PDA

View Full Version : front wheel rpm's in curve/turn

wyliec
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I have gloryders installed with the Y logo on the cap. They were installed with the Y's pointing in the same direction. After a few days of riding I noticed the Y's no longer point in the same direction. Is that because the inside wheel in a turn turns less revolutions as compared to the outside wheel? Just curious.

Illinois Boy
09-08-2013, 12:31 PM
I have gloryders installed with the Y logo on the cap. They were installed with the Y's pointing in the same direction. After a few days of riding I noticed the Y's no longer point in the same direction. Is that because the inside wheel in a turn turns less revolutions as compared to the outside wheel? Just curious.

Yes...

reverendg
09-08-2013, 12:38 PM
That, and much more. If you ride over a bump on one side and not the other, that wheel travels slightly further distance wise than the other, etc.....

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2013, 01:03 PM
That, and much more. If you ride over a bump on one side and not the other, that wheel travels slightly further distance wise than the other, etc.....
Depending on the size of the BUMP it could be as much as..............................a millonth of a mile different ..so be carefull :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: Mike

reverendg
09-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Depending on the size of the BUMP it could be as much as..............................a millonth of a mile different ..so be carefull :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: Mike
Good point. At that rate it would take 100 bumps to move the tire 6.3 inches further than the other, or close to 1/10th of the circumference of the tire. 1000 bumps would almost add one extra rotation to a single tire. How many bumps in a mile?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Good point. At that rate it would take 100 bumps to move the tire 6.3 inches further than the other, or close to 1/10th of the circumference of the tire. 1000 bumps would almost add one extra rotation to a single tire. How many bumps in a mile?

Man, hats off to you......I was only making light of this fact......:thumbup: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :yes:.....Mike

reverendg
09-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Man, hats off to you......I was only making light of this fact......:thumbup: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :yes:.....MikeIts a beautiful day, but I feel blah, so I'm on the couch while the trike sits in the driveway....gotta do something to amuse myself.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Its a beautiful day, but I feel blah, so I'm on the couch while the trike sits in the driveway....gotta do something to amuse myself.

Well looking at your Avatar .........................................I wouldn't be doing Math equations ! ! !:hun: :thumbup: :yes: :yes: :yes:.................................I meant that strictly as a compliment. :shocked:..............Mike :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Bob Denman
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Wylie,
:lecturef_smilie: This is a VERY serious problem that could lead to injury, death, or even embarssment! :shocked:
You must have your "Y-sensors" calibrated after proper installation and laser alignment by a BRP certified technician...
Failure to do so may result in the failure of the onboard systems that monitor "coolness"... :roflblack:

wyliec
09-08-2013, 04:39 PM
However far it moves, I won't be looking at it any more so as not to get the urge to reposition the caps.

Bob Denman
09-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Is the little "OCD" inside you screaming yet?? :yikes:
MIne still does!

wyliec
09-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Is the little "OCD" inside you screaming yet?? :yikes:
MIne still does!

The little OCD gloryder light has been turned off.

reverendg
09-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Are the spokes on the wheels, and the lug nut orientations correct? It would be a shame if you aligned the "Y"s only to find out that one set of spokes is set to 12 oclock and the other is at 1 oclock.

wyliec
09-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Are the spokes on the wheels, and the lug nut orientations correct? It would be a shame if you aligned the "Y"s only to find out that one set of spokes is set to 12 oclock and the other is at 1 oclock.

I already said I'm not looking anymore. Besides, I already checked it out yesterday and yes they are different. Must be one too many bumps. Do you think if I drive backwards for a while everything will line up with the earth's geographic north pole or would it be the magnetic north?

Chupaca
09-08-2013, 06:55 PM
though I nor anyone I know can see both sides at the same time I resigned myself to just not worrying about it..I have "Jaguar" logos all around and would love if they always stopped horizontal. That will not happen nor will both sides be in the same location. I have lifted a wheel in many a curve and that wheel gets a quarter turn before nanny puts it down.... Just enjoy..!! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
09-08-2013, 08:10 PM
The judges at a bike show would notice this sort of thing... :shocked:

SNOOPY
09-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Dang, now I have to install mirrors on my fenders so I can monitor if my hub emblems are aligned! :banghead:

NancysToy
09-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes, the wheels do travel different distances when turning, so they will never retain alignment of the emblems. Car show fanatics have sometimes jacked up their cars and rotated the wheels to align them the same for the judges. I have seen the same thing done to align the valve stems for a show. OCD anyone?

BajaRon
09-08-2013, 10:01 PM
A solution would be to make them 'Spinners' with a weighted side so they would always orient the same way when stopped.

spyryder
09-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Just buy a Rolls! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmuER5eUAh0

Bob Denman
09-09-2013, 06:46 AM
. Car show fanatics have sometimes jacked up their cars and rotated the wheels to align them the same for the judges. I have seen the same thing done to align the valve stems for a show. OCD anyone?

:shocked: I just KNEW that was going to happen... :shocked:

OldCowboy
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Yes, the wheels do travel different distances when turning, so they will never retain alignment of the emblems. Car show fanatics have sometimes jacked up their cars and rotated the wheels to alingn them the same for the judges. I have seen the same thing done to align the valve stems for a show. OCD anyone?

It's a fine line between attention to detail and OCD.

Bob Denman
09-09-2013, 09:05 AM
It's a fine line between attention to detail and OCD.
Well THAT makes sense! :thumbup:

I was mistaken in thinking that OCD WAS attention to detail... ;)

wyliec
09-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Well THAT makes sense! :thumbup:

I was mistaken in thinking that OCD WAS attention to detail... ;)

Just to take it slightly off topic b/c the OP won't care, after completing my over 1 hr. strength training this A.M., I then spent another 20 mins. going into each detail of the bench press to determine where I screwed up. I critique everything.

Bob Denman
09-09-2013, 10:29 AM
(Note to self: NEVER arm-wrestle with Wylie over the bar tab... )