PDA

View Full Version : Guest what?

jerpinoy
09-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Yesterday I went in Seattle and saw the Elio three wheels. I stood in line for half hour to get inside. Supprisingly it got lot of leg room in front seat and with backseat too. A steering wheel and 3 cylinder engine. Definitely not a motorcycle but very good for a practical transportation. This a real competition of our Spyder in someway JMHO. Good thing to come for a US made transportation.
I will consider to have one.

ulflyer
09-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Did anyone question their advertised price? If so, what was their reply?

cuznjohn
09-09-2013, 01:00 PM
http://www.eliomotors.com/videos/

ARtraveler
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Have not had the opportunity to see one up close and personal. I am probably the most vocal member on this subject, and have promised to back off on comments.

I am still waiting to see about actual availability, dealership structure, and price parameters. The 2014 introduction year is now rapidly approaching. If they pull it off, it will be good. :popcorn::popcorn::bbq::bbq:

Chupaca
09-09-2013, 01:06 PM
it will be competition for the smart car and all those micro vehicles coming out. Jmo
Would you give up your spyder for an elio...??

Flash Gordon
09-09-2013, 01:26 PM
it will be competition for the smart car and all those micro vehicles coming out. Jmo

No Way.

truck 85
09-09-2013, 10:33 PM

No but might have a summer and a winter 3 wheeler

Cruzr Joe
09-09-2013, 10:51 PM
No Way

ChasingWind
09-10-2013, 12:02 AM
For $6800.00 might have to get one for winter pocket changed compared to spyder

http://www.komonews.com/news/consumer/Three-wheel-car-boasts-up-to-84mpg-for-6800-222620511.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jerpinoy
09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Did anyone question their advertised price? If so, what was their reply?

Yes the answer still $6800. Few people put down money on the spot. They have online computer at the show. One person told me, he was 145th on the list. Delivery date start on Sept. 2014.

wetmountainman
09-11-2013, 12:11 PM
There is a lot of conjecture about this company, owner/designer, and car. Many think it's a scam. From the last reports I read, they don't even have a factory yet. They are only going to make $1K per unit in profit, and coincidently that is the "reserve" cost to get in line for one. Reviews of the owner and company are not good. Pretty iffy, if you ask me. We'll see.

TokenTwoWheeler
09-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Actually, they do have a factory:
http://www.racertrust.org/News/11185

There are several other articles about the plant purchase I found with a quick google search.

Now, someone did try to use Elio Motors to run a scam on Kickstarter, but Elio Motors complained, and Kickstarter shut down the scam.

wetmountainman
09-11-2013, 12:58 PM
Actually, they do have a factory:
http://www.racertrust.org/News/11185

There are several other articles about the plant purchase I found with a quick google search.

Now, someone did try to use Elio Motors to run a scam on Kickstarter, but Elio Motors complained, and Kickstarter shut down the scam.

Well, not yet per this article (posted 2 hours ago). I think the hold up is that the city/state wants $200K earnest money and that is why Elio is selling "reserves" for $1K per unit, hoping to get 200 pre-sale commitments. It seems this story changes daily, so who know what will happen. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086835_startup-elio-motors-doesnt-get-to-buy-ex-gm-plant-after-all

Shel_TK
09-11-2013, 09:08 PM

It wasn't Elio, it was Lit Motors and the C-1 (http://www.gizmag.com/lit-motors-c1-self-balancing-motorcycle/21002/) that was being "kickstarted" by someone who wasn't actually involved with Lit.

Dan McNally
09-11-2013, 09:17 PM
Starting a business like this can't be done on a shoestring . . . look what happened to DeLorean . . . I wish them luck, as I think there is a market for this . . . but they have a long, tough, road ahead.

TokenTwoWheeler
09-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Well, not yet per this article (posted 2 hours ago). I think the hold up is that the city/state wants $200K earnest money and that is why Elio is selling "reserves" for $1K per unit, hoping to get 200 pre-sale commitments. It seems this story changes daily, so who know what will happen. http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1086835_startup-elio-motors-doesnt-get-to-buy-ex-gm-plant-after-all

I've done a bunch of reading (I won't bother with the links), and it's more complicated than that. The parrish (county in the rest of the USA), is effectively the second bidder on the plant. Elio has 30 months to come up with 7.5 million to complete the purchase. Failing that, then the plant belongs to the parrish, and the pant gets scrapped. Several months ago, the scrap value was estimated at 8.5 million. Copper prices have gone up significantly since then, so the scrap value is even higher.

For the parrish, this is a win-win. Either they get a bunch of jobs in their area, or they get a ROI of over a million.

Sucks a little for Elio.

bobnaquin
09-12-2013, 08:33 AM
I am a big fan of anything with three wheels. If Elio can deliver these for $6800 I will take two. My years of experience as a production manger and Manufacturing engineer say the numbers are not going to add up. I know nothing about producing a over the road vehicle.

TokenTwoWheeler
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
My opinion, which I failed to make clear, is that I do not think Elio is a scam. Rather, I think it is something worse: A company whose aspirations are too grand, and thus dooming the company to failure.

I would love to see them prove me wrong by making a go of it.

jerpinoy
09-12-2013, 11:04 AM
I still like them to be successful, 1. it will be a US made, 2. Jobs for us not from foreign soil, 3. I want one.
Lets get this company the benefit of the doubt.

ARtraveler
09-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Yes the answer still $6800. Few people put down money on the spot. They have online computer at the show. One person told me, he was 145th on the list. Delivery date start on Sept. 2014.

Sorry: Couldn't help but jumping on this. We have now went from early spring 2014 to September 2014. Are they going to extend it again after that?

145 people on the list? At $1000 apiece or less--they now have $145,000 in the bank towards their project. I am guessing that does not even come near paying the CEO's annual salary. Oooops--there I go again. :(

spyryder
09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Sorry: Couldn't help but jumping on this. We have now went from early spring 2014 to September 2014. Are they going to extend it again after that?

145 people on the list? At $1000 apiece or less--they now have $145,000 in the bank towards their project. I am guessing that does not even come near paying the CEO's annual salary. Oooops--there I go again. :(

Looks like they have well over 1400 deposits worth 1.4 million!

http://elio3wheel.com/vb/showthread.php?332-Numbers-Guess

ARtraveler
09-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Looks like they have well over 1400 deposits worth 1.4 million!

http://elio3wheel.com/vb/showthread.php?332-Numbers-Guess

Went to the thread above. It looked like the person writing the reply said his "prediction" was 1400 deposits.

Even with 1.4 million--that does not give them the 7.5 they need for the plant start up mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the CEO salary is getting bigger though. :sour:

TokenTwoWheeler
09-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Even with 1.4 million--that does not give them the 7.5 they need for the plant start up mentioned earlier in the thread. I think the CEO salary is getting bigger though. :sour:

The 7.5M is not plant start up money, but outright plant ownership. As I understand the situation, they can start up the plant now, but if they fail to pay the money in 30 months, they may be booted from the premises, and the plant torn down for scrap.

Keep in mind, the earnest money that people are putting up front on the car is probably not operational capital per se, but rather proof of interest in the car to get venture capital funding from investors.

The picture for Elio isn't as black as some people are painting it, but Elio certainly has their work cut out for them.

ARtraveler
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
The 7.5M is not plant start up money, but outright plant ownership. As I understand the situation, they can start up the plant now, but if they fail to pay the money in 30 months, they may be booted from the premises, and the plant torn down for scrap.

Keep in mind, the earnest money that people are putting up front on the car is probably not operational capital per se, but rather proof of interest in the car to get venture capital funding from investors.

The picture for Elio isn't as black as some people are painting it, but Elio certainly has their work cut out for them.

I have made several comments that the ball is now in Elio's court. They are undertaking a very large project. You are right that the venture capitalists need to be impressed enough in order to cough up the necessary funds to get the project rolling. We have seen this develop over a period of about three years. The production date keeps getting moved up another 6 months whenever the deadline gets close. The information is still very sketchy. Look up information about the plant, check with the Chamber of Commerce in the Louisiana town, try to find information other than advertising hype about the project--it does not seem to be there. I spent the better part of a day to find everything I could about Mr. Elio, and all of the above. I came up NOT knowing more than we all know from postings on SL.

I have already made several arguments about the red flags so will not belabor them here. I still say, I am wishing them luck, and hope they succeed in a project such as they are proposing. No deposits or money though, until I can go to my local Elio dealer and look over the color selection, etc.

TokenTwoWheeler
09-13-2013, 01:58 PM
I still say, I am wishing them luck, and hope they succeed in a project such as they are proposing. No deposits or money though, until I can go to my local Elio dealer and look over the color selection, etc.

The point we disagree on is whether or not this is a scam. However, I too won't be pulling any money out of my pocket until I can go to my local Elio dealer, do a test drive, etc.

Again, I would love to be wrong about them, and I wish them the best of luck.

Skeptical they can make a go of it, but hope they do.

ARtraveler
09-13-2013, 02:01 PM
The point we disagree on is whether or not this is a scam. However, I too won't be pulling any money out of my pocket until I can go to my local Elio dealer, do a test drive, etc.

Again, I would love to be wrong about them, and I wish them the best of luck.

Skeptical they can make a go of it, but hope they do.

Sounds like we are on the same page. No problem. :thumbup: If I have saved a few people from putting down pre-production deposits, I feel I have done good.

PatGund
09-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Yesterday I went in Seattle and saw the Elio three wheels. I stood in line for half hour to get inside. Supprisingly it got lot of leg room in front seat and with backseat too. A steering wheel and 3 cylinder engine. Definitely not a motorcycle but very good for a practical transportation. This a real competition of our Spyder in someway JMHO. Good thing to come for a US made transportation.
I will consider to have one.

Went there too. Was interesting. One of the people where kinda trash-talked the Spyder, but the other was quite interested in my take on the Elio.

I look at them as occupying different niches. The Spyder is my motorcycle. If I got an Elio, it would be as a short-range commuter car. Also something my partner could drive. (she has a spinal fusion and motorcycles are completely forbidden to her due to the helmet).

I'm kinda curious as to how Washington may end up licensing them though. A normal S/TEP class could be overkill for an Elio driver.

PatGund
09-17-2013, 01:40 PM

I would get an Elio to go WITH my Spyder, but not to replace it.

bobnaquin
09-20-2013, 07:47 AM
I have traveled the Elio route with and Aptera. The Aptera was about the came design and slated to sell in the high 20's. After placing my bet and letting it ride for a couple of years I realized that it was not going to happen and got my money back. I am somewhat sure that the Elio people will be able to get their money back.

Why they picked the $6800 price point is beyond me. I am not certain you can get a three cylinder engine and sell it for a profit at that price, let alone the rest of the car. A rebuilt BRP 3 cylinder will cost about $4k for a reference point. If they sold these for $15K I would still buy one and I am the tightest guy on the planet. The low price indicates to me that someone did not do their marketing research and that is where the thing begins to smell funny.

But good luck to them. I will still buy two at $6800. I am pretty sure I spent more than that on accessories for my first Spyder.

TokenTwoWheeler
09-20-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm kinda curious as to how Washington may end up licensing them though.

Washington state law already covers this: It has more than two wheels, is fully enclosed and has a steering wheel, therefore it is a car.