork been flawed since 2008, or what changes have been made to the 2013s that now make the bodywork inadequate?

Why are the 2013 ST and RT models being recalled, but not the RS? Is the ST more like the RT under the Tupperware? The RS and ST have the same bodywork, so why not the heat issues on the RS like the ST? The RS has the same CAT location as the ST for 2013 and the same bodywork, so I do not yet get why the RS would not be recalled as well. Please fill in the blanks!

Bob Denman
09-13-2013, 07:51 AM
YOur guess is as good as mine... :dontknow:
I'd guess that the GS/RS bodywork is actually signifcantly different when it comes to airflow underneath it...
The 2013 RTs and Sts were recalled because they were MELTING stuff! The RS models simply do not appear to be affected.

Show me a report of an RS with a melted brake master cylinder or evaporative canister...

sledmaster
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
That is exactly what doesn't seem to add up. I'm not aware of any reports of things melting on the RS models, but if they have the same bodywork and CAT location as the STs then what is the difference.....I tend to agree with you, the airflow underneath must be different. Has to be. But then the airflow IS different on the RTs and they are part of the recall....it will be very curious to see what BRP does for the 2014s, can hardly wait!

Bob Denman
09-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Actually, their bodywork differs a little bit...
A couple of days ago; it was pointed out the the RS body has an opening in it that lets hot air escape. This opening in closed up on the Sts...

spyder3
09-13-2013, 08:51 AM
2013 was the big change, newly designed frame. Hard to imagine they will have a bigger change right away. Maybe they ship with the heat shield's in place to prevent the meltdowns. :dontknow:

Other than that, a new color or 2. ho-hum

Lamonster
09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
:popcorn:

spyder3
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Someone needs to kidnap lamonts racoons and hold them ransom until he comes clean on the 2014's......

Bob Denman
09-13-2013, 08:58 AM
:shocked: Tick... Tick... Tick... :shocked: :bbq::bbq:
Do you think that Sunday night will produce a new record for the most members online and in here at once? :dontknow:
(We're gonna need a lot of pizza nad beer for the crowd!)

Bob Ledford
09-13-2013, 09:40 AM
I just love it! It brings out the extreme information challenged individuals in droves:banghead:

Bob Denman
09-13-2013, 09:45 AM
:shocked: I happen to consider myself to be, "challenged" on many different levels... :D :thumbup:

MrLooney
09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
what time if the unveiling Sunday Sept 15 ??

Mickay
09-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Please BRP do not touch anymore the Spyder just fix the already problem. Everytime you work on new Spyder you put more problem.:roflblack:

Bob Denman
09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
what time if the unveiling Sunday Sept 15 ??

I believe that it's 5:00pm your time...
8:00pm for me!