PDA

View Full Version : Right/Left turn preference?

NovaSpyder
09-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I've had my RT-S about four months and I continue to learn to handle it better each time I ride. I've put on about 6,000 mi. so far. I have noticed that I have a preference for right hand turns/curves. I took my two wheeler out to see if I had a preference on it and perhaps slight favoritiism to right handers but I could have been over thinking it. This has been discussed on two wheeler forums but as we all know the :spyder2: is a very different driving experience.

It could be I don't like leaning "into" traffic, subconciously anyway. I am 99.9% sure it is me and not the bike, also I am right handed.

So I was wondering if anyone else has right or left leaning preferences. (Oh I can just hear the political jokes now!)

Dan

Chupaca
09-08-2013, 07:30 PM
many have preferences as to turns. On mountain roads I prefer to turn into the mountain than towards the abyss..I handle them the same and on regular streets have no preference..with time it gets better..!! :thumbup:

jwulf74
09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I prefer Nascar style... left turns. For some reason they "feel" better than right, especially on 2 wheels. Probably because I put my left foot down first and have the mental feeling that I would catch myself better in the event of a fall.

Bob Denman
09-08-2013, 07:56 PM
turns???
YES!! :yes::ohyea::yes:

Desert Spyder
09-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Life's difficult decisions......

Right. Less cross traffic.

Cleg
09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I've had my RT-S about four months and I continue to learn to handle it better each time I ride. I've put on about 6,000 mi. so far. I have noticed that I have a preference for right hand turns/curves. I took my two wheeler out to see if I had a preference on it and perhaps slight favoritiism to right handers but I could have been over thinking it. This has been discussed on two wheeler forums but as we all know the :spyder2: is a very different driving experience.

It could be I don't like leaning "into" traffic, subconciously anyway. I am 99.9% sure it is me and not the bike, also I am right handed.

So I was wondering if anyone else has right or left leaning preferences. (Oh I can just hear the political jokes now!)

Dan
:bowdown:No politics for sure, but because I have my right leg and am able to "feel" the :spyder2: better when turning to the right, thus
I prefer to Right:banghead:

boborgera
09-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Hard left turns/curves, Get my attention, whether I'm on a bike or trike, Right turns no problems.
And i know the reason, Way back when i was young and foolish, I came into a left curve way too hot
and dropped the bike [low side] hard.. Some things you don't forget, and don't feel like repeating...

CapNCrunch
09-09-2013, 09:08 AM

Dan I, too, much prefer Right Hand turns. I've often wondered about that, but can't explain it. That's just the way it is. Right Hand turns are just easier. CapNCrunch : =)

SpyderDon
09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Funny thing, just returned from an 800 mile weekend in SW VA, lots of turns and we discussed this issue. I would much rather turn right. I think it has something to do with the throttle, lot more difficult pushing and turning at the same time, also when turning right you are more likely to be able to see the edge of the road and feel more comfortable. Sometimes it's difficult to "look through curves" when you feel you're heading toward the edge of the road and when you look right while going left you're creating a big problem. Sure enjoyed ryding the "Back of The Dragon", from Marion to Tazewell, VA on route 16, beautiful, almost new road, little traffic, of course this is "off season".

OldDog
09-09-2013, 09:38 AM
It seems I remember something about a preference for right hand turns in the MSF course. The instructor mentioned it.
My nemesis has always been left hand uphill take offs on a grade. I also remember the phrase "It's not if you'll drop your bike but when". I've embarrassed myself a time or two dropping a bike on a pull away.

Bob Denman
09-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I also remember the phrase "It's not if you'll drop your bike but when". I've embarrassed myself a time or two dropping a bike on a pull away.

No doubt; proper throttle control is essential...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD2ONf2s9rs

Bob Ledford
09-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Right preferred

OldCowboy
09-09-2013, 10:44 AM
When I first started ryding on 2-wheels, nothing scared me more than a downhill left turn. Even after 27,000 on the H-D and 1500 on the Spyder, downhill left turns are my least favorite. If the curve is flat, then I have no preference on the :spyder2:.

Orange monster
09-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I prefer right hand turns as well. For me it is much easier to control throttle and dip to the outside of the road "inside of the turn on right hander" . On left hand turns the throttle is much further away and you are dipping toward oncoming traffic.:shocked:

ARtraveler
09-09-2013, 01:41 PM
The preference MAY have something to do with right handed/left handed preference. I had not given it much thought--but I guess that I also like rights. Don't know why (I am a lefty)?

My standard proceedure is to plant the foot on the outside of the turn and lean slightly into the turn--this seems to reduce any bad "g" forces. I also try to be at a speed where I can accelerate slightly through the turn. Braking midway through a turn means your going to fast at the beginning.

CurtG
09-09-2013, 02:53 PM
:D Up until now I hadn't given this much thought. I'll have to check next few rides.

Ask the wife on her Ural and she'll tell you she much prefers left hand turns "flying the car" is not one of her favorite things :yikes:. Yet:D

Ride and ride safe,