PDA

View Full Version : Question for those that trailer

TexasSpyder
09-11-2013, 06:12 PM
I am planning on getting an enclosed 7 X 14 tandum axle trailer. Does anyone have this setup? My question is, when loaded how far is the rear wheel from the back door? I am trying to figure a layout, and how much room I should have in front of the Spyder, and not be tail heavy to add cabinets etc ? Thanks for any help.

J. D.

spydaman60
09-11-2013, 06:20 PM
j.d., I have a 7 x 12 vee nose trailer and an rss. I have about 24" behind the rear wheel and plenty of space to walk around the front tires to get to the storage in the vee section.:thumbup:we have kayak racks mounted to the sides of the spyder.

ValCruzSpyder
09-11-2013, 06:40 PM
75480 JD, this is my setup. I have a 7x12 V. If you have a few cabinets to add, you should not have a problem with the tail weight. From the back tire of the Spyder to the door, there is about 2.5' or 3.0'. I have a RT. I will try to post pics with the Spyder loaded this weekend, if you can wait that long. Being tandem, you are given a lot of "play room" before the concern of "light tongue" comes in to play. I will be adding cabinets, as well, to our trailer. I'm looking to add them in front and a couple on the sides.

TexasSpyder
09-11-2013, 06:59 PM
75480 JD, this is my setup. I have a 7x12 V. If you have a few cabinets to add, you should not have a problem with the tail weight. From the back tire of the Spyder to the door, there is about 2.5' or 3.0'. I have a RT. I will try to post pics with the Spyder loaded this weekend, if you can wait that long. Being tandem, you are given a lot of "play room" before the concern of "light tongue" comes in to play. I will be adding cabinets, as well, to our trailer. I'm looking to add them in front and a couple on the sides.

I decided to go with the 14' due to upcomming retirement and plans to relocate and felt I needed to extra room. I would like to see the photo when you get one. I've toyed with the idea of making a small "toy hauler with fold down bed etc. also. Not sure about that one yet.

Thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing the photo.

J. D.

prin
09-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I have a 7X14 trailer. The thing you need to do more than choosing space is to move the spyder forward or back to get the proper amount of tongue weight. Tongue weight is very important. It should be 10-15 % of the total weight. There are ways to measure the tongue weight with a bathroom scale. It the tongue weight is not right it will have towing problems, sway etc. Know the weight of you trailer and bike. Then move bike forward or back in the trailer. I have about 3 feet or so in the back and lots of room in the front when I was finished. If you don't how to figure tongue weight there are several places on the internet that give specifics using some boards, a scale and maybe a cement block or two. good luck.

Ted

NancysToy
09-11-2013, 07:17 PM
The best way to place wheel chocks and tie downs is to load the trailer and check tongue weight. Tongue weight should be 10%-15% of the loaded trailer weight, but should not exceed the hitch capacity. The Spyder's center of mass is approximately at the rear of the front fenders, so the positioning can be calculated based on the Spyder weight and that center, plus the trailer axle location, but trial and error usually works best, especially for fine tuning. I actually installed my chocks using threaded inserts so that they could be moved to multiple locations in my 7'x12' v-nose.

arntufun
09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
I have a 7x14+2 (vnose) set up and the photos below should speak for themselfs. Only your imagination will limit the possibilities. :thumbup:

fispyder
09-12-2013, 05:48 AM
I have a 7 x 12x7 tall duel axle V nose. I build 2 sheft cabinets in the front top. If I had it to do again I would go with 14 or 16 foot trailer just for the add space. Don't get me wrong I have has plenty of room but with longer trailer you could do a lot more with it.

Bob Denman
09-12-2013, 07:15 AM
:thumbup: to everybody mentioning the importance of getting the tongue weight correct! :clap:
If you can do this; equip your trailer the way that you want it, and then roll your Spyder in, and play with the positioning of it until you're satisfied with the front to rear balance...

arntufun
09-12-2013, 07:47 AM
Your not hauling a backhoe, it's a 800lb Spyder and a few cabinets. Keep your Spyder's weight over the axels and do whatever you want to the remaining space you have. My tandom axel trailer doesn't even notice my Spyder pulling in, The leaf springs only slightly compress and I don't even have the trailer connected to the truck or the rear jacks down. For what you are planning to do, your not going to have any issues. A tandom axel trailer is built for this kind of stuff.

If you want the peace of mind (even though it's not needed) go ahead and install a weight ditribution system and build as many cabinets wherever your heart desires. The best advise I can give you when picking out a trailer is, BUY A V-NOSE !!!!!! It tows perfectly straight down the road with no sway, 2 extra feet inside and it will save lots of fuel in your truck compared to those flat front trailers. :thumbup:

mxz600
09-12-2013, 08:05 AM
Your not hauling a backhoe,

Or a space shuttle.:roflblack:

arntufun
09-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Or a space shuttle.:roflblack:

BUT I CAN if I need to !!!!!!! :roflblack:
:roflblack::roflblack:

TexasSpyder
09-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Got my new hauler ordered today, be here in 2 weeks. I have plans to make it intoa toy hauler before the next Spyderfest.

J. D.

Atonic
09-27-2013, 09:14 PM
Youse guys is lucky. My wife won't let me get a toy hauler. Her idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service!

hotglue
09-27-2013, 09:21 PM
When I have had to trailer FB's Spyder... it's been on a 18 ft, 12,000 pound rated gooseneck trailer.... doesn't really matter where ya put it....:2thumbs: